Temple of the Forbidden Eye Paper Model

Goonie

I posted a link to this in the custom display thread, but I thought it should get it's own. It's a paper model of the Temple of the Forbidden Eye in Disneyland.

Here's the link to the parts/instructions:
http://www.disneyexperience.com/models/temple_model.php

Here's how it looks when completed:
2477089417_b00e18f95a.jpg

The model is 21" in height. There's 491 parts!

I started working on it last night. Here's a couple of photos of my progress:

43400004Small.jpg

This is the base. I decided to make it action figure friendly. I reinforced the base with cardboard. I am printing the pieces on card stock, however, a model of this size I thought it was still flimsy.

Here, Indy gives you an idea how big the model is:
43400012Small.jpg

I started putting the skirting around the base. There are four pieces to put under the base to reinforce it, however, I will be replacing those with cardboard.

I'll update this thread as I progress.

My congrts to Trader Sam for designing a great model. (y) :cool:

Goonie

Another update:

Just a shot from the bottom of the base showing the cardboard reinforcement. I'm going to add some more cardoard cross braces for reinforcement here:
43400034Small.jpg

One of the sides of the temple stairs:
43400022Small.jpg

Indy posing with the stairs under construction:
43400040Small.jpg

I deviated from the instructions at this point. Once again I reinforced the stairs with cardboard. I recommend printing out another sheet with parts B1 and B5. Cut out the white stair profile. Glue what you cut out on a piece of cardboard as a stencil, and cut it out from the cardboard. It makes it a lot easier to construct the stairs this way:
43400039Small.jpg

A back shot of the stairs showing the cardboard reinforcements:
43400046Small.jpg

The completed stairs ready to be glued to the temple's base:
43400043Small.jpg

I do have some white showing where the pieces are glued. I'll probably use some paint to cover these areas up once the model is finished.

:cool:

Goonie

It was raining all day yesterday, so I worked on the model. Here's my progress:

Main temple structure starting to take shape:
43400052Small.jpg

Inside of the temple:
43400053Small.jpg

A detailed shot of the inside. Trader Sam didn't have a full photo of the mural on the wall so he made it appear as if it were damaged at the bottom:
43400054Small.jpg

I'll probably have some of the outer panels on it later today.

The only thing this model will need when it's finished will be a paper model Fastpass machine.;)

Goonie

I didn't work on my Temple of the Forbidden Eye model for the last few weeks because my prnter was acting up, but today I finally returned to it and made some more progress:

I reinforced the base with cardboard as well as the steps with a cardboard strip:
43400082Small.jpg

The front of the temple with the inside part attached as well as the outer walls:
43400083Small.jpg

The back portal of the temple:
43400085Small.jpg

A closeup of the back portal:
43400087Small.jpg

The 3.75" figures are a little bit taller than the openings but they are quite close to the scale of the model.

glorbes

This is going to make a great display piece...it really is a great idea to adapt this paper model for the Indy figs.

Can't wait to see the final product (y)

Goonie

A little bit of progress on my Temple of the Forbidden Eye model;

my first attempt at the first roof lip:

43400206Small.jpg

Two corners ripped. For those of you that are building this, don't score those tabs. Scoring will just make the tabs more fragile here.

Here is my second attempt at the roof lip with it glued to the temple;

43400204Small.jpg

A better result however it was tough putting it on as the curved parts wanted to make the three pieces that make the U-shaped lip warp. I'm going to have to do some touch-ups on the back after.

Next up, was the construction of the pillars;

43400202Small.jpg

These were a pain in the butt.

For those of you that are building the model, on page 5 of the instructions, glue pieces C14/C15/C16 together and onto the temple. Skip putting C17/C18 on until after you put the pillars on. It makes it easier to put the pillars on.

Goonie

It's starting to look like a temple! (y)

43400208Small.jpg

The white sections on the wall is where the rubble pieces go. I still haven't made those. The back side gave me some problems so I'm going to have to do some small repairs and touchups.

michael

It's looking great man! Haha, by the way, I love the picture with Indy during the construction, should have found a hard hat to put on him!

DutchIndy

Wow Goonie, very good! You really are doing a great job. Unfortunately, my university is a b!$%# at the moment, so I didn't have any chance to continue with mine. Got some new tools though. :)

Thanks for the tips btw!

Goonie

vf wing said:
Any more progress on this beast, Goonie? It's looking flat out amazing!

Not much since my last update. I just cut out some parts for the rubble. I've been busy with job hunting and there's a chance I may be moving to Calgary or Edmonton in the next bunch of weeks, so my work on the temple has slowed down a bit. I'm one of those people that gets the urge to work on something for a while, then I got to take a break for a bit, then I work on it some more, etc. I'll probably post an update in a couple of weeks. After this weekend, which is Thanksgiving here in Canada, I'm off to Calgary to do some job hunting, so I won't get a chance to work on the temple next week.

Dr. HenryJones.jr

is the finished the paper model?

I have tried at office printer, this color is very good as than normal type printer. But I am worried that the paper is too small picture... I think the version is high zoom... where you have big paper model. I do not know, how?

Goonie

Dr. HenryJones.jr said:
is the finished the paper model?

I have tried at office printer, this color is very good as than normal type printer. But I am worried that the paper is too small picture... I think the version is high zoom... where you have big paper model. I do not know, how?

My model is approximately 1/4 complete. Still a long way to go and what's coming up will take some time because there are a lot of little pieces that need to be constructed.

When you print you don't need to zoom anything, however, in the instructions there are two setting to set up in Print in Acrobat or Adobe Reader. The instructions say:
When printing with Adobe Reader, it is important to use proper printing settings for correct alignment and scaling. Click the Print Tool button. In the Print Settings dialog box, set Page Scaling to none, and enable the Auto-Rotate and Center option. Unless you are a professional modeler, you should print on 8.5" x 11" (U.S. Letter) sheets, and should not change the recommended print settings.

Dr. HenryJones.jr

Goonie said:
My model is approximately 1/4 complete. Still a long way to go and what's coming up will take some time because there are a lot of little pieces that need to be constructed.

When you print you don't need to zoom anything, however, in the instructions there are two setting to set up in Print in Acrobat or Adobe Reader. The instructions say:

ok, I have Adobe Reader at the work, I think it is the size normal...my mom says, small model?? She think it must be big... I think A3 paper format...