Filming Locations

MDew

I'm trying to compile a Google Map for all of the filming locations (and other attractions) for all 4 films (to eventually be put in Google Earth). It's a work in progress, but here's what I have so far. Any help would be appreciated, there's a lot of places I'm looking for - I'll come up with a "wanted" list soon. My goal is to be as specific as possible with each location. If you want to help edit, PM me your email & I'll add you to the list. I also have a Young Indy map in progress too.

MDew

Wanted list (will be added onto):

Indy's house in KOTCS (somewhere in Pasadena)

The wedding church in KOTCS

More info on the Nazca town set from KOTCS, built on the Universal backlot (or any of the backlot sets for that matter). It was built on a previous town set, so I wonder if it's still there & visible on the Studio Tour?

The "Bantu Wind" from Raiders (aka the Abeer Delta) - where is it now?

Sallah's house in Raiders (somewhere in Kairouan, Tunisia)

The exact location of Tanis Digs site - these guys know where it is!

Exact locations of Cairo street scenes in Kairouan - They found those, too.

The "Paramount" mountain on Kauai (Raiders)

Indy's house in Raiders (somewhere near University of the Pacific campus in Stockton, CA)

Which shots in Raiders were shot at the University of the Pacific (I assume the exteriors?)

Where on the Ricksmanworth campus is Indy's room & other college locations?

Indy's Colorado house in Last Crusade (was actually shot somewhere near Arches National Park)

The stretch of road used for motorcycle chase in Last Crusade (I've heard the Mt. Tamalpais road and somewhere in Fairfax, CA.

Henry Sr.'s house in Last Crusade (in Mill Hill, England)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
MDew said:
Wanted list (will be added onto):

Indy's house in KOTCS (somewhere in Pasadena)

The wedding church in KOTCS

More info on the Nazca town set from KOTCS, built on the Universal backlot (or any of the backlot sets for that matter). It was built on a previous town set, so I wonder if it's still there & visible on the Studio Tour?

I can help you with these questions. For Indy's house exterior in KOTCS, PM 'Moedred'. He actually has been there and was there the day it was shot.

For the wedding church (it's supposedly the one in New Haven), you can PM 'mitchellhallock' or alternatively, on Youtube you can search for footage of the New Haven location shoots, and ask the Youtubers who have put those bits of footage up.

The Nazca town set, I can personally help you with. I went to Universal Studios on December 28, 2009 and can confirm that it is still there and is still shown on the Studio Tour. It isn't fully dressed though, and it is between the Old Mexico town sets and the very old Wild West sets. I have footage of the Nazca set on the Tour, however it will take me a bit of time, uploading it to Youtube for Indyfan and your reference as I'm kind of busy editing the footage together for a series of home videos on DVD, which is first priority at this point.

A couple of the other members will be better at answering your other questions. For all things YIJC, first point of call for you, should PM Stoo, or lairdo (especially lairdo, since he was actually part of the crew that made the series, he would still have notes on where things were shot).

Right, just got back from my Mill Hill excursion, not sure. Its all fenced in, theres what appears to be a clapper board house peeping out from one of the corners but its difficult to tell. Will return and climb a tree when its not raining

MDew

Violet Indy said:
The Nazca town set, I can personally help you with. I went to Universal Studios on December 28, 2009 and can confirm that it is still there and is still shown on the Studio Tour.
I figured that was probably the case, they don't tend to tear stuff down until specifically needed by another production. Sweet, I'll have to get down there before it changes to something else! The bad thing about that tour is that they don't let you wander around on foot & take photos (like WB, Paramount & Sony) :(
Thanks for all the other leads as well, that's a big help.
Jeremiah Jones said:
Holy Smokes! I live five minutes away from the mill hill district on my bike...of I pedal to look
Go Jeremiah, go! (y)
Jeremiah Jones said:
Will return and climb a tree when its not raining
LOL, don't get caught!
The Complete Making of Indiana Jones says "England's Mill Hill stood in for the "American Streets" outside Professor Jones's house"
Screenshots for your assistance: Photo 1 and Photo 2

Joosse

Jeremiah Jones said:
Right, just got back from my Mill Hill excursion, not sure. Its all fenced in, theres what appears to be a clapper board house peeping out from one of the corners but its difficult to tell. Will return and climb a tree when its not raining

Let us know how that one turns out! :D

Stoo

MDew said:
Indy's house in KOTCS (somewhere in Pasadena))
Check out these threads:

First-hand report concerning the alleged "reshoot" in Pasadena!
Indy 4 pick-up shot in Pasadena
MDew said:
The exact location of Tanis Digs site - these guys know where it is!

Exact locations of Cairo street scenes in Kairouan - They found those, too.)
Very cool! Fellow Ravenhead, Barnett College, did the same thing in Petra for the "Crusade" finale shots. Last Crusade, 20 years later
MDew said:
Indy's Colorado house in Last Crusade (was actually shot somewhere near Arches National Park)
This was for sale last year. There is a thread here about it which will give you more details. (Can't find it right now.)

Last but not least, a Finnish member totally nailed the shot of the drive in Elsa's car. (Can't believe I was so close to this TWICE a couple of years ago!:mad:) Last Crusade on location - road from Venice to castle Brunwald

If you look at these links, I *think* it's part of the W-shaped section of the road marked 999, the Rossfeld Panoramastrasse. SW of Obersalzberg near the Austrian border.

http://www.qype.co.uk/place/48122-Rossfeld-Panoramastrasse-Berchtesgaden
http://www.maplandia.com/germany/bayern/oberbayern/berchtesgadener-land/obersalzberg/

...and, like you said, "Go, Jermiah, go!"(y)
Violet Indy said:
For all things YIJC, first point of call for you, should PM Stoo, or lairdo (especially lairdo, since he was actually part of the crew that made the series, he would still have notes on where things were shot).
Violet, you're too kind.:) MDew started a similar thread specifically for YIJC locations so I'll reply there.

MDew

Sweet, I saw the threads on Petra & the road to the castle, but hadn't seen the other info so I'll check those out. Thanks Stoo!

Just found the street view in Google and Indy's KOTCS house is 476 Bradford. Woohoo, check off another one!

Much the same as I did for the Young Indy locations, I've created a page for research photos from the films strictly to help find the locations. Not done yet (HTML is VERY time-consuming) but I've found a bunch more information lately - The Complete Making of Indiana Jones book is extremely helpful - that I will be adding soon.

Last edited:

MDew

Finally finished the Last Crusade page. Wow, this is a lot of work for one person! Check it out and see if you can hunt down any of the missing locations. More on the way...

indyfan85

I don't know why but avira gave me a virus warning when I viewed one of filming locations on that site, probably a false alarm. There is allot of good info there though.

hovitos

Locations

There's the 'Raiders' meadow on Kauai (Hawaii) - it's on private property not far from waterfall in the opening scene. I think there's a 4x4 movie tour company that still takes you there. Following photo was from my visit there in 2003...
4299017342_4cceee8a0d_o.jpg

Indie House

And for those that haven't stumbled on this one...

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gwQnpO6nWYw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gwQnpO6nWYw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

Once you get to Kairouan, all the specific locations are described here! :hat:

On further investigation I don't think the Mill Hill in Barnes (as marked on the map) Is the Mill Hill they shot at, far more likely is a Mill Hill in North West London, its a much larger district, with lots of tree lines roads, like in the movie. Its also quite close to Elstree and the location of Indiana's classroom. I'm gonna Ferret around Google Earth and see if I can find a location before I cycle up that way and take some snaps :gun:

San Holo

Hovitos- Did you go to the waterfall scene(Kipu Falls) also/ Did you swing from the rope into the lagoon? It's a very cool place(y)

hovitos

Kipu Falls

San Holo - yea...saw Kipu Falls and swung on the rope (though I didn't let go and fall into the river). I think they also shot bits of 'Mighty Joe Young' and 'Outbreak' on/near the meadow too.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
MDew said:
Which shots in Raiders were shot at the University of the Pacific (I assume the exteriors?)
Faye Spanos Concert Hall‎
3601 Pacific Ave
Stockton, CA 95211
(shot re-used in Indy 4)
s640x480

I don't know about Indy's house in Raiders, that's news to me...