How good are you at Temple of Doom the arcade game?

MolaRam2

I love this game, and have been playing it on Mame like crazy for the last 2-3 weeks. I just beat it finally on medium (I beat it on easy before playing medium), and am now working on hard, which looks like it will be quite a challenge.

metalinvader

I can only beat it on easy.I can get pretty far on the other two settings.usually on the last mine cart level but always end up dying.

Hard game but it's loads of fun.

Michael24

I haven't played the actual arcade game since it was originally in arcades, but I had the NES one growing up and always found it quite a challenge. Once I got all the way to the final temple level, where you have to make your way across the pool of lava atop all the crocodile heads, but I didn't make it and never got that far again. Difficult game for sure.

Quickening

I love this game. On hard I can get past the rope bridge to the Bonus Round where the Maharajah is running around with the voodoo doll. Damn difficult.

MolaRam2

I just got to the rope bridge on hard for the first time and beat it on my first try. I'm not too good on the Challenge Stage though, I have only found two statues.

I wish there was an extra hard difficulty level.

Crack that whip

I used to be... ehhh, not too bad at it, I guess, though I was certainly never what I'd call good. It's a lot of fun, though! I remember a theater that had a copy of the game in their lobby for years, and I'd frequently play it before or after seeing some other movie there. This game is one of my own personal Holy Grails for my Indy collection (that is, I want an actual original coin-op arcade game, not just copies of the ROMs on my computer to use with MAME or something).

Michael24 said:
I haven't played the actual arcade game since it was originally in arcades, but I had the NES one growing up and always found it quite a challenge.

Aren't there two different adaptations of this game for the NES, done by different developers / publishers?

Crack that whip said:
I used to be... ehhh, not too bad at it, I guess, though I was certainly never what I'd call good. It's a lot of fun, though! I remember a theater that had a copy of the game in their lobby for years, and I'd frequently play it before or after seeing some other movie there. This game is one of my own personal Holy Grails for my Indy collection (that is, I want an actual original coin-op arcade game, not just copies of the ROMs on my computer to use with MAME or something).

Aren't there two different adaptations of this game for the NES, done by different developers / publishers?

No. They were the very same adaptation. The first was released in black cartridge by a company who released unlicensed games on the NES--the company was called Tengen. That's the version I have. The game was then re-released properly licensed by a company called something like Mindscape if memory serves. There's absolutely no difference between the two copies save for the color and shape of the cartridge.

Agent Crab

I played the NES one back in the day, the Tengen copy, since the rental place had that copy only.

I should take a crack at playing the Arcdae version someday. I have played the MSX version of Temple of Doom, though.

ResidentAlien said:
No. They were the very same adaptation. The first was released in black cartridge by a company who released unlicensed games on the NES--the company was called Tengen. That's the version I have. The game was then re-released properly licensed by a company called something like Mindscape if memory serves. There's absolutely no difference between the two copies save for the color and shape of the cartridge.

There are differences in the packaging, but I don't know about the game itself. They are different then the arcade game though.

I used to be quite good at it, we had it at the arcade I worked at. I bought that one, but don't play it much. I can get through on easy no problem and I know where all the kids are. Sometimes I have problems with the rope bridge. I can't remember the last time I played on either hard or medium though.

para_owl

Spalkomania said:
I downloaded this for MAME again recently, I'm still crap at it.:eek: It's a bit more fun than I remember.

First time poster..

Can you give me a link for that? I've been wanting to play that arcade game for so long. I've found tons of classic arcade games, but finding this game is making me feel a little like Dr.Jones.

--Will.

para_owl

Way of the dodo said:
They really need to include this as a bonus on some future Indy game. (and maybe the horribly aggravating Atari Raiders game)

I was hoping that someone would say TOD is an unlockable in Lego Indy.

--Will.

MolaRam2

para_owl said:
First time poster..

Can you give me a link for that? I've been wanting to play that arcade game for so long. I've found tons of classic arcade games, but finding this game is making me feel a little like Dr.Jones.

--Will.

I sent you the link through a PM. I wasn't sure if we could give direct links to roms on the message board, but I know I can tell people to search on Romnation.net for it.

michael

So, how good are you REALLY at the Temple of Doom Arcade

So I recently watched King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters and finally decided to look up one of the gentleman in the movie, Brian Kuh. and check out what records he may have. If you've seen the movie, he's the one that basically retired to play classic games for a 'living.' Seems he has Temple of Doom as one of his best scores, but not the record, anymore.

Here are the records, taken from Twin Galaxies.

Easy Path (3 lives)

Easy Path (7 lives) no scores posted

Medium Path (3 lives)

Medium Path (7 lives) no scores posted

Hard Path (3 lives)

Hard Path (7 lives)

Hard Path (3 lives) seems to be the 'manliest' of routes, and obvious with all the submissions it has.

My question, because I have never played the Arcade version of Temple of Doom, how hard is it?

Are these beastly scores that nobody on this forum could achieve? Donkey Kong for arcade is incredibly difficult to put up a high score, as that movie indicates, does Temple of Doom hold a candle near it difficulty wise?

DoomTown

LOVED this game...Being obsessed with "Temple of Doom",whenever I went to an arcade as a kid, this was always the first game I searched for. I remember being pretty good at it(I dumped a years worth of allowance in quarters into this game...), and one day plan on purchasing one...For a game with only a few stages, it was still incredibly fun,especially when you are in the mine car. "We walk from here!!!"

Tank Driver

Bumping this topic up

I've been playing this game since around '87. This is when it first appeared at my local arcade. Funny thing, I was always... I don't know if scared is the appropriate word here, but let's just say a quarter didn't last me too long!

I got to a point where I can beat *all* the levels in each one of the difficulty settings.

Unofficially, I have the world record in all the level difficulties. I mean, it's just a matter of recording. I do, however, have a "rough" version of one of my runs on the 'hard setting'.

I'll preface by saying... this is NOT the Mame version. This is the real deal. I've owned this game since '89. There is absolutely no cheats involved, and the game was set on Twin Galaxies settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OMRLV5je3c

Couple things to note: There is some profanity:eek:. And sometimes the view can be obstructed by my fat shoulder:eek: :eek:

Enjoy the viewing!:whip: