TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Literature
User Name
Password

Old 08-24-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
Icybro
IndyFan

Cité de la Foudre

Hi folks, I'm new here but I thought you might appreciate these scans . . . and I could use some help translating.

Icybro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:54 AM   #2
indyclone25
IndyFan

looks like a very interesting story ---- can't wait to see it in english
indyclone25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:49 AM   #3
DIrishB
IndyFan

Heh...and just as me and Stoo were about to start posting the translated version. He'll be glad to see this (he's been looking for the Shell version cover).

I do want to mention, though, that much like the first French Bagheera Indy comics, the Shell reprint version also seems to be missing the first four pages of story. I have the Bagheera version, and it opens with Indy asleep on a train, being awoken to cries of help from the next door cabin. He jumps up to help and gets into an altercation with some guys attempting to kidnap (?) a woman. I'll post them here so you can see. I just emailed Stoo the first ten pages so he could begin translating, so we'll get the translated versions up soon.

Also, Icybro, you should change those images into links so as not to take up a bunch of disk space. The mods might have a problem with this thread because of all the images. Changing them to links to the images instead of the images themselves seems to prevent the threads from being deleted by the mods.
DIrishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:53 PM   #4
Icybro
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIrishB
Also, Icybro, you should change those images into links so as not to take up a bunch of disk space. The mods might have a problem with this thread because of all the images. Changing them to links to the images instead of the images themselves seems to prevent the threads from being deleted by the mods.

Thanks for the tip. I wanted to make a big splash with my first post, and now it sounds like it may be deleted. Can I edit it directly? Or should I start a new post with links instead of images?

Also: sorry, I didn't mean to steal you and Stoo's thunder. I can't wait to read your translation!
Icybro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:21 PM   #5
DIrishB
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icybro
Thanks for the tip. I wanted to make a big splash with my first post, and now it sounds like it may be deleted. Can I edit it directly? Or should I start a new post with links instead of images?

The Edit feature disappears on your posts after 10 minutes or so. I say leave it as is for now. We posted scans in the Secret de la Pyramid thread and its still around. If they delete it, just make a new one with the links instead. But for now I think its ok.

Quote:
Also: sorry, I didn't mean to steal you and Stoo's thunder. I can't wait to read your translation!

Its no problem. In fact, I know Stoo's been looking for a nice scan of the Shell cover version of this one, so I know he'll be pleased. And you saved me the trouble of scanning the pages!
Old 08-26-2008, 02:34 AM   #6
indyclone25
IndyFan

and it looks like they may have edited something in the shell comics --- it looks as if the dancing girl that that indy and marya save, clothes escpecially her top has been torn and the took off some of the drawing of her chest --- i'm just saying ...... cause in the france aren't they a little bit much free about nakedness?
Old 08-26-2008, 08:41 AM   #7
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icybro
Thanks for the tip. I wanted to make a big splash with my first post, and now it sounds like it may be deleted.
...and what a spalsh it is. Much better than, "Hi, I'm new here!" (I highly doubt your thread will be deleted.)
Welcome to The Raven, Icybro! Thanks for also scanning the first few, non-story pages.
Quote:
And you saved me the trouble of scanning the pages!
You're not off the hook yet! We still need the Bagheera cover and the missing 4 pages.
(I never received an e-mail with the first 10. Strange.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyclone25
and it looks like they may have edited something in the shell comics --- it looks as if the dancing girl that that indy and marya save, clothes escpecially her top has been torn and the took off some of the drawing of her chest --- i'm just saying ...... cause in the france aren't they a little bit much free about nakedness?
Not just France but Europe in general. Very interesting about the edited drawings. Good eye, indyclone!
Would be cool to use the uncensored panels for the final, translated version.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:46 AM   #8
DIrishB
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
You're not off the hook yet! We still need the Bagheera cover and the missing 4 pages.
(I never received an e-mail with the first 10. Strange.)

Huh...I'll try it again when I get home from work.
[/quote]
Old 08-26-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
Johnny Jones
IndyFan

So what is this anyway, a ToD prequel? India, Kali, guys who sure look a lot like Thuggees... do the French guys get to invent their own "canon" since the English Expanded Universe is less accessible to them?
BTW thanks IcyBro and welcome to the Raven!

Edit: The pics aren't showing up on my computer anymore. Anyone else having that problem?
Johnny Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:32 PM   #10
indyclone25
IndyFan

nope i still see them maybe it just loading time --- give a bit of time to see if the come up
Old 08-26-2008, 02:41 PM   #11
DIrishB
IndyFan

Here's the first three pages from the Bagheera version (which came out a year or so before the Shell reprint). For some reason the Shell reprints left out the first several pages of story in each (4 in Secret de la Pyramid and 3 in this one). They also replaced the short foreward in Indy's handwriting with the longer type-written introductions featuring pictures from the films.

And most interesting of all: the original Bagheera version has the story taking place in 1930. The Shell reprint has it taking place in 1933.

I wonder if that was a mistake or intentional, and if so why they changed the years between the two versions.

I really need to track down a Bagheera version of Indiana Jones et la Secret de la Pyramid and Indiana Jones et le Grimoire Maudit for my collection.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:18 PM   #12
indyclone25
IndyFan

awesome as always
Old 08-27-2008, 11:45 AM   #13
Johnny Jones
IndyFan

Thanks Irish! (Can I call you Irish?) Those pages seem to enhance the storyline... more Indy butt-kicking if nothing else!Ironic or just plain dumb that they used one of the deleted pics for the reprint cover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyclone25
You mean in the last few pages? Yeah... that looks unnatural and wrong. If they wanted to edit that part, they should have just drawn the rest of her clothes back in.
Johnny Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:30 PM   #14
DIrishB
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Jones
Thanks Irish! (Can I call you Irish?)

Absolutely.

Quote:
Those pages seem to enhance the storyline... more Indy butt-kicking if nothing else!Ironic or just plain dumb that they used one of the deleted pics for the reprint cover.

Yeah, they did the same thing in the Secret de la Pyramid Shell reprint too. They removed/deleted the first four pages of story for no apparent reason. This one they only removed the first three pages. And strangely enough, like this one, they use one of the panels from the second or third page as the cover for it (though its no included in the story itself)...?
Old 08-27-2008, 05:58 PM   #15
WillKill4Food
IndyFan

Too bad I can't read French.
WillKill4Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:08 PM   #16
DIrishB
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
Too bad I can't read French.

Stoo's working on translating them for us all. Give him a little time and we'll have the translated version here in this thread.

On a related note, check out the Indiana Jones et le Secret de la Pyramid thread for the translated version of the first volume. The full collection is on Page 6, Post #123 by Rob Dangerous. Enjoy!
Old 08-27-2008, 10:09 PM   #17
Junior Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Stoo's working on translating them for us all. Give him a little time and we'll have the translated version here in this thread.

Now we just need to find someone who reads German and is willing to translate the Hohlbein books.
Junior Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:51 PM   #18
DIrishB
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Jones
Now we just need to find someone who reads German and is willing to translate the Hohlbein books.

Heh...I'm not holding my breath for that one. I own all 8 of the Hohlbein books, but of course haven't read them because I can't read or understand German. One day I'll get around to learning the language.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:21 PM   #19
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
And most interesting of all: the original Bagheera version has the story taking place in 1930. The Shell reprint has it taking place in 1933.

I wonder if that was a mistake or intentional, and if so why they changed the years between the two versions.
"Interesting" and frustrating all at the same time.
Quote:
Actually, I haven't even started on the translations as I'm still on vactaion (in sunny California for a wedding).
Will start tackling the project later this week when I'm back. Thanks for posting the missing pages & cover! Those will be first.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:39 PM   #20
DIrishB
IndyFan

Quote:
"Interesting" and frustrating all at the same time.

Yeah, I don't understand why they changed it. In fact, I need to change that on the Indy wikia...its listed as occurring in 1933 (which the Shell version reflects). But since the Bagheera is the original version, I think the date should reflect 1930.

Quote:
Actually, I haven't even started on the translations as I'm still on vactaion (in sunny California for a wedding).
Will start tackling the project later this week when I'm back. Thanks for posting the missing pages & cover! Those will be first.

Enjoy your vacation! Look forward to the translations! And if you need help "American-izing" any of the sayings, I'm glad to help!
Old 09-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #21
Stoo
IndyFan

Well, I finished the covers. Here are some comparison images. I sent off the first batch of translations to DIrish for some Americanization.
(Plus, DB, any chance we can get a scan of the Bagheera version's last page? The one with the uncensored "wardrobe malfunction"?)
How do we proceed? Should the new, fixed pages be posted here are only just links to the files? Is bandwidth an issue?

Old 09-12-2008, 04:18 AM   #22
indyclone25
IndyFan

i think you should post them on here --- and then when done put it on a link
Old 09-12-2008, 08:05 AM   #23
DIrishB
IndyFan

Quote:
Well, I finished the covers. Here are some comparison images. I sent off the first batch of translations to DIrish for some Americanization.

Whoops! I had the first few pages done, but forgot to do the rest! I'll finish them up this weekend.

Quote:
(Plus, DB, any chance we can get a scan of the Bagheera version's last page? The one with the uncensored "wardrobe malfunction"?)

Absolutely.

Quote:
How do we proceed? Should the new, fixed pages be posted here are only just links to the files? Is bandwidth an issue?

I'm not sure if bandwidth is an issue or not, but I think the safer route is to just post links instead of posting the images. The links work the same anyway. Maybe even collect them all into a PDF file or something like was done with the Secret de la Pyramid translated scans.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:07 PM   #24
Rob Dangerous
IndyFan

If hosting/bandwidth ever becomes an issue, just send all that stuff to me.
Rob Dangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:59 AM   #25
Stoo
IndyFan

I think I've found the reason why the Shell/Canadian version changed the date from 1930 to 1933. Gandhi says:

Do not forget the oath of independence that we have made and which declares: “It was a crime against man and
against God to subject ourselves to British domination.” Since the 26th of January 1930, day where this resolution
was adopted by the congress, we consider this day as the Day of Independence and we celebrate it each year by
deploying a new flag of three colours…but we should mark/note our disobedience once again. We are going to defy
the laws that we consider injust and for this…

The passage doesn't make much sense if the year is 1930 (which is odd that this date was used in the first place).

Quote:
Maybe even collect them all into a PDF file or something like was done with the Secret de la Pyramid translated scans.
Putting them all into a PDF document is a great idea. With all the supplemental pages included, it will be a nice, little package.
(Expect an e-mail soon with the translations of pages 7-17 for you to clean up!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dangerous
If hosting/bandwidth ever becomes an issue, just send all that stuff to me.
Good of you to offer and I may just take you up on that.