User Name
Password

Old 03-26-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
yodazone
IndyFan

Indiana Jones Omnibus: The Further Adventures Volume 2

INDIANA JONES OMNIBUS: THE FURTHER ADVENTURES VOLUME 2

http://www.amazon.com/Indiana-Jones-...084255&sr=8-14

By David Michelinie, Herb Trimpe, Larry Lieber, Jackson Guice, Steve Ditko and Others

368 pages, $24.95, Dark Horse (October 15, 2009)

Last edited by yodazone : 03-26-2009 at 11:36 AM.
yodazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
Moedred
Administrator

Added to wish list!
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
Vance
IndyFan

October!?!

First ***** of the thread!
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
phantom train
IndyFan

Great news! Thanks for posting the link.

I'm glad that this is actually coming out - since there was no info. on this for a long time, I was concerned.

Also, if memory serves, the cover looks like it was drawn by the great Marvel '80's cover artist M. Golden - this artists' covers were amazing, and even better was when he drew the interior art for a comic (for example, the SW Marvel series, issue #38).

I'm guessing this volume will have the TOD adaptation, and also issues
#13-24 of the "Furthur Adventures of IJ" comic.

Not sure why it's taking so long between volumes (February to October is
8 months), but it's possible that the Marvel comics take longer to
re-color/re-master since they're so old.
phantom train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:39 PM   #5
punisher5150
IndyFan

Favorite Cover

This was probably my favorite cover from the Marvel series. I loved it!
punisher5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom train
Also, if memory serves, the cover looks like it was drawn by the great Marvel '80's cover artist M. Golden - this artists' covers were amazing, and even better was when he drew the interior art for a comic (for example, the SW Marvel series, issue #38).
Yes, it's Micheal Golden and one of the best Indy covers he did for Marvel (there are a few more). Yeah, SW #38 was a real treat when it came out! The 1st issue of "Empire" was expected but instead we got "Riders in the Void" and an amazing tale it was! Another M.Golden fave of mine was Avengers annual #10. EXCELLENT!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
DIrishB
IndyFan

Nice to see this finally got solicited. I'm still waiting on my copy of Volume 1 of the FA, but its been ordered (just waiting on Amazon to ship it in May). Can't wait till tall three are released and in my collection!
DIrishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
Plaristes
IndyFan

Volume Two!
October
Plaristes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:18 PM   #9
Violet

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
^I'm with you, pal.

Though I must say, at least I am getting closer and closer to the "Search for Abner" now more than ever!!! Yay!

Can't wait till October!
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #10
RaiderMitch
TR.N Staff Member

Michael Golden was and still is a great artist - I interviewed him at the NYC ComicCon for the Indy-Cast, but sdaly the audio was lost. He i working on an animated production of Arthue C Clarke's classic "Childhood's End".
RaiderMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:27 AM   #11
WeAreGoingToDie
IndyFan

I was curious if anybody knows how many volumes we can expect to complete "The Further Adventures"?
I'm nearing the end of reading all the novels and wanted to move onto these books.
Also, how many volumes of the 90's comics Omnibuses can we expect to have? I know two are in print so far.
WeAreGoingToDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #12
Stoo
IndyFan

The only '90s Dark Horse stuff left to put out are the 12 "Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" issues. All the '90s Ford-era tales have been re-published in the 2 that are out. You can expect 3 volumes of "Further Adventures" for that complete series. (Mind you there are still enough rare bits'n'bobs to fill even more volumes. Good info in the threads below.)

Indiana Jones - Rare Tales Omnibus Thread
Indiana Jones Omnibus...will there be more beyond the first two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchellhallock
Michael Golden was and still is a great artist - I interviewed him at the NYC ComicCon for the Indy-Cast, but sdaly the audio was lost. He i working on an animated production of Arthue C Clarke's classic "Childhood's End".
That is AWESOME news, Mitch! Can't wait to tell a friend of mine. Too bad you lost the audio.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:22 PM   #13
WeAreGoingToDie
IndyFan

Thanks for the info on the number of volumes! That sounds very reasonable
I tried to get into the Star Wars Marvel reprints "Star Wars: A Long Time Ago..." but there were too many and were too costly.
WeAreGoingToDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:03 PM   #14
yodazone
IndyFan

Here's the early Dark Horse solicit with official contents:

INDIANA JONES OMNIBUS: THE FURTHER ADVENTURES VOLUME 2

David Michelinie (W/A), Herb Trimpe (W/A), Larry Lieber (W), Archie Goodwin (W), Jackson Guice (A), Steve Ditko (A), and others
On sale Oct 21
FC, 368 pages
$24.95
TPB, 6" x 9"

Clouds of war gather ominously over Europe…the Great Depression grips the world…but one globe-trotting archaeologist’s thirst for adventure and discovery remains undaunted by his times in The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones!

Writer David Michelinie continues to team up with notable comics artists Steve Ditko, David Mazzucchelli, Herb Trimpe, and Jackson Guice to entertain Indy fans everywhere! This massive volume collects twelve full issues of the 1980s ongoing series—along with the official adaptation of Temple of Doom—for the very first time.
The Dark Horse series Indiana Jones Omnibus: The Further Adventures is the first modern collection of Indiana Jones material originally published by Marvel!

- The first three Dark Horse Indiana Jones Omnibus editions have combined to sell over 45,000 copies!

Old 05-10-2009, 12:35 AM   #15
phantom train
IndyFan

Thanks for posting the official solicitation - this will be a great compilation. It's been at least 25 years since I've read these "Furthur Adventures" issues, and I don't remember ever reading the TOD adaptation.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #16
InBanana Jones
IndyFan

I put my order in for this and vol 1 and while I'd prefer the size to be like Dark Horse's Star Wars TPBs, the smaller size doesn't matter all that much, since the color and paper quality are outstanding. Reading the old Claremont-Byrne X-Men in the new format recently has been a revelation and I don't think I can go back to looking at the old books, which is like looking through a dirty window with a cataract. Besides, any time I can get collected editions of cherished comics I make the switch. My house is small enough as it is! Dragging comic longboxes out of the closet is a real pain.

Now the question remains: Do I keep my old comics or sell them?
InBanana Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:40 AM   #17
UIMJ
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodazone
- The first three Dark Horse Indiana Jones Omnibus editions have combined to sell over 45,000 copies!

That's actually not very good and they are sort of skewing the stat. That most likely actually means that each book had a print run of approximately 15,000 copies, which is typically a cancellation print run at most companies. Then, of those 15,000 copies of each maybe only 10,000 were sold to an actual end user because it doesn't account for what's still sitting on store shelves across the country.

But, on the upside, clearly it's enough for Dark Horse to keep publishing books.
UIMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #18
Rocket Surgeon

first three ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodazone

There's one and two...where's the third Omnibus?

Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #19
InBanana Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon

I believe the third volume referred to is of the Dark Horse stories from the 1990s. I've never read those, but that will change...
Old 06-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #20
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
By 'three", yodazone meant the 2 Dark Horse volumes and the 1st Marvel. Volumes 2 & 3 of Marvel's "Further Advenutres" are not out yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InBanana Jones
..and I don't think I can go back to looking at the old books, which is like looking through a dirty window with a cataract. Besides, any time I can get collected editions of cherished comics I make the switch. My house is small enough as it is! Dragging comic longboxes out of the closet is a real pain.

Now the question remains: Do I keep my old comics or sell them?
Great description, Banana! Keep or sell is a tough choice but I like originals for their nostalgic value (ads/letters pages) so I'll never get rid of my Indys. Some of my favourite "Further Adventures" are starting to look a little worn which make the Omnibus reprints very welcome, indeed. The paper stock is much heavier than the newsprint pages of the oldies and, obviously, much easier to thumb through. The colours are splendid and the whites are white.

The only criticism I have is the size format and don't understand why they are smaller. Is this a standard "graphic novel" size or a production cost issue?
Old 06-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #21
Jono11
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
The only criticism I have is the size format and don't understand why they are smaller. Is this a standard "graphic novel" size or a production cost issue?
It makes them cheaper.
Jono11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #22
InBanana Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Great description, Banana! Keep or sell is a tough choice but I like originals for their nostalgic value (ads/letters pages) so I'll never get rid of my Indys. Some of my favourite "Further Adventures" are starting to look a little worn which make the Omnibus reprints very welcome, indeed. The paper stock is much heavier than the newsprint pages of the oldies and, obviously, much easier to thumb through. The colours are splendid and the whites are white.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the smaller size. Some of my favorite comics were ones I read after they were reprinted in the even smaller mass paperback form! Those were the Lee-Ditko Spider-Man books and Giant-Size X-Men #1--the latter in black and white. The fact that the Indy books are a bit smaller makes little difference to me. Besides, that's the only way to get 'em now.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:56 AM   #23
phantom train
IndyFan

Quote:
By 'three", yodazone meant the 2 Dark Horse volumes and the 1st Marvel. Volumes 2 & 3 of Marvel's "Further Advenutres" are not out yet.

As someone else mentioned, this is almost certainly a production cost issue - in "The Further Adventures of IJ Volume 1", we are getting 15 issues of the comic (12 issues of the regular series, plus the ROTLA adaptation) for about $25. If these were printed in the regular comic size, I'm sure the volume would be probably $30-$35. It's possible it would not be worth DH's while to reprint these if they had to charge that higher price, since it's possible (probable?) that less people would purchase the volume if it were more expensive.
Personally, I would rather pay the lower price

To add: Initially, I also was concerned about the smaller size of the comics and felt that it would detract from my enjoyment of the issues. However, after buying and reading the "Further Adventures of IJ" volume 1 earlier this year, I have to say that the smaller size is fine, and I even prefer this - none of the arwork detail is lost, the covers are all included, and, if the volume were bigger, it would be harder to hold while reading.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:27 PM   #24
doesitmatter
IndyFan

I had NO idea these were out! I must have assumed it was the Dark Horse Vol. 1 resolicited with a new cover and walked right by it.

I'll have to pick these up.
doesitmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #25
yodazone
IndyFan

The 3-page preview is up:

http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/Previews/15-825

Click to see the new cleaned up remastered pages!