What Movies Do You Think Indy Would See in the 50s?

Athenee

I copied this from a reply I posted on a different topic:

What kinds of movies do you think Indy would see in the 50s? We can guess that Marion would probably drag him to some musicals and romantic comedies, but what would Indy pick?

TheMutt92

Indy going to the picture shows? Probably would to something historic. I bet he'd probably laugh off "Them" and "The Naked Jungle" ('Those ants don't even look like the real thing!' :p )

Crack that whip

I don't know how often he goes to the movies, but I'd bet his viewing selection would be more varied than that of the average American of the time, especially given that he travels extensively and speaks dozens of languages. He has substantial greater access to cinema from all over the world (in terms both of viewing opportunities and of ability to understand works in numerous languages).

Tastes? I can see Indy being interested in documentaries...

Athenee

Crack that whip said:
I don't know how often he goes to the movies, but I'd bet his viewing selection would be more varied than that of the average American of the time, especially given that he travels extensively and speaks dozens of languages. He has substantial greater access to cinema from all over the world (in terms both of viewing opportunities and of ability to understand works in numerous languages).
Tastes? I can see Indy being interested in documentaries...

Well, he'd gripe over all the inaccuracies in movies like "The Ten Commandments" and "Ben-Hur"! He probably wouldn't bother with B-movies, except maybe to find the original Japanese version of "Gojira" instead of the butchered "Godzilla" version w/ Raymond Burr.

I think Indy would be a Bogie and John Wayne fan...

Who would be his favorite actress?

muttjones

Why of course it just came to me.

Indy would go to the premiere release of the 1957 adventure/sci-fi cult classic Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Athenee

Lol!!

kongisking said:
He'd see Dr. NO!!!!!!! (was that in the 50's?) and also Forbidden Planet!

"Forbidden Planet" was released in 1956, but "Dr. No" wouldn't be released until 1961 ("...maybe that Connery fella is some distant relative of Dad's...)

Why do I get the feeling he wouldn't mind going to those musicals and romantic comedies with Marion? If only to catch up on all that necking they missed...

|ZiR|

Athenee said:
Why do I get the feeling he wouldn't mind going to those musicals and romantic comedies with Marion? If only to catch up on all that necking they missed...

That's what I came here to post. The thought of Indy going to see Pillow Talk is just too cute. :p

Athenee

Audriana Jones said:
Why, of course, it just came to me.

Indy would go to the premiere release of the 1957 adventure/sci-fi cult classic Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Location: Australia (The only place Indy hasn't visited yet!)

I love your tag! So, what's out there in the outback of Oz that's mystical and of historic importance (that we won't see in Baz Luhrman's "Australia") for Indy to find? (...I'm thinking Indy 5 here...)

Athenee

|ZiR| said:
That's what I came here to post. The thought of Indy going to see Pillow Talk is just too cute. :p

They'd be rolling in the aisles! The lifestyles would be just so alien that they couldn't take it seriously (but I think "Pillow Talk" may have been released in the early 60s--I could be wrong)

|ZiR|

Athenee said:
They'd be rolling in the aisles! The lifestyles would be just so alien that they couldn't take it seriously (but I think "Pillow Talk" may have been released in the early 60s--I could be wrong)

Pillow Talk came out in 1959, actually. Speaking of Doris Day, though, I could definitely picture Indy going to see The Man Who Knew Too Much, and other Hitchcock offerings.

Athenee

|ZiR| said:
Pillow Talk came out in 1959, actually. Speaking of Doris Day, though, I could definitely picture Indy going to see The Man Who Knew Too Much, and other Hitchcock offerings.

I bet Indy would love Hitchcock's movies--like "The Birds", just to get Marion to shriek and leap into his lap... oh, in the novelization, they made a big thing about her being afraid of heights-- "Vertigo"? (Hitchcock, not U-2!) :D

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
"Secret of the Incas" for sure... Mutt would probably go see it and go "huh? wtf going on here?"

The Whip

Somehow I think that Indiana Jones would not go to movies.

Number one... he would think they were silly compared to his "real life" adventures.

Number two... if someone invited him to go to the movies he would probably tell them they need to read more.

Number three... he is probably something of a workaholic, and wouldn't have time for it.

I just don't think it's in character for him to be a movie buff.