TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > General Indiana Jones Discussion
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: If Mutt is to play a part in any subsequent movie(s), it would be best if he was...
Heterosexual 45 66.18%
Homosexual 16 23.53%
Bisexual 7 10.29%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #51
BadDates
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
Maybe this thread is a cliché, but not as much so as someone posting about it calling folk (who are obviously having a lighthearted joke) Aggressive and homophobic.

I beg to differ; saying this sort of stuff is definitely more of a cliché than standing up to it. Also, as a joke, it's pretty weak.

There's nothing lighthearted about hateful terms like "arse bandit". I guess you've never been on the receiving end of homophobic hostility yourself?

I wouldn't normally bother commenting on prejudice on an internet forum (hey, the web's awash with it) but I happen to member of this one and reading stuff like the opinion voiced earlier in this thread that "Gay culture has affected everything else in this country" makes me feel a bit ashamed to belong.

Just voicing my opinion.
BadDates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #52
Dark Horse
IndyFan

Yeah, I've never had anyone say anything bad about me because I live in a glass sealed bubble surrounded by security and only talk to an infinite army of arse kissers and fops.

Of course I've been called names and stuff. It's because I can take stuff on the chin that I think allows me to make light hearted comments about others. I certainly don't mean to offend. I know if I want to offend someone, then I can come up with an insult that leaves no room for speculation.
If they take offence at a joke, then too bad. Society today is being ruined by folk wanting to be special and have anything remotely derogatory removed from public behaviour. Words become tabboo overnight, only for the same crying, whining no-goods to begin a crusade about another possibly offensive term the day after.

There's not many things that piss me off more than minorities getting words and expressions banned, yet at the same time being perfectly ok and cool to use themselves (especially in the public eye). It's just an excuse to do exactly the opposite of what they were crusading for in the first place - "it's ok for us to say it but you can't" What kind of BS world do we live in where attitudes like this are accepable? For example, if this was a gay forum, then everyone would be having a laugh and a joke, and I'm sure many more overtly offensive terms would have been employed.

So instead of being overly PC and generally trolling an obvious joke thread, why don't you take your campaign of anti-bullying to where it might be appropriate (i.e. not here).
If you're ashamed to be here then leave.
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #53
BadDates
IndyFan

Quote:
Yeah, I've never had anyone say anything bad about me because I live in a glass sealed bubble surrounded by security and only talk to an infinite army of arse kissers and fops.

I was actually being a little ironic... .

Quote:
Of course I've been called names and stuff. It's because I can take stuff on the chin that I think allows me to make light hearted comments about others.

Allows you eh? I certainly don't think that being bullied at school would allow me to bully someone else, for example. But whatever.

Quote:
Society today is being ruined by folk wanting to be special and have anything remotely derogatory removed from public behaviour. Words become tabboo overnight, only for the same crying, whining no-goods to begin a crusade about another possibly offensive term the day after.

Just remember that the internet is a public place and I guarantee that out of all the thousands of people who casually browse The Raven, in addition to the active members, someone, somewhere will have been a little saddened at this thread. If you'd feel comfortable saying "arse bandit" in, say, a crowded train carriage, then fine, that's freedom of speech. However, if you care at all about other people's feelings, please remember that while internet forums may seem like a private chat among friends, they really aren't.

Quote:
There's not many things that piss me off more than minorities getting words and expressions banned, yet at the same time being perfectly ok and cool to use themselves (especially in the public eye). It's just an excuse to do exactly the opposite of what they were crusading for in the first place - "it's ok for us to say it but you can't" What kind of BS world do we live in where attitudes like this are accepable? For example, if this was a gay forum, then everyone would be having a laugh and a joke, and I'm sure many more overtly offensive terms would have been employed.

It's not the term, it's the sentiment.

Quote:
So instead of being overly PC and generally trolling an obvious joke thread, why don't you take your campaign of anti-bullying to where it might be appropriate (i.e. not here).
If you're ashamed to be here then leave.

You call it trolling if you like; I call it standing up for my principles. I actually wouldn't have bothered replying to your post if you hadn't called me a troll. Let's just drop it, OK? You carry on with this sidesplittingly funny thread and I'll get back to being a 'crying, whining no-good'.

Last edited by BadDates : 05-09-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #54
Indy's brother
IndyFan

BadDates, no one here is attacking you or homosexuality. You chose to take up a crusade against a thread where people are lampooning a fictional character. Even the post that you took the most offense to (about gay culture affecting everything else in this country) should be a badge of honor for you if it's true.

If you choose to read more into these comments than what's really there, neither I nor anyone else can stop you, I guess. Which is a shame. Considering how few openly gay members we have here, I am disappointed that your only contribution to a thread about the possibility of a gay character in the Indyverse was to argue about people talking about it*, rather than lending an insight or opinion on the subject. No matter how silly, pointless, and benign the subject is.

If you want people who have a negative opinion about homosexuality or gay culture to change their minds, then coming into this thread in "attack mode" is probably the worst approach you could have chosen.

*if the internet existed 30 years ago, do you think that this thread topic would have even been discussed as openly as it has here? Or that this many people would have bothered to read it and or chime in? As a world culture, great strides have been made towards acceptance of the gay community. Being able to talk openly about a gay subject is a part of that process. Again, no matter how silly, pointless, and benign the subject is.
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:13 PM   #55
BadDates
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy's brother
BadDates, no one here is attacking you or homosexuality. You are choosing to take up a crusade against a thread where people are lampooning a fictional character. Even the post that you took the most offense to (about gay culture affecting everything else in this country) should be a badge of honor for you if it's true.

If you choose to read more into these comments than what's really there, neither I nor anyone else can stop you, I guess. Which is a shame. Considering how few openly gay members we have here, I am disappointed that your only contribution to a thread about the possibility of a gay character in the Indyverse was to argue about people talking about it*, rather than lending an insight or opinion on the subject. No matter how silly, pointless, and benign the subject is.

If you want people who have a negative opinion about homosexuality or gay culture to change their minds, then coming into this thread in "attack mode" is probably the worst approach you could have chosen.

*if the internet existed 30 years ago, do you think that this thread topic would have even been discussed as openly as it has here? Or that this many people would have bothered to read it and or chime in? As a world culture, great strides have been made towards acceptance of the gay community. Being able to talk openly about a gay subject is a part of that process. Again, no matter how silly, pointless, and benign the subject is.

It's interesting that you seem to assume from my posts that I'm gay. I'm not, as it happens, I just dislike prejudice. In any case, your post was very reasonable so thanks indeed for your contribution. Of course, I'm well aware that no minds are going to be changed by way of an internet forum thread, but I felt that just for once I'd chip in. I've been reading The Raven for quite a few years and eventually felt bold enough to join a couple of years back and make a few humble contributions. I feel involved in this site and proud to be a member of such a great forum, where so many interesting discussions take place. However, now and again over the years I've read things that I thought were offensive. Just a tiny minority of posts, but I found that they left something of a sour taste. This time I just felt moved to say something to defend what I consider to be the decent thing, before clicking elsewhere and reading another thread. I didn't mean to pick a fight with anyone; I actually expected to be ignored. I just want to drop this now as it's making me feel a bit stressed out.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #56
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Consider it dropped, I must've blanked out while reading your previous comment to Dark Horse about leaving it alone. Had I paid closer attention, I probably wouldn't have typed my last post. So, sorry.

I did want to clear up any misunderstanding about one thing. I didn't assume you were gay because your were standing up for gay rights, I must have misread your use of the word "belong" in this portion of your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDates
I wouldn't normally bother commenting on prejudice on an internet forum (hey, the web's awash with it) but I happen to member of this one and reading stuff like the opinion voiced earlier in this thread that "Gay culture has affected everything else in this country" makes me feel a bit ashamed to belong.

Now I know you meant "belonging to this forum".
Old 05-09-2009, 04:29 PM   #57
kongisking
IndyFan

This thread is obviously another excuse to rail on Shia and his character. You can't fool us, Man. And even if you did make this thread out of-ahem-innocence, you knew full well that the subject would be a rallying cry for Mutt haters.

Stop seeding your KOTCS hate on this website; it becomes hurtful, annoying, frustrating and unbelievably amusing all at once for those who actually (get ready for it...) loved KOTCS (MASS STAMPEDE FOR THE EXITS!!!!!).

Yes, I am in a bad mood. I guess I just need a nap...
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #58
The Man
IndyFan

Given recent revelations, perhaps Mutt should simply shag Marion...
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #59
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
Given recent revelations, perhaps Mutt should simply shag Marion...

Wow. The kid has some serious issues. That link and the following the link from there to the other story about him being a peeping tom really takes the shine off of his boyish charm. He's a lecherous perv!!
Old 05-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #60
The Man
IndyFan

"I'm keeping you two apart. That sh!t's illegal!"
Old 05-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #61
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Quote:

Indy: "You two need to stay this far away from each other at all times!"
Mutt: "This far away, got it"
Old 05-09-2009, 05:07 PM   #62
The Man
IndyFan

"There's nothing wrong with her breastfeeding me!"
Old 05-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #63
BadDates
IndyFan

Quote:
Consider it dropped, I must've blanked out while reading your previous comment to Dark Horse about leaving it alone. Had I paid closer attention, I probably wouldn't have typed my last post. So, sorry.

No problem mate!

Quote:
I did want to clear up any misunderstanding about one thing. I didn't assume you were gay because your were standing up for gay rights, I must have misread your use of the word "belong" in this portion of your post.

Now I know you meant "belonging to this forum".

I've just noticed that I typed "happen to member of" instead of "happen to be a member of" - whoops! Isn't it amazing how no matter how many times one re-reads a post before submitting it, these little mistakes slip through? I guess that the brain expects to see the missing words and fills them in every time one checks the text. It's only when coming back to it later that the mistake leaps out.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:47 PM   #64
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
Hey now, everybody knows that Short Round was the gay sidekick.

You say "the" gay sidekick as if there was only one. I mean, isn't there also a character in these films that has a penchant for singing the songs of broadway at the drop of a hat.....?

Old 09-20-2011, 12:34 AM   #65
Palaceslave_82
IndyFan

Quote:

"There's nothing wrong with her breastfeeding me!"

LOL This is pretty funny.

Quote:
You say "the" gay sidekick as if there was only one. I mean, isn't there also a character in these films that has a penchant for singing the songs of broadway at the drop of a hat.....?

Willie's apt to sing 'Anything Goes" cabaret-style at the drop of a hat, (according to Kahn's "Temple" novelization,anyway), but I don't get the muff-dive vibe from her.

And Shorty's occasional meanderings off the path of righteousness toward man-boy love do not qualify him for the role of 'gay sidekick'. He's young,figuring out who he is...if Willie ended up adopting him as I believe she might have, he's probably doing a mother-son act alongside her under the name "Trinidad: The Mandarin Boy-Lady" in a matching sequinned gown.

This thread is hysterical,and further cements my enjoyment of fan boy rants on-line. Amazing,the passion some have for the genre....and the personal offense taken over the discussion of a lackluster character like Mutt Williams,and his fictional sexuality. I recall a guy once trying to fight me tooth and nail,(well, as much as you can on a web forum) on the subject of the hottest Indy Girl. Tough to take a man seriously when he's most likely broadcasting his net-attacks from mom's basement.

Keep it comin' folks. *pops popcorn*

Last edited by Palaceslave_82 : 09-20-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Palaceslave_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:23 AM   #66
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:

Indy went out his way to put distance between himself and Marcus. The sort of distance that requires climbing out of your office window and running off to a foreign country to escape unwanted advances.

On the occasion when Indy had to send Marcus abroad he left him with Sallah as a bodyguard.

With Dean Stanforth now taken over from Marcus, Indy felt it was safe to marry and settle down (he no longer had to run away at 'the drop of a hat').

Even in death, however, Marcus was still trying to give h...

Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:01 AM   #67
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
You say "the" gay sidekick as if there was only one.
Here we go! Alright, what have you got?

Quote:
I mean, isn't there also a character in these films that has a penchant for singing the songs of broadway at the drop of a hat.....?

Gay would be the last thing I'd call a guy who turned Fayah's uterus into a Pez dispenser.

Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #68
Sharkey

Quote:

HMS Pinafore aint Broadway
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #69
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey
You're in a rare mood...and by that I mean RAW.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:43 AM   #70
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Quote:

Oh my bad, Opera. I did the tiniest amount of research and at 0:38 in this video I could tell it's not a broadway thang. Yeah, that's some studly stuff there. HUGE difference. It's not broadway gay, it's opera gay.

And Fayah's kids? What's their mailman look like?

Old 09-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #71
Sharkey

Mutts kinda cute for a white boy. I wouldnt kick him out of my bed.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #72
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
And Fayah's kids? What's their mailman look like?
Old 09-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #73
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
This thread is obviously another excuse to rail on Shia and his character. You can't fool us, Man. And even if you did make this thread out of-ahem-innocence, you knew full well that the subject would be a rallying cry for Mutt haters.

Stop seeding your KOTCS hate on this website; it becomes hurtful, annoying, frustrating and unbelievably amusing all at once for those who actually (get ready for it...) loved KOTCS (MASS STAMPEDE FOR THE EXITS!!!!!).

Yes, I am in a bad mood. I guess I just need a nap...

Heh...this post makes me laugh now. Jeeze, I need to lighten up more.

That, and I've actually befriended The Man as of late, so this is my half-assed way of saying "sorry."
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #74
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
Heh...this post makes me laugh now. Jeeze, I need to lighten up more.
Eh, you were in a mood, so what? These things need to happen every ten years or so...
Old 09-23-2011, 05:17 AM   #75
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Mutts kinda cute for a white boy. I wouldnt kick him out of my bed.

You know, Sharkey, I'm pretty adept at dodging cell phones. On second thoughts, though, just how high up is that balcony of yours?

Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote