TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?
Absolutely!!! I'm in lala land 52 36.11%
Maybe...but not today. 53 36.81%
No, not with any of the current creators and members. 19 13.19%
Heck no, no denial issues here. 8 5.56%
I may not like it, but a Re-boot is possible within the decade 18 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2011, 11:28 AM   #5026
Rocket Surgeon

Harrison Ford holds out for Indy 5

Quote:

Harrison Ford has revealed he would definitely be up for a fifth outing as Indiana Jones.

The Hollywood star, who has played the intrepid adventurer in four movies, would gladly reprise the role - but with a proviso.

"If we come up with a script that everybody has confidence in, sure - I'd love to play the character again," he said.

"That's the business of getting a good script. But at the moment it has not even got to the point where I know what the story is going to be."
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:39 AM   #5027
Pale Horse

After 100 pages and 5000 posts, I should close this thread on General Principle.

5 isn't going to happen.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #5028
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
After 100 pages and 5000 posts, I should close this thread on General Principle.

5 isn't going to happen.

It may have life one day, Jim, but not as we know it.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #5029
Pale Horse

Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #5030
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Old 08-22-2011, 01:30 PM   #5031
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

Lol maybe if you toss him a chip Montana he will take the line
Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #5032
theosu67
IndyFan

Quote:

5 isn't going to happen.

I'm sorry to say but it looks like you're right. A sad way to end what in my opinion is the greatest character in movie history.
theosu67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #5033
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theosu67
I'm sorry to say but it looks like you're right. A sad way to end what in my opinion is the greatest character in movie history.

Or in a series, anyhow.

(Although...The Godfather.)
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #5034
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Quote:

5 isn't going to happen.

This thread is interesting reading and while you are probably right about no Indy 5 or as Montana put it "It may have life one day, Jim, but not as we know it." I think this thread should be given a little more life before we all give up on another adventure. Just a thought
Henry W Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #5035
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Or in a series, anyhow.

(Although...The Godfather.)

Yeah I think its almost universally agreed upon that The Godfather Part III was subpar...
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:02 PM   #5036
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo
Yeah I think its almost universally agreed upon that The Godfather Part III was subpar...

Godfather III is underrated and not a horrible movie. It actually has some great moments and I feel it's a great movie for a sequel. It's not quite I or II but I still find it to be quality and sub par is a bit harsh.
Henry W Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #5037
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo

Well, of course. (Although, Henry W Jones is right...there's some very good stuff in it, but most of the problems are those of casting, namely the presence of Sofia Coppola and, even more so, the absence of Robert Duvall. Still - it's the definition of subpar to be below the norm.)

But the characters in the Godfather are still more compelling than Indy. His appeal is more iconic than character-based, even though its the enriching of a iconic type figure with characterization that gives the films and the man staying power.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #5038
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry W Jones
Godfather III is underrated and not a horrible movie. It actually has some great moments and I feel it's a great movie for a sequel. It's not quite I or II but I still find it to be quality and sub par is a bit harsh.
Originally it was going to be called "The Death of Michael Corleone" but Paramount insisted that it be called Part III... which is ironic since Paramount hated the title the "Godfather Part II" and wanted to change it. I think that had Part III been called "The Death of Michael Corleone" it would have been more accepted and seen as a supplement film... which was Coppola's intention.

What I meant by my "subpar" comment is that it is subpar to the other two Godfathers. If you divorce it from the other two it makes a good standalone film. I love a few scenes in that film. Particularly the very end when Michael finally dies of old age in Corleone Sicily and the little puppy goes up to him. I love that for some reason. I think that... Like I said above, had the title been different it would been more accepted. I think that may be the reason Ridley Scott's "Alien prequel" doesn't have the word "alien" in it. Prometheus is a very different story, much like Godfather 3 is a very different story... so perhaps divorcing "alien" from the title will stop people from giving it so much flak.

But we are digressing big time... back to Indiana Jones 5 talk.

Perhaps this discussion could get moved into the Godfather thread? If any one would care to?
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:35 AM   #5039
Mickiana
IndyFan

I would love to see an Indy5 both to see Indy again and hopefully to make up for CS.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:59 AM   #5040
IndyForever
IndyFan

Lucas is very secretive so Ford may not have been told what idea he is pursuing. I think GL has spent the time since 2008 on Red Tails & the Star Wars Bluray releases due next month. As GL has been heavily involved in that aspect listening to new sound mixes & approving other changes like Visual FX etc etc.

Now he has all the time to devote to Indy5 until GL says its dead we have hope & in the next few weeks GL will be hitting the PR media trail to promote the SW Blurays so then he is most likely going to be asked a few times about the status of Indy5.

Until Lucas says its dead its alive!!
IndyForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #5041
michael
IndyFan

Location: "What was it again? The penitent man will what? Oh No."
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyForever
Until Lucas says its dead its alive!!
But he won't ever say it's dead.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #5042
Darth Vile
IndyFan

Indy V will be made at some point I'm sure. What I think is more debatable is wether it will feature Harrison Ford. Many thougt that James Bond wouldn't survive without Connery, and even though Connery may have been the best Bond, there have certianly been some decent Bond movie over the years. I'd like there to be another Ford Indy one (just for old times), but to be honest I think I'd sooner see a re-boot in a few years...

P.S. Godfather III is a quality movie. Not as substantial or significant as parts I and II, but a worthy addition nonetheless (IMHO). The last reel, which obviously emulates Opera itself, is really sublime... and in a way it turns the entire Godfather saga into a Shakesperian tradgedy - which again I think is a great artistic choice.

Last edited by Darth Vile : 08-23-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Darth Vile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #5043
IndyForever
IndyFan

Anyone LA based if yes this is your chance to ask about the status & let Spielberg know the faithful Indy fans still want them to make 1 last epic adventure!!

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/s...erg_140173.asp

I would be shocked if Indy5 is not a topic of conversation...........
IndyForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #5044
The Stranger
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vile
Indy V will be made at some point I'm sure. What I think is more debatable is wether it will feature Harrison Ford. Many thougt that James Bond wouldn't survive without Connery, and even though Connery may have been the best Bond, there have certianly been some decent Bond movie over the years. I'd like there to be another Ford Indy one (just for old times), but to be honest I think I'd sooner see a re-boot in a few years...

Hmm... don't know, pal. Lucas himself had expressed many times that to him "Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones". Seems that he actually thinks the same as many of us, at least...
The Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:26 PM   #5045
Rivers
IndyFan

Hers's what is bugging me... quite a while ago Harrison says they have a nub of an idea for Indy 5.... now he says he has no idea what it would be about!!!

SO WHAT THE HELL IS THE TRUTH?? DO YOU HAVE AN IDEA OR NOT?? Whats with all the misinformation???
Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:36 AM   #5046
Darth Vile
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stranger
Hmm... don't know, pal. Lucas himself had expressed many times that to him "Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones". Seems that he actually thinks the same as many of us, at least...

That may be the case for now... but it seems to me that Lucas probably has the propensity to be coming up with good ideas for many years to come. I'd say that Lucas' potential for coming up with another story probably has a longer shelf life than Ford's physical ability to play the role... So it's just a question of if Lucas comes up with a killer story/premise for another Indy movie (in 5 years time let's say), what does he do with that idea knowing Ford is too old to play the part? Forever consign the charcter of Indiana Jones to the trash/bin or doing something new with it?
Old 08-25-2011, 05:28 AM   #5047
Mickiana
IndyFan

Didn't Lucas also say SW would never be seen on anything other than the silver screen?
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:55 AM   #5048
replican't

Most of you are too near the trees to see the wood.

If someone came up to you and suggested making yet another movie in an action franchise that was 30 years old, where the lead actor would be 70, you'd laugh so hard some wee would come out.

Imagine Bruce Willis doing a Die Hard at Harrisom's age, or Daniel Craig coming back as Bond in 2038.

Ridiculous. Let this thing die with dignity. The last one was bad enough.
replican't is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:37 AM   #5049
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by replican't
Most of you are too near the trees to see the wood.

If someone came up to you and suggested making yet another movie in an action franchise that was 30 years old, where the lead actor would be 70, you'd laugh so hard some wee would come out.

Imagine Bruce Willis doing a Die Hard at Harrisom's age, or Daniel Craig coming back as Bond in 2038.

Ridiculous. Let this thing die with dignity. The last one was bad enough.

I agree that Indy shouldn't be forced on us at whatever age Harrison happens to be, at least not if Lucas and Spielberg still want to give us spectacular action sequences.

There is definitely the opportunity for another movie, but only if the creators have the courage to present it in a different style. That courage would have to be taken at the risk of alienating younger viewers.

It's a Catch-22 situation.

The point has been reached (and some would say it was reached in 2008), where the creators can't win. Whichever way they jump they will either be chastised for being ridiculous, or admonished for producing a film with too little 'hero' action.

Sylvester Stallone is four years younger than Harrison, and he's already pushing the boundaries. The 60 year-old Rocky Balboa stretched credibility, though Stallone is still a very fit individual.

At 61 his Rambo still had the physique, but the face was showing the signs of age. I liked the tone of the movie, but it was sad to see Rambo looking that age.

He was 63 in The Expendables, and he'll be at least 65 in Expendables 2. There comes a time when we can't reasonably expect an actor to be doing the same things they were accomplishing in their younger days.

Unless Harrison is to be upstaged in #5, his role needs to be in a carefully crafted story that will permit an older character to dominate. He will be relying on the experience of age, and the range provided by a firearm. If #5 continues on in the same manner as KOTCS, then Indy will truly be entrenched in self-parody.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:22 AM   #5050
Darth Vile
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
I agree that Indy shouldn't be forced on us at whatever age Harrison happens to be, at least not if Lucas and Spielberg still want to give us spectacular action sequences.

There is definitely the opportunity for another movie, but only if the creators have the courage to present it in a different style. That courage would have to be taken at the risk of alienating younger viewers.

Unless Harrison is to be upstaged in #5, his role needs to be in a carefully crafted story that will permit an older character to dominate. He will be relying on the experience of age, and the range provided by a firearm. If #5 continues on in the same manner as KOTCS, then Indy will truly be entrenched in self-parody.

I agree with you… although paradoxically I think it’s the older more expectant audiences who are more likely to be alienated by a different tone of Indy movie; rather than the younger audience (who probably wouldn’t bring all the nostalgic baggage).

The mistake in these type of scenarios (when we have established actors in established roles), is when writers start writing for the actor as opposed to the character/story… Sure - if a great story set in the 1950’s, with a largely passive Indy in more mentoring role, can be made then I’m up for that… bring back Ford and we’ll get to see another old school Indy movie (but expect no shift in tone). But conversely, if there is a better story out there for a 1920’s set story with a swashbuckling/romantic lead - make that one instead and count me in…