Amelia Earhart

I wanted to do a list of Amelia Earhart information.I pretty sure it's all correct and checks out.If not,feel free to correct me and I'll make the necessary changes.So here it is.Enjoy!:)

Amelia Earhart Information:

Full name: Amelia Mary Earhart

Born: July 24,1897 Atchison,Kansas,USA

Died: missing July 2,1937 over central Pacific Ocean near Howland Island.

Declared Dead: January 5,1939

Cause of death:Unknown

Spouse:George P.Putnam

Relatives:
Father-Samuel "Edwin" Stanton Earhart(1868-1930)
Mother-Amelia Otis Earhart(1869-1962)

Amelia Earhart's Aviation Timeline:

1908-Amelia saw her first aircraft at the Iowa State fair in Des Moines.Her father tried to interest her and her sister in taking a flight.One look at the rickety old "flivver" was enough for Amelia(Millie),who promptly asked if they could go back to the merry-go-round.She later described the biplane as a thing of rusty wire and wood and not at all interesting.

1920-She had her first airplane flight in California with the veteran flier Frank Hawkes, and knew immediately that she wanted to become a pilot.Her first instructor was Anita "Neta" Snook who gave her flying lessons in a Curtiss Jenny.

1921-Earhart received her pilot's license and bought a Kinner Airster.

October 22,1922-Set women's altitude record of 14,000 feet.

June 17-18,1928-While working at the Denison Settlement house in Boston,she was offered the opportunity to fly as a passenger across the Atlantic Ocean.She was the first woman passenger,with pilots Stultz and Gordon,and this brought her international attention and the opportunity to earn a living in aviation;20hrs 40min(Fokker F7, Friendship).

August 1929-Placed third in the First Women's Air Derby,aka the Powder Puff Derby;upgraded from her Avian to a Lockheed Vega.

Fall 1929-Elected as an official for National Aeronautic Association and encouraged the Federation Aeronautique Internationale (FAI) to establish separate world altitude, speed and endurance records for women.

June 25,1930-Set women's speed record for 100 kilometers with no load, and with a load of 500 kilograms.

July 5,1930-Set speed record for of 181.18mph over a 3K course.

1931-Speed records for 100 km (and with 500 lb (230 kg) cargo).

April 8,1931-Set woman's autogyro altitude record with 18,415 feet (in a Pitcairn autogyro).First woman to fly an autogyro.

1932-First person to cross the U.S. in an autogyro.

May 20-21,1932-At the age of 34,on the morning of May 20,1932,Earhart set off from Harbour Grace,Newfoundland and landed in a pasture at Culmore, north of Derry,Northern Ireland the next day.She was the first woman(but,the second person)to fly solo across the Atlantic.She flew in the Lockheed Vega 5B(which she called "old Bessie,the fire horse" and it has also been referred to as "lovely red Vega")and established her reputation as a great female pilot;14 hrs 56 min(it was also the 5th anniversary of Lindberg's Atlantic flight).

1932-She was the first woman to fly solo non-stop across the Atlantic and the first person to fly the Atlantic twice.

1932-Congress awarded her the Distinguished Flying Cross.She was the first woman to receive the Distinguished Flying Cross.She also received the Cross of Knight of the Legion of Honor from the French Government and the Gold Medal of the National Geographic Society from President Herbert Hoover.

August 24-25,1932-First woman to fly solo nonstop coast to coast;set women's nonstop transcontinental speed record, flying 2,447.8 miles in 19hrs 5min.

Fall 1932-Elected president of the Ninety Nines,a new women's aviation club which she helped to form.

July 7-8,1933-Broke her previous transcontinental speed record by making the same flight in 17hrs 7min.

January 11,1935-First person to fly solo the 2,408-mile distance across the Pacific between Honolulu,Hawaii and Oakland,California;also first flight where a civilian aircraft carried a two-way radio.After an 18 hour flight,she landed at Oakland,with thousands of cheering fans to welcome her.

April 19,1935-First person to fly solo from Los Angeles,California to Mexico City,Mexico.

May 8,1935-First person to fly solo nonstop from Mexico City,Mexico to Newark,New Jersey;14hrs 19min.

March 17,1937-Speed record for east-to-west flight from Oakland,California to Honolulu,Hawaii.
The Electra later ended up at the United States Navy's Luke Field on Ford Island in Pearl Harbor.

June 1,1937-Departed from Oakland,California to Miami,Florida.

June 29,1937-Arrived at Lae,New Guinea.At this stage about 22,000 miles(35,000 km)of the journey had been completed.The remaining 7,000 miles(11,000 km)would all be over the Pacific.

July 2,1937-(midnight GMT)Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan took off from Lae in the heavily loaded Electra.Their intended destination was Howland Island,a flat sliver of land 6,500 ft(2,000 m)long and 1,600 ft(500 m)wide,10 feet(3 m)high and 2,556 miles(4,113 km)away.Their last known position report was near the Nukumanu Islands,about 800 miles(1,300 km)into the flight(Nukumanu Islands are located in the Southwestern Pacific Ocean).The United States Coast Guard cutter Itasca was on station at Howland,assigned to communicate with Earhart's Lockheed Electra 10E and guide them to the island once they arrived in the vicinity.In her last known transmission at 8:43 a.m.Earhart broadcast "We are on the line 157 337.We will repeat this message.We will repeat this on 6210 kilocycles.Wait."However,a few moments later she was back on the same frequency(3105 kHz)with a transmission which was logged as a"questionable": "We are running on line north and south."Earhart's transmissions seemed to indicate she and Noonan believed they had reached Howland's charted position.

Stoo

Amelia Earhart said:
January 11,1935-First person to fly solo the 2,408-mile distance across the Pacific between Honolulu,Hawaii and Oakland,California;also first flight where a civilian aircraft carried a two-way radio.After an 18 hour flight,she landed at Oakland,with thousands of cheering fans to welcome her.
Hi, Amelia. Glad to know you've come back from the dead.:dead: Please tell us about your ocean rescue of Indiana Jones (as seen in "Shrine of the Sea Devil").

I'm all EARs, sweetHART.:p Welcome to The Raven!:hat:

Last edited:

Trennas

Wow, TheRaider now has a certified ghost in the machine (y)

*Quickly looks up old Ouija board!*

Seriously though, original introduction! :D

monkey

Thanks for this very interesting post.

Very interesting information.

Actually my father (I'm aging myself here) participated in the search for Emilia Earhart.

He was in the US Navy stationed on a Battleship that took part in the search.

And you know........it took a LOT of balls to do what she did. When you think back to 1937, and setting out over the Pacific Ocean, in an airplane of that time period...........i.e. NO satellite navigation, NO weather forecast information, NO modern communications technology....and an airplane built in the 1930's..........(what kind of electronics could it have had?).

Despite all of that, she and her co-pilot took off and flew into what must have been an inky black darkness.........with no fear.

Were they captured by the Japanese? I don't think any Japanese records indicate that........however....there are a lot of unanswered questions about Amelia Earhart's last flight.

WilliamBoyd8

I watched an episode of an old US television show "Tales of Tomorrow" from 1952.
The episode was titled "Flight Overdue".

It explained what really happened to Amelia Earhart.

Basically, she actually joined a secret US government program and went where
Neil Armstrong went but didn't return.

:)

WilliamBoyd8

post_stamp_c68.jpg

US Postage Stamp issued July 24, 1963

:)

AnnieJones

Agent Crab said:
Is it me.. or am I one of the few that this user got banned? Ahw ell.. Intresting topic.
I think this Amelia Earhart is banned by now,because we (The Raven members) haven't heard from her for a while.

Jack Nelligan

Cause of death: Unknown

I think we can update the cause of death to: Plane crash!

This looks like a good movie...can't wait to see it.

If you have young girls, which I don't, only my boys, I would take them to see this movie. Amelia was a strong woman during the time of "The Man", and
is a good role model for girls, unlike some of the so called roll models they have these days.:whip:

Does anyone have any good theories about how she got lost?????:confused:

AnnieJones

Stoo said:
She was banned the day she started posting.:dead:
Why?:confused: Aren't people allowed to have "real people" names on The Raven?
If that's the case,I think that is such a STUPID rule to have.

Finn

Staff member
AnnieJones said:
If that's the case,I think that is such a STUPID rule to have.
The reason she was banned was because we found an IP connection towards an existing user... and you're not the one who should ask who that is.

Gear

... jamesdude... :eek:

... Or maybe it was one of the mods whilst on their vacation.

Amelia Earhart, last seen over the Banana Islands.