LEGO Indiana Jones - Young Indy Scores?

InexorableTash

So I'm playing LEGO IJ with my wife and son last night and... wowzers, the background score on some of the levels is from Young Indy! I recognized at least one sequence from McNeely's German East Africa 1916 (played while running around the streets of Cairo)

(...some sneaky googling, and I've downloaded the audio sequences from the game as MP3...)

Holy crud... there's the music used in the Masks of Evil credits in there as well (is that McNeely or Sobel?) apparently used in the Last Crusade "Castle" scenes in the game.... and McNeely's Verdun 1916 is used in the Last Crusade "Airship" scenes in the game. There are some other tracks that are NOT from the Indy films.... possibly from unreleased Young Indy scores? (I know the 4 YIJC OSTs by heart as they were among my favorite CDs back in the days before MP3 players and I had a long bus trip to university every day, and these are NOT on them)

There are even some sequences that "trill" the distinctive Young Indy theme - sometimes missing a note. Wow. Just... wow.

The game credits don't list music composers other than "Original Indiana Jones music composed by John Williams". From the credits, it appears that most of the audio work was done by LucasArts at Skywalker Sound, as opposed to the bulk of the game design which was done by Travellers Tales.

Is anyone able to confirm? Or am I just hallucinating?

InexorableTash

We just made it through the Raiders level and got the full in-game credits - and yes, the Young Indy scores are explicitly mentioned... including episode names! It scrolled by too fast to do more than notice, but I'll try and transcribe the credits. (If someone doesn't have them up on YouTube already)

Adamwankenobi

That's awesome! (y) It seems the YIJC music has had good mileage: first the series, then the history documentaries, and now the LEGO game. :cool:

Last edited:

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
So I'm playing LEGO IJ with my wife and son last night and... wowzers, the background score on some of the levels is from Young Indy!

(...some sneaky googling, and I've downloaded the audio sequences from the game as MP3...)

Is anyone able to confirm? Or am I just hallucinating?
This is very, cool news.(y) Could some of the new music come from episodes not included on the soundtack CDs?
I downloaded the LEGO game demo via the new "Raiders" DVD link but haven't played it yet. Is the music orchestral?
I'll have to check it out.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Just to cool down the excitement a bit before it gets out of hand - some of the music that you don't recognize may not come from a Young Indy episode that you don't recognize but rather from Clint Bajakian's score from Emperor's Tomb.

InexorableTash

Attila the Professor said:
Just to cool down the excitement a bit before it gets out of hand - some of the music that you don't recognize may not come from a Young Indy episode that you don't recognize but rather from Clint Bajakian's score from Emperor's Tomb.

I have Bajakian's (awesome) score as well. It's very recognizably used for the Shanghai scene at the start of Temple of Doom in the game, but not anywhere else that I can identify.

The game tracks are orchestral, and intended to be about 2 minute loops with "action", "ambient" and "quiet" for each scene. (Although sometimes just one or two of those three.) From the download, there are 153 tracks that fall into this category, of which I couldn't place 33 as coming from any of the three John Williams "classic" Indy films scores or Bajakian's score. (The ambient tracks are too quiet.) Some are tricky... they have sequences I don't recognize followed by bits of John Williams score that I do. To create an "action" sequence it wouldn't surprise me if they mixed and matched.

Here are the credits (extracted from the Windows demo, which I just finished installing):

Music from The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones
Adventures in the Secret Service, Frederic Talgorn
Africa Movie of the Week, Joel McNeely
Attack of the Hawkmen, Joel McNeely
Daredevils of the Desert, Laurence Rosenthal
Masks of Evil, Frederic Talgorn
Oganga, The Giver and Taker of Life, Joel McNeely
The Perils of Cupid, Frederic Talgorn
Travels with Father, Frederic Talgorn
Trenches of Hell, Frederic Talgorn
Verdun, Joel McNeely

("Africa Movie of the Week", huh?)

fommes

Here's a quick rundown of the music in the game that's not from the original trilogy:

SFX

Castle Intro: 1st part ??? / 2nd part Transylvania
Castle Midtro1: first few seconds ??? / 2nd part Transylvania / last seconds ???
Castle Midtro2: first seconds ??? / mix with Transylvania / unidentified ???
LC Airship B Qui (light/partial sfx)
LC Escape C Qui
RA Cafe Raven B Qui (wind sfx)
RA Cafe Raven D Qui (light wind sfx)
RA Cairo Streets D Qui (people noise)
RA Lost Temple B Qui (jungle noise)

Little or no SFX

LC Airship A Act = LC Airship B Act = LC Escape C Act
LC Airship C Act = LC Airship D Act: 1st part: Verdun / final seconds unreleased ???
LC Airship D Qui
LC Castle A Qui
LC Castle C Act = LC Castle Co Act
LC Escape D Act
LC Trials E Act
RA Cafe Raven C Qui: unreleased, probably from Verdun (themes)
RA Cafe Raven D Act = TD Battle on the Bridge D Act: unreleased ???, probably from Verdun / last part released (Verdun)
RA Cairo Streets B Qui: (sfx noise from middle; clean beginning)
RA Cairo Streets C Qui
RA Cairo Streets D Act
RA Well of Souls A2 Qui
RA Well of Souls D Qui
TD Battle on the Bridge B Qui
TD Battle on the Bridge C Act = TD Escape the Mines A Act
TD Free the slaves B Qui

Released Young Indy music

SFX

LC Castle B Act: Transylvania
LC Castle C Qui: Transylvania
LC Escape D Qui: Transylvania

Little or no SFX

LC Airship C Act: Verdun
LC Airship D Act: Verdun
LC Castle Co Qui: Transylvania
LC Venice A Qui: Transylvania
RA Cairostreets A Act: German East Africa / Verdun / German East Africa
TD Escape the Mines A Qui: Verdun

From Emperor's Tomb:

TD Battle on the Bridge C Qui
TD Shanghai A Act
TD Shanghai D Qui

The question marks indicate unreleased music.
We've been discussing this over at JWFan. There are four cues that we can't place (disco and band versions of Raiders March, variation on Anything Goes, ...) but those are not from Young Indy.

(By the way, Stoo: did you get my email one or two weeks ago? I'll send you a sequel mail about this.)

Cheers!

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
Verdun, Joel McNeely

("Africa Movie of the Week", huh?)
Yes, that is weird. I'm thinking it could be "Phantom Train of Doom"?
Surprising that "Verdun" was singled out like that and not titled "Demons of Deception".
fommes said:
Here's a quick rundown of the music in the game that's not from the original trilogy:

(By the way, Stoo: did you get my email one or two weeks ago? I'll send you a sequel mail about this.)
Yes, and have been slow to answer. Sorry!:hat: Will do so.
Thanks to you (and InexorableTash) for your fantastic posts!(y)

P.S. What do "Act" & "Qui" mean? (Action & Quiet?)

InexorableTash

Stoo said:
P.S. What do "Act" & "Qui" mean? (Action & Quiet?)

Yep. The sound files in the ZIP floating around (which are apparently transcoded from the OGGs that ship with the game and are higher quality, per the thread over on JWFan.com) fall into several categories

Cutscenes (i.e. you're just watching):
*_INTRO* - "introduction" cutscene for a level
*_MIDTRO* - "middle" cutscene for a level
*_OUTRO* - "end" cutscene for a level
There may be several variations of these for each level. These will be sync'd to the action and include the "dialog" (just mumbling, there are no actual words) and sound effects.

Background (while you're playing):
*_AMB*: Ambient (quiet background noise - crowd noise, jungle noise, etc)
*_ACT*: Action music (exciting stuff is happening!)
*_QUI*: Quiet music (you're sneaking around)
Not all levels have all of these. The Action and Quiet loops are about 2 minutes long, the Ambient loops are about 30 seconds.

Then there is a pile of miscellaneous stuff - variations on the Raiders March for loading screens (a.k.a. How To Learn To Hate The Red Line On The Map),
tracks for secret levels (I assume.... don't want to give spoilers)

Huge thanks to fommes for trying to categorize this! I was going to start a wiki page somewhere but I think you've done most of the work already.

tupogirl

Crack that whip said:
Man, as if I needed another reason to get this game...

I do so hope Aspyr or Feral does a Mac version...

LOL! Exactly! I was excited for the game before I heard about this. We have a PS2 and thought we would have to upgrade to a Wii or PS3 just to get the game. We ended up getting an awesome Wii deal, but I may still just get the PS2 game...at some point.

Stoo

fommes said:
RA Cafe Raven C Qui: unreleased, probably from Verdun (themes).
O.K. I got the files (thanks!;) ) and had a go at this one...

The 1st 30 seconds are definitely Verdun. This is the music right after Indy's scene with the French artilleryman
and during the part where the officers are looking for a German-speaking volunteer.
The middle part could be from Indy's night mission but I'm not sure. Will have to check.
The notes in the last 15 secs. are from when Indy tosses his helmet into the bomb crater with the burning bike (repeated 2x in the game).

fommes said:
The question marks indicate unreleased music.
One down (?) with how many to go?
Do you need help with all of them or just the ones with question marks?

fommes

Stoo said:
The 1st 30 seconds are definitely Verdun. This is the music right after Indy's scene with the French artilleryman
and during the part where the officers are looking for a German-speaking volunteer.
The middle part could be from Indy's night mission but I'm not sure. Will have to check.
The notes in the last 15 secs. are from when Indy tosses his helmet into the bomb crater with the burning bike (repeated 2x in the game).
Thanks! I'll definitely check out Verdun (I suspect there's more music from this episode), and put up track times and so on, but I won't have time before next week.
One down (?) with how many to go?
Do you need help with all of them or just the ones with question marks?
Oh, sorry about that, I had question marks all over the place in my document but deleted those for the post. In fact, if you could have a listen to all of them, all of the unreleased tracks that is, that'd be great! You could probably pinpoint both the episode and the scene, as you proved above :) I can then do an editing guide or something like that.

Should we create a Music page to list all of the tracks and note where the sources are?
Thanks for the Wiki suggestion and for volunteering! I'm not sure if it's a good idea to do that though; giving too much visibility to this might stop more unreleased music in future games...

Cheers!

Crack that whip

I'd very much appreciate a rundown on just what music from the show is in this game, especially if any of it is music that hasn't been previously released on the soundtrack albums.

(This applies to any unreleased music from the feature films too, BTW!)

:)

Crack that whip

Crack that whip said:
I'd very much appreciate a rundown on just what music from the show is in this game, especially if any of it is music that hasn't been previously released on the soundtrack albums.

Oops - I meant "especially the music that...," not "especially if any of it is music that...," and I'm also curious about music from the features as well as the TV series. I want every last bit of Indy music there is, darn it!
:D

Stoo

fommes said:
Thanks! I'll definitely check out Verdun (I suspect there's more music from this episode), and put up track times and so on, but I won't have time before next week.
Actually, scratch the source for the last 10-15 seconds. They are the same notes but a different instrumentation.
It could be from another part in the episode (or it's unreleased Verdun music).
fommes said:
Oh, sorry about that, I had question marks all over the place in my document but deleted those for the post. In fact, if you could have a listen to all of them, all of the unreleased tracks that is, that'd be great! You could probably pinpoint both the episode and the scene, as you proved above :) I can then do an editing guide or something like that.
There are a lot of pieces I recognize but it will take some time to pinpoint them all. Like InexorableTash said,
there is mixing & matching all over the place. I took your list and made an alphabetical one which makes it
much easier when listening to the tracks. I'm hearing much "Daredevils" in the CairoStreet files.
Fun project!(y)

Crack that whip said:
I want every last bit of Indy music there is, darn it!:D
You know it! Listening to these tracks while I work and have an ever deeper admiration for the music than ever before.
The stuff is EXCELLENT and was such a boon for the show!

InexorableTash

Okay, rather than using a Wiki, I've created a publicly editable Google Doc Spreadsheet:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pZbgdkT4E4OdoDvKjadfBXQ&hl=en

This includes data about the music structure derived from the Music.CFG file included in the game (on Windows). I've parsed it and broken it into columns; the "section" column is actually based on developer comments included in that file. (Trivia: in the "Shanghai Showdown" section of "Temple Of Doom" a scene was planned between the 'streets' and 'airfield' scene but was cut! Potentially an early pre-Harbor scene in Crusade/Venice was cut as well.)

The "SFX?" and "Source" columns are what we're trying to fill in here. I've pre-marked all of the "Cutscene" items as SFX? = Yes.

Have at it!