Beneath The Planet Of The Apes (1969) 9 33.33%
Escape From The Planet Of The Apes (1971) 10 37.04%
Conquest Of The Planet Of The Apes (1972) 6 22.22%
Battle For The Planet Of The Apes (1973) 2 7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-2008, 11:04 AM   #26
phantom train
IndyFan

Just a comment on the Tim Burton 2001 "re-imagining" POTA film. I may be one of the few who thought this film was excellent (I saw it three times in the theatre). And, I liked this film better than the last three original POTA movies.

The ending, where the astronaut landed on a "parallel Earth"? and found that the Apes had evolved in his absense (at least that's one explanation) was actually one of the best endings of a sci-film I've seen.
Even if some didn't like this ending, it's worth noting that this was
very similiar to the ending of the original "Planet of the Apes" novel by Pierre Boulle (originally published in 1963), and was an obvious homage to the book.
phantom train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #27
The Man
IndyFan

Get your hands on this, you damn dirty apes...!

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/6...t/Product.html
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #28
Stoo
IndyFan

Conquest Remake

Oh, YES! Please, G_d, please let this happen...

http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=26801
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #29
Goonie
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo

That would be cool! But I still wouldn't mind seeing a sequel to Tim Burton's movie.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #30
Montana Smith
IndyFan

I loved the original Apes movies and TV series (in varying degrees), and even prefer the original make-up to Tim Burton's more realistic approach.

The original Mego 8" figures (which I received second hand) were amongst my favourite toys as a kid. Although the stories weren't all that great (especially with the TV series) I find myself on a huge nostalgia trip when I see the originals, which Burton failed to capture for me.

The one good thing in Burton's version was the running on all fours.

I voted for Beneath, but Escape would be a close second, followed by Conquest. Battle was my least favourite.

RA commented on the paradoxes and inconsistencies, and I spent many an hour in my youth trying to figure out how it would all fit into a timeline. The stories are really the chicken and egg syndrome.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:15 PM   #31
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
I loved the original Apes movies and TV series (in varying degrees), and even prefer the original make-up to Tim Burton's more realistic approach.
Tim Burton should be ashamed of himself.

Quote:
The one good thing in Burton's version was the running on all fours.
I appreciate the concept, the execution looked as bad as the Morlocks in the most recent "The Time Machine" whose upgrades were for the most part well done. But the acting, "sigh".

Quote:
I voted for Beneath, but Escape would be a close second, followed by Conquest. Battle was my least favourite.
I agree. You cannot duplicate the impact, (and Serling feeling) of the original. Brent was fine and it was great to see Heston again. Amazing that even though they made money they continued to cut budgets for each subsequent film.

Quote:
RA commented on the paradoxes and inconsistencies, and I spent many an hour in my youth trying to figure out how it would all fit into a timeline. The stories are really the chicken and egg syndrome.
Seeing it as a child introduced these concepts as you say and we debated it out with our friends to make sense of it!

I recently showed my kids 8 and 11 the Tim Burton one and they panned it praising the original! God I love em!
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #32
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
I recently showed my kids 8 and 11 the Tim Burton one and they panned it praising the original! God I love em!

That's really neat that they should prefer the original. Tim Burton's version seemed to be a cold remake, without any passion. Maybe that's something they picked up on when comparing with the originals. The originals were a passionate plea for racial tolerance at a time when the issue was still very raw.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #33
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
That's really neat that they should prefer the original. Tim Burton's version seemed to be a cold remake, without any passion. Maybe that's something they picked up on when comparing with the originals. The originals were a passionate plea for racial tolerance at a time when the issue was still very raw.

The original was stark, oddly familiar yet alien. I don't think they picked up on racial overtones. I think, for them, they are aware of animal testing far more then racism. But it's just another metaphor that they can consider down the road when they encounter it. That's one of the superior aspects of the original. The themes were more powerful than the effects. Taylor was philosophical...
Old 02-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #34
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
The original was stark, oddly familiar yet alien. I don't think they picked up on racial overtones. I think, for them, they are aware of animal testing far more then racism. But it's just another metaphor that they can consider down the road when they encounter it. That's one of the superior aspects of the original. The themes were more powerful than the effects. Taylor was philosophical...

Well said, Rocket. The original Apes films were a plea against all forms of cruelty and intolerance. I remember as a kid being quite upset by some of the stories (there was one such in the original annual). Whilst Burton is a master film-maker in his own right, I find his films a bit too theatrical for their own good (too many claustrophobic covered sets in many of his films), and His version of POTA seemed to lack the power of the originals, regardless of their superior effects.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:34 PM   #35
Stoo
IndyFan

Thumbs up Hooray! It's OFFICIAL

Quote:

Not too crazy about the CG apes but I'm sure the gang at WETA will do a decent job. It would also be nice if the title was "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" but I'm not going to complain because in my book, more "Apes" is a good thing.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...13&cs=1&ref=mv

From Variety: Posted: Thurs., May 6, 2010, 2:45pm PT

Fox sets release for 'Apes' prequel
Rupert Wyatt to direct 'Rise of the Apes'
By Pamela McClintlock

Twentieth Century Fox will release prequel "Rise of the Apes" on June 24, 2011, with Rupert Wyatt confirmed to direct.

Title is tentative.

Studio is partnering with Peter Jackson's visual effects company WETA Digital on the film, which relaunches the "Planet of the Apes" franchise.

Chernin Entertainment is producing.

Wyatt will direct from a script by Amanda Silver and Rick Jaffa, who also are producing with Chernin Entertainment's Peter Chernin and Dylan Clark.

"Rise of the Apes" is an origins story set in present-day San Francisco. The film is a reality-based cautionary tale, where man's own experiments with genetic engineering lead to the development of intelligence in apes and the onset of a war for supremacy.

WETA will render, for the first time ever in the film series, photo-realistic apes rather than costumed actors.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #36
ResidentAlien

BLASPHEMY!

Planet of the Apes was largely responsible for the make/ prosthetic effects revolution... and they're going to dishonor that fine heritage with CGI apes?

ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #37
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Posters from the 2012 section of www.mondoarchive.com:

Old 02-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #38
Stoo
IndyFan

I like them all, except the ones for "Escape" and "Battle". The one for "Planet" is superb!

The "Go Ape!" poster is, essentially, a straight copy of one from 1975, when all 5 movies were re-released, but it's still a great image. (In my Apes collection, I have a couple of vintage, promo TV commercials from that time that use the slogan, too.)
Old 02-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #39
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
I like them all, except the ones for "Escape" and "Battle". The one for "Planet" is superb!

My thoughts exactly.

Escape is wishy washy, and Battle looks like it's taken from another composition, but I can't place it.

Quote:
The "Go Ape!" poster is, essentially, a straight copy of one from 1975, when all 5 movies were re-released, but it's still a great image. (In my Apes collection, I have a couple of vintage, promo TV commercials from that time that use the slogan, too.)

Here's a soldier pointing his Ford finger:

I had such fond memories of this annual...

...that when I couldn't find it a year or so ago, I had to track another one down.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #40
Rocket Surgeon

I loved Beneath because the tone was similar, until we got into the forbidden zone.

Great to see Taylor again and the end was great...an end.

Now Escape was great because they flat out addressed all the ideas hinted to in the first two.

Though I always wished they had a better explanation for the repair of the ship than Milo was a genius!
Old 02-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #41
Montana Smith
IndyFan

All the Apes films are cool, even when they're crap like Battle. Purely because they have the classic Ape make-up. For all his technical jiggery pokery, Tim Burton's effort won't ever match even the lowly heights of the TV series.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #42
phantom train
IndyFan

Thanks for the pics. of the posters, Montana - very nice!
phantom train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:45 AM   #43
Goonie
IndyFan

Should Rise be added to the poll?
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #44
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie

No.

That would open the door to Marky Marks gigantic turd.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #45
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
No.

Quote:
That would open the door to Marky Marks gigantic turd.

Vacancy filled. No polishers required.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #46
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
All the Apes films are cool, even when they're crap like Battle. Purely because they have the classic Ape make-up. For all his technical jiggery pokery, Tim Burton's effort won't ever match even the lowly heights of the TV series.
The TV series is a pet love of mine so, for anyone (like Smiffy) who criticizes it, here are some words from George Taylor, himself:

"Damn you! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie
No, Goonie. If any film titles are to be added, they should be:

- Back to the Planet of the Apes
- Forgotten City of the Planet of the Apes
- Treachery and Greed on the Planet of the Apes
- Life, Liberty and Pursuit on the Planet of the Apes
- Farewell to the Planet of the Apes

1981 was a good year.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #47
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
The TV series is a pet love of mine so, for anyone (like Smiffy) who criticizes it, here are some words from George Taylor, himself:

"Damn you! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!"

What?

Criticize the TV series?

I love the series because it was another chance to see more classic apes. It's only a lowly height compared to the movies (and in terms of its stories!)

Even Battle was good crap, because it had classic apes.

Classic apes rule!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #48
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
What?

Criticize the TV series?

I love the series because it was another chance to see more classic apes. It's only a lowly height compared to the movies (and in terms of its stories!)
Read you wrong then, Smiff! Sorry.
Quote:
Even Battle was good crap, because it had classic apes.

Classic apes rule!
Yes, "Battle" is the worst so I would like to know which 2 people voted for it as the best sequel! That said, has anyone else (besides me) seen the extended version that was released on the old, Japanese laserdique? It has a great connection to "Beneath". In the grand scheme of the Ape timeline, it makes the "Battle" film so much better!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:58 AM   #49
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Read you wrong then, Smiff! Sorry.

Quote:
Yes, "Battle" is the worst so I would like to know which 2 people voted for it as the best sequel!

Damn dirty ape-hating humans!

Quote:
That said, has anyone else (besides me) seen the extended version that was released on the old, Japanese laserdique? It has a great connection to "Beneath". In the grand scheme of the Ape timeline, it makes the "Battle" film so much better!

I read there were an extra ten minutes in that release - sounds like a lot of ape goodness to remove.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:54 PM   #50
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

I saw all four sequels for the first time in preperation for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes(I'd only seen a couple of clips from Escape).

Escape of the Planet of the Apes was easily the best. It was the best made of them and also the most fun to watch. I really enjoyed how it combined multiple genres(on one hand it's a time travel movie, on the other hands it amazingly a light-hearted comedy, yet still delivered classic dark moments we expect from the series).

Beneath started off well, it was fun to see a direct sequel to such a classic, and it was great they got Charlton Heston back(and I couldn't take my eyes off of Nova ) but it does sort of fall flat once they enter "Beneath" the planet. The ending is also a bit week,
I don't mind them blowing up the planet too much, but the execution felt rather forced

Conquest was strangely my least favorite one, but I will give it credit for one thing: UC Irvine, the school my sister graduated from, is the start of the Ape Revolution!
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote