Indiana Jones and the Stone of Creation

Perhilion

I wasn't really sure where to post this, since it's half fan fiction and half Indy V ideas. Anyways, I recently stumbled upon this interesting legend from Judaism :
Foundation Stone
by Rabbi Geoffrey W. Dennis
Hebrew "Even ha-Shetiyah." The Even is the capstone of creation. Under this stone God trapped the floodwaters of the abyss (Isa. 2:2), the source of all the world's water. All the world's winds also originate from there (Otzer Maasot, p. 121). This stone sits under the Temple Mount. The stone is actually a piece of God's Throne of Glory (Zohar) and inscribed with the Tetragrammaton. A chunk of the Stone was used by God to make the two tablets of the Ten Commandments. God moved this stone only once, to unleash the Flood of Noah's day. When King David tried to move the stone into the Holy of Holies, chaos was unleashed and it was only by using the theurgic power of reciting the Psalms that he was able to drive the waters of the abyss back to their proper place (Suk. 49a; 53a). Other traditions claim the rock levitates in a cave beneath the Temple Mount and when it finally falls the coming of the Messiah is imminent.
And I thought it'd make a really cool Indy story. Indy racing against an apocalyptic cult to open (or stop the opening) of a vault hidden beneath the Temple Mount that contains the stone, which can both destroy the world and create life. Also, maybe it could grant some god-like powers, since it's from His throne. What do you guys think? (No stealing, I just might write on this one ;) )

Indy's brother

Hmmm. Judeo/Christian relic?-Check. An object which may hold the power to destroy the world?-Check. Unused in previous books, video games, comics, etc?-Check. A lot of room to move with plot?-Check. Tie-in with the ark...BIG check! Small tie-in with LC (Tetragrammatron, ie, jthe word "Jehova/Yahweh", depending on the language)?--Check.

Honestly, this seems like a very strong candidate for an Indy 5. I especially like the imagery of an Indy artifact floating in mid-air upon it's discovery!! The dark foreboding power of such an artifact to be wielded by the forces of evil, or as one of God's earthly smiting devices (just like the ark) would suit the series well. It could also be edgy enough to get Lucas and Spielberg back to the original feel of Indiana Jones.

In short, I love it.

Zorg

Again, a great idea... I still hope Lucasfilm's research team reads this forum. :)

Indy's brother said:
I especially like the imagery of an Indy artifact floating in mid-air upon it's discovery!!

Me too, although I can't really say why that sounds so cool.. Maybe it's because it's simple yet potentially very interesting visually.

UIMJ

I had never heard of this before. That sounds like a terrific artifact with some great potential underlying themes for a movie. It's too bad that Lucas is so distant with the fans otherwise that'd be one for a good conversation with him. But hey - not all directors can be Jon Favreau, eh? ;)

Great idea!

Indy's brother

Here's some more easy reading on the subject:
The tannaitic term even ha-shetiyah (Foundation Stone) was understood in two ways during Talmudic times: "the stone (or rock) from which the world was woven" and "the foundation stone." Both meanings are based on the belief that the world was created from the stone located in the Holy of Holies of the Temple in Jerusalem, thus forming the center of the world. This concept is closely related to the image of Jerusalem and the Temple as located at the "navel of the world." The Holy Ark was placed on this rock, and during the Second Temple period, the high priest, upon entering the Holy of Holies on Yom Kippur, placed the fire-pan on it. Muslim tradition identifies the rock, over which was built the Dome of the Rock, with the even ha-shetiyah.

The site also expands on the powers of The Even Stone:

There is a Hebrew legend that the divine Name, YHWH, was inscribed on the Foundation Stone. In the Book of Ecclesiastes it is said: "He has made everything beautiful in its time; also He has set the world in their heart, yet so that man cannot find out the work that God has done from the beginning, even to the end."

The Aramaic translator adds: "This hints of the divine name on the Foundation Stone. The divine Name was engraved on the Foundation Stone, and the Lord guarded it in great secrecy, so as not to arouse the evil inclination in the hearts of men, who would desire to know ? with its help ? all that shall come to pass in the end of time, until eternity."
Source.

Apparently it has the ability to reveal God's entire plan for the world, from start to finish. Knowing everything that ever has happened, is happening, or will happen is an obvious motive for a power hungry villian!

Indy's brother

I envision the stone floating in air, appearing backlit from any angle you look at it. The stone appears to be solid, until you touch it, and it's surface ripples like the water it commands. It also serves as a nexus, or a portal between the mortal world and the eternal.

Having no solid physical structure, it would be an immovable object. It could not be simply knocked down by humans to bring about the second coming.

The Indy 5 villain first reaches his hand inside, the shoves his whole upper torso inside to see how God views eternity, to become God-like himself. He pulls back a second later. His hair and beard are shock white and incredibly long. Time does not exist outside our mortal experience. That brief moment has exposed this villain to an infinite duration of time, and has rendered him hopelessly insane. Shaking, giggling, then collapsing in a heap. Another horrific end to someone in the Indyverse who's reach has exceeded their grasp.

Lance Quazar

Well, this definitely feels MUCH closer than so many of the other suggestions and ideas that have been bandied about regarding a new Indy adventure.

But I think it's too similar to the Ark. It would just be a re-hash. "Last Crusade" was already too similar to "Raiders" for many tastes and this feels like it'd be an even closer carbon copy.

As much as I was not a fan of KOTCS, at least they tried to do something different. I think going back to the Bible again would be a step backward for the franchise as a whole.

emtiem

Lance Quazar said:
Well, this definitely feels MUCH closer than so many of the other suggestions and ideas that have been bandied about regarding a new Indy adventure.

But I think it's too similar to the Ark. It would just be a re-hash. "Last Crusade" was already too similar to "Raiders" for many tastes and this feels like it'd be an even closer carbon copy.

As much as I was not a fan of KOTCS, at least they tried to do something different. I think going back to the Bible again would be a step backward for the franchise as a whole.

You're not wrong; I would prefer something a little different- but if it's an Ark-alike that's wanted this is a good candidate.
Personally I'd like to see any new Indy not follow the macguffin formula so closely; why can't his adventures just lead him on to discovering an evil plan (As in Temple)? Stopping an ancient virus from being released; halting an army of zombies... whatever really. He doesn't always have to be chasing a box.

Pale Horse

Staff member
I love an indy story with significant back up on it. This rivals some of the better theories on this board. Well done.

Lance Quazar

emtiem said:
Personally I'd like to see any new Indy not follow the macguffin formula so closely; why can't his adventures just lead him on to discovering an evil plan (As in Temple)? Stopping an ancient virus from being released; halting an army of zombies... whatever really. He doesn't always have to be chasing a box.

Yeah, I completely agree. We need some "outside the box" (heh) thinking for a new Indy story. Not just "gee, what magic object can Indy chase down this time?"

Granted, the story has to be organic to who Indy is as a character - I don't want to see him on a spy mission or anything (which is why I hated those references to "spying on the Reds" that were stupidly in KOTCS.)

But it's time to break the mold. More and more, "Temple" is standing out as the one Indy film that really broke with the formula. Even KOTCS (Indy against America's current national foe in a race for a powerful supernatural artifact) followed the Raiders/Crusade structure to a large extent.

That said, I do prefer that the supernatural is used very sparingly in an Indy film, as we've seen so far. I'm not sure that I want to see an army of zombies or anything in that vein.

It's definitely a very tall order...

Perhilion

Indy's brother said:
I envision the stone floating in air, appearing backlit from any angle you look at it. The stone appears to be solid, until you touch it, and it's surface ripples like the water it commands. It also serves as a nexus, or a portal between the mortal world and the eternal.

Having no solid physical structure, it would be an immovable object. It could not be simply knocked down by humans to bring about the second coming.

The Indy 5 villain first reaches his hand inside, the shoves his whole upper torso inside to see how God views eternity, to become God-like himself. He pulls back a second later. His hair and beard are shock white and incredibly long. Time does not exist outside our mortal experience. That brief moment has exposed this villain to an infinite duration of time, and has rendered him hopelessly insane. Shaking, giggling, then collapsing in a heap. Another horrific end to someone in the Indyverse who's reach has exceeded their grasp.
wow...that's good. do you mind if I borrow some of it (the description of the stone, mainly) for my story?

Le Saboteur

Blame Indy's Bro...

...for pointing me to this thread. It's a great idea, Perhilion. I'd love to see it come to fruition.

My only complaint: It's still deeply tied to the Abrahamic Tradition. It's a selfish complaint, because I would like to see Indy move into 'unfamiliar' territory.