TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Literature
User Name
Password

Old 06-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
Peacock's-Eye
IndyFan

Peril At Delphi

I'm almost finished PaD. Will post a review here soon.

So, what do you guys think of it?
Peacock's-Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
foreignerfred
IndyFan

It's an okay adventure, but it seldom feels like an Indy adventure, though I know it's the "growing into the Indy we know" type of story.

PAD is the only MacGregor Indy novel I've read, and I was moderately satisfied with it. His novels seem to have the best premises out of all the expanded universe stuff for Indy in my opinion, but he doesn't go too far out of his way to make his novels encompass the fun of Indy's pulpy adventures.

I'm about to complete "Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs" (yes, a very dubious title!) by Max McCoy, and even with the craziness of the MacGuffin, the story, characterization, and description of set pieces really feel like pure Indy to me! I intend to read all of McCoy's books now, a feeling that I didn't experience at the end of PAD (and I didn't hate the book either, I'm just saying!)

Have you read any McCoy's books?
foreignerfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
Peacock's-Eye
IndyFan

I give McCoy high marks (check my reviews elsewhere on this board). They're great. "Hollow Earth" is almost as good as the 4 movies!

The reason I picked up PaD is that I ordered the 4th McCoy and it's late arriving, and I saw PaD for 4.50 at WalMart, so I bought it.

It's a little off, since it's Young Indy two years before Young Indy (the tv series). But I like it. I'm anxious to finish and try "Dance of the Giants" which has a full grown Indy.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
Indy~Annie
IndyFan

i thought PAD was pretty good....but Max Mccoy's books got his personality just perfect!!! i love his,my fav writer.
Indy~Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
indyt
IndyFan

Max McCoy, I feel, is the best. But as you know, you have to read them in order to enjoy them the best.
indyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
Goonie
IndyFan

I finished reading Peril last week. It was OK. I felt it had a slow start. I can't really compare it to the others as the only other one I read so far was Dance of the Giants. I'm currently reading the novelization of Crystal Skull, then I'll read Seven Veils.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
Peacock's-Eye
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie
I finished reading Peril last week. It was OK. I felt it had a slow start. I can't really compare it to the others as the only other one I read so far was Dance of the Giants. I'm currently reading the novelization of Crystal Skull, then I'll read Seven Veils.

I'm looking forward to "Seven Veils" / "Genesis Deluge", since they tie together.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
scottbravesfan
IndyFan

They are all pretty good. MacGregor does a good job with them so I would pick up the rest of the novels as well. Plus the more people pick them up maybe they will relaunch the series. They have tons and tons of Star Wars books yet they haven't made a new Indy book in so long.
scottbravesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #9
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
PaD was actually the first Indy novel I had ever read. I enjoyed it then and I still enjoy it now. I enjoy most of the Indy novels, I like both of McGregor's and McCoy's. Btw, you might want to read Dance of the Giants before you read Seven Veils and Genesis Deluge. Those three are attached together.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:33 PM   #10
Peacock's-Eye
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Indy
PaD was actually the first Indy novel I had ever read. I enjoyed it then and I still enjoy it now. I enjoy most of the Indy novels, I like both of McGregor's and McCoy's. Btw, you might want to read Dance of the Giants before you read Seven Veils and Genesis Deluge. Those three are attached together.

I have DotG, just waiting to polish off the last few pages of PaD!
Old 06-11-2008, 08:42 PM   #11
deckard24
IndyFan

I just started PAD a few nights ago, and I'm through the first 100 pages. It's not bad so far, but not great! I know it's supposed to be young Indy, and the description of the character sounds like a young Ford, but for some reason all I can keep picturing is Sean Patrick Flannery. I find this really distracting, and it doesn't help that I wasn't a big fan of the Young Indy Chronicles!

For those who have read the McGregor novels, are they all about a Younger Indy(early 20's), or does the timeline reach closer to TOD 1935?
deckard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #12
Peacock's-Eye
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckard24
I just started PAD a few nights ago, and I'm through the first 100 pages. It's not bad so far, but not great! I know it's supposed to be young Indy, and the description of the character sounds like a young Ford, but for some reason all I can keep picturing is Sean Patrick Flannery. I find this really distracting, and it doesn't help that I wasn't a big fan of the Young Indy Chronicles!

For those who have read the McGregor novels, are they all about a Younger Indy(early 20's), or does the timeline reach closer to TOD 1935?

Just going by the cover art, it looks like the next one is about a grown up Indy!
Old 06-11-2008, 08:57 PM   #13
deckard24
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock's-Eye
Just going by the cover art, it looks like the next one is about a grown up Indy!
I hope so!

I read Hollow Earth a while back and really enjoyed that one! That book just felt like Indy adventure, whereas Peril at Delphi just isn't cutting it! I'm only 100 pages in so far so hopefully it'll improve!
deckard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:20 AM   #14
indyt
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock's-Eye
I'm looking forward to "Seven Veils" / "Genesis Deluge", since they tie together.

Those are the ones I am reading right now. Seem pretty good so far.
indyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:00 PM   #15
Katarn07
IndyFan

I loved all of MacGregor's books except for Unicorn's Legacy. I also remember enjoying them more than Dino Eggs (only McCoy one I read). I had no trouble picturing Ford. It's clearly him on the cover! I know he gets a gun in the next book, so maybe that'll help with the rough and tumble character we knew from the films?

Man, all this love for McCoy makes me feel the urge to go out and read them.
Katarn07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:16 PM   #16
Peacock's-Eye
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarn07
I loved all of MacGregor's books except for Unicorn's Legacy. I also remember enjoying them more than Dino Eggs (only McCoy one I read). I had no trouble picturing Ford. It's clearly him on the cover! I know he gets a gun in the next book, so maybe that'll help with the rough and tumble character we knew from the films?

Man, all this love for McCoy makes me feel the urge to go out and read them.
Read "Hollow Earth". It's really fun & good.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:17 AM   #17
Peacock's-Eye
IndyFan

Ok, finished. Took a while - a little "Indy'd" out!

Overall, as a prelude to a book series c. 1990, pre-YIJ, this was a good read. Well written for what it is, with an intriguing plot, and memorable secondary character like Jack Shannon & Nikos. My biggest complaint is that McGregor kept switching POV, sometimes within the same paragraph, and also showed far too much of the story from the POV of characters who die before the end of the book. The POV should have stayed firmly with Indy - this is an IJ adventure, not a stand alone period adventure.

But I can say it's worth reading. It exists within its own continuity, free of YIJ. But it creates an equally enjoyable Indy world. McGregor can write, and he "gets" the material. I've started "Dance of the Giants" and it looks like McGregor learned alot from penning PaD.

Bottom line: if you've ever tried to read other 'licensed fiction' (Star Trek, Star Wars etc) for some light fun escapism, you know how utterly bad it can be. PaD reads like a real novel you wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen reading on the subway (it's no worse than Dan Brown - hey, it's better!).

INDIANA JONES AND THE PERIL AT DELPHI
I give it a solid 3 out of 5 Indys!

Old 06-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #18
Lao_Che
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckard24

McGregor ends with 1929, Caidin is 1930 and McCoy is 1933/1934
Lao_Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:47 AM   #19
Johnny Nys
IndyFan

That point of view switching bothered me as well when I re-read them (first them I read them I was a lot younger and didn't have as much experience with writing fiction).
Johnny Nys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:13 PM   #20
oliverjones18
IndyFan

I don't know why but when reading IJ and the genesis deluge i couldn't picture ford just SPF and Macgreagor never really describes indys gear even if we know what he looks like I like to read his description in books
oliverjones18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:21 AM   #21
Rococo
IndyFan

In the middle of reading it now- it's my first Indy novel (besides the film novelizations) so I don't have really anything to compare, but I'm liking it more than I expected to, given the lack of "familiar" peripheral characters. I'm looking forward to reading some of the other, recommended books as well- thank goodness for slow nights at work with nothing to do
Rococo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:21 PM   #22
TrailBlazer
IndyFan

I think McCoy does a slightly better job of capturing the character and keeping the story moving quickly. McGregor's novels, starting with "Peril", are worthy adventures that get bogged down here and there. Sometimes clunky dialogue and a hesitancy to keep the foot on the gas during the action sequences with McGregor.
TrailBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:21 PM   #23
Indy-Anna
IndyFan

I read "The Peril at Delphi" a little while ago and finished it in about 2 days, which is really unusual for me, because I'm not a fast reader. I couldn't put it down though. Overall, I thought it was pretty good. I can't give too many details on what I liked and disliked about it because it was about a year ago when I read it, but I liked it.

I'm working on "Dance of the Giants" now.
Indy-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #24
IndyNovelsFan
IndyFan

Just finished reading this one, and I give it a solid 8 out of 10. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Characterizations were very good. Young Indy is driven by his desire to become an archeologist. In addition, we see his interact with an influential woman in his life. He learns from her to be true to himself, to go after his goal, and do what is right for him.

I thought the background information was solid. I did a little online research on the true Oracle at delphi, and MacGregor does a great job weaving this mythical legend into a believable Indy adventure. Indy is not traipsing through the jungle, searching for an artifact. Instead he is truly "coming of age" discovering himself and becoming comfortable in his own skin.

I liked the depth of character that MacGregor gives Indy. And I liked the comraderies of Jack Shannon and Conrad. And I enjoyed the hero worship that Nikos brought to the story. All in all, this is a very satisfying read. I see it fitting well into the Indy timeline, and it helps us understand the development of the character.

Why not a 10? I got the feeling the author was holding back a little, maybe hesitant to make the character more his own. I think this will improve in the future volumes.

I remember starting this one, and reading to a certain point. However, I think this was my first trip all the way through. It was a glorious ride, and I'm looking forward to starting "Dance of the Giants".

Get this book... It's fun, good story telling, and another peek into the archeologist's history.

IndyNovelsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:11 PM   #25
bennihana123
IndyFan

This.... was disappointing to say the least. Of the four Indy novels I've read (Hollow Earth, Philosopher's Stone, Genesis Deluge, and this), the two by MacGregor haven't really felt like an Indy adventure. I'm still trying to collect and read them all, though, so maybe they'll get better. Looking forward to the other two by Max McCoy
bennihana123 is offline   Reply With Quote