Scumm

Ok, so use this as a Scumm game discussion but my real motive for opening this is... which next?

I want to branch out. Done both Indy's, Day of the Tentacle and Maniac Mansion...

Also played a little of one of the Monkey Island games.

But I'm going between trying Loom and The Dig next. Which would be the better choice?

spiralout

I got bored of Loom about half-way through. But plenty of people love it. I'm not too keen on the old-fashioned fantasy stuff. Not a whole lot of people love The Dig, but it's one of my favorites. It has a great sense of atmosphere and exploration.

My favorite scumm game is Full Throttle. You should definitely try that eventually.

Kingsley

Full Throttle is grrrreat... "when I'm on the road, I'm undestructible" (y) Try it.

I'm a Monkey Island guy, though. Specially the first two games.
Loom is sloooow, but has it's style.
The last one I really enjoyed was Grim Fandango (don't know if it still used scumm). Where are those games gone? :(

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Yeah, Loom, The Dig, and Zak McKracken are the only three that I haven't played.

I also highly recommend Grim Fandango, which is a film noir adventure in the Mexican Land of the Dead, if you've not played it.

Dust McAlan

Even though Grim Fandango isn't a SCUMM game, it's easily one of the best adventure games released by LucasArts.

I'd like to throw in that The Dig is another gem, but it is a flawed one. The delivery of the lines is somewhat lacking, and the eventual conclusion of the game is corny at best. But man, if you want an adventure game with atmosphere and some truly excellent puzzles, then play it. Play it immediately.

I downloaded a bunch of the games missing from my collection the other day... Full Throttle, The Dig, Zack, etc.

Full Throttle will be the first game I attempt after my last exam on Monday...

I'll download Grim Fandango too. I remember when it came out. If I recall, my folks wouldn't let me get it since it was Rated T. :p

How does Grim Fandango run on XP? Will I need to use DosBox for it? If so I may not even bother right now. DosBox ends up being more of a pain than it's worth half the time. They need a better frontend.

Vazel

DosBox does have various good frontends. Grim Fandango is a Windows game however. And I know these games are out of print but it still seems bad form to me to talk about downloading games.

Vazel said:
DosBox does have various good frontends. Grim Fandango is a Windows game however. And I know these games are out of print but it still seems bad form to me to talk about downloading games.

Why's that?

If I buy it off of eBay, the seller's getting money, not the developers. I'm a firm believer of Abandonware. It's not like I pirate the latest and the greatest; I only play old games. I buy the ones I like just to have a physical copy, but don't give me that nonsense about intellectual property. Intellectual Property laws are ****. They need a serious reform. If no one's profiting and something's just sitting unused, it's pointless to horde it. Either make it available or tough noodles.

Vazel

These games are not abandonware. Their ownership is not in question. They are owned by LucasArts which is still in business. They are just out of print.

What you think is ok is irrelevant. Downloading is copyright infringement. And come on a lot of these games you can buy for $10 off eBay.

Check out this post by a mod which indicates pirating no matter how justified you feel about it is frowned upon on this forum.

Vazel said:
These games are not abandonware. Their ownership is not in question. They are owned by LucasArts which is still in business. They are just out of print.

What you think is ok is irrelevant. Downloading is copyright infringement. And come on a lot of these games you can buy for $10 off eBay.

Check out this post by a mod which indicates pirating no matter how justified you feel about it is frowned upon on this forum.

A. I'm well aware.

B. I have a very firm grasp of copyright law.

C. You didn't listen to a think I just said. Intellectual Property Laws needs a REFORM. That was my point.

D. I'm very aware of forum rules and don't need a lecture on them. But you might. The rules are no facilitating of piracy. I have not. I've mentioned piracy--the discussion is not of itself wrong. I have broken no rules.

Vazel

ResidentAlien said:
Intellectual Property Laws needs a REFORM. That was my point.
And this is the place to discuss that? All I'm getting at is what happens on your backyard is your business. But talking about downloading out in the open just seems bad form to me.

Vazel said:
And this is the place to discuss that? All I'm getting at is what happens on your backyard is your business. But talking about downloading out in the open just seems bad form to me.

Well, as I've explained to you, it's certainly not. It's a legitimate discussion. No one's condemned the discussion here; it's a-ok by forum rules. And what I do and what I discuss are up to me. No one's hurt by the word "download" so to even scold me for it is pretty absurd.

This is no more the topic for a discussion on copyright reform than it is the place for a discussion on the virtues of downloading.

So back on topic since you've derailed this...

While not SCUMM... a friend just mentioned this to me the other day:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Kyrandia

Seems to be in the style of the LucasArts Point-And-Click adventures. Anyone have any thoughts on this game?

Just finished Full Throttle. Thanks for the suggestion, spiralout. Damn good, though too damn short. I definitely enjoyed it though.