TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
Goodsport
IndyFan

L.A. Noire

This sandbox game for both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, developed by Team Bondi and published by Rockstar Games, is expected in stores sometime during the first half of 2011.

Aaron Stanton (who plays Kenneth Cosgrove in AMC's Mad Men) even lends his voice and likeness to the main character, Cole Phelps.

-G
Goodsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
Attila the Professor

Very interested in this, from everything I know about it thus far. (And I only recently learned of Aaron Staton's involvement; not a bad likeness, that.) Red Dead Redemption was the first of the Rockstar Games I'd bothered to play, and other than one other excursion, that's the extent of my experience with the sandbox form. (The Godfather game drew me in on the basis of the license.)

We'll be getting a trailer on Thursday, and it looks like a website as well. There had been one previously, but it looks like they probably took it down for the time being. I'm sure we'll get links to both here in two days.

Here's an older trailer from '06, which gives us a lot of atmosphere but certainly no gameplay. (That isn't to say that we'll get gameplay on Thursday.)

Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

Been hearing bout thi game for over a year...
Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurhachi1991
Been hearing bout thi game for over a year...

Yeah, it was postponed, originally meant to be out this fall. But then that's an expectation in this particular industry, more or less.

The project of theirs that's really MIA is Agent.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:48 AM   #5
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

I remember reading about that awhile back to it's like Rockstars Duke Nukeum forever
Old 11-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
Goodsport
IndyFan

-G
Old 11-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
DiscoLad
IndyFan

*CoughMAFIA2COUGH*

DiscoLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoLad
*CoughMAFIA2COUGH*

You were saying?

Yes, Mafia 2 is the game coming out at roughly the same time from the other side of the law, and the country. Although, what I've heard about it sounds like it did not live up to its expectations - I gave the demo a try, and the whole thing seemed a bit clunky - the mechanics, especially for driving, and the clunky way the story didn't seem to be integrated into the gameplay. That's just from the demo, but I've seen it said elsewhere, and I just couldn't see putting in the work to find my way to liking it.

But, of course, an extended discussion of Mafia 2 would really belong elsewhere.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #9
Goodsport
IndyFan

Exclamation

You can view the recently-released first trailer to the game here.

-G
Old 11-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #10
Attila the Professor

Hmm. My first reaction, other than "well, that looks cool," is that this game will require a lot more conversation, by virtue of the lead character's role as detective. I wonder if we'll get any dialogue trees, or if it's all settled for us. The taciturn John Marston he's not; that's clear already.

From ScrawlFx.com:
Quote:
Pay attention to the detail on each character’s face as they converse; their emotions are clearly displayed with each word they speak. Players will need to utilize this unique feature by analyzing their suspects’ faces and determine on their own what the story is in order to find out the truth.

If this is true, sounds like there might actually be something to the detective work here.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #11
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
L.A. Noire has been on my "list" for a few years now. Mafia II looks like fun, but I'm waiting for it's price to drop before I pick it up.
On a related but slightly different note: Attila, have you ever played Heavy Rain on the PS3? I think you'd enjoy that game.
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:08 AM   #12
Goodsport
IndyFan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Aaron Staton (who plays Kenneth Cosgrove in AMC's Mad Men) even lends his voice and likeness to the main character, Cole Phelps.

And according to this blog, Mike Uppendahl (one of Mad Men's directors) is directing this game.

-G
Old 11-12-2010, 07:30 AM   #13
DiscoLad
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
You were saying?

Yes, Mafia 2 is the game coming out at roughly the same time from the other side of the law, and the country. Although, what I've heard about it sounds like it did not live up to its expectations - I gave the demo a try, and the whole thing seemed a bit clunky - the mechanics, especially for driving, and the clunky way the story didn't seem to be integrated into the gameplay. That's just from the demo, but I've seen it said elsewhere, and I just couldn't see putting in the work to find my way to liking it.

But, of course, an extended discussion of Mafia 2 would really belong elsewhere.

What?
All I meant was it looks exactly like Mafia II, which was one of the worst playing games I've touched. It was clunky, very true.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:05 AM   #14
Goodsport
IndyFan

Thumbs up

GameInformer.com has a four-page preview article about the game here.

-G
Old 11-27-2010, 10:40 PM   #15
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
What?
All I meant was it looks exactly like Mafia II, which was one of the worst playing games I've touched. It was clunky, very true.

Had you referenced this, this, or even this you might have garnered more credibility. Otherwise, you'll need to learn that vague, surface similarities do not a valid comparison make.

That said, I'm glad they redid the logo. There was something about the previous incarnation that didn't sit well with me. I kept imagining the logo from a car; which one, I can't quite put my figure on. Perhaps the Chevy Bel Air?

I had the same initial reaction as Atilla. Yes, it looks cool, but I'll want to know more before I decide to get it. In fact, if it weren't for the investigative aspect of the game, I wouldn't bother picking it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla the Professor
If this is true, sounds like there might actually be something to the detective work here.

I'm wondering if you'll be able to muff a case.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:01 AM   #16
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

L.A. Noire is gradually coming off the QT, going on the record, and is no longer hush-hush.

Rockstar has released the first wallpaper featuring the new logo and the shadowy image of the game's lead, Cole Phelps.

They've also collected a few of the most recent impressions from various press outlets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVG
This has astounding promise - a giddily cinematic experience, housing an unflinching, surprisingly cerebral adult journey.”

The above quote from Computer and Video Games magazine is probably my favourite. Rockstar is certainly getting my attention with this trickle of detail, and I hope it lives up to the potential.

A few more screens.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:44 AM   #17
Goodsport
IndyFan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
L.A. Noire is gradually coming off the QT, going on the record, and is no longer hush-hush.

Rockstar has released the first wallpaper featuring the new logo and the shadowy image of the game's lead, Cole Phelps.

They've also collected a few of the most recent impressions from various press outlets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVG
This has astounding promise - a giddily cinematic experience, housing an unflinching, surprisingly cerebral adult journey.”

The above quote from Computer and Video Games magazine is probably my favourite. Rockstar is certainly getting my attention with this trickle of detail, and I hope it lives up to the potential.

A few more screens.

Awesome info, Le Saboteur!

Thanks again.

-G
Old 01-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #18
DiscoLad
IndyFan

Thought about this thread the other day when I opened my Xbox monthly and saw a screenshot of this game of a guy getting arrested, he looked like my boss...

I suppose I'll rent this... We will see.

EDIT: Silly me, I meant to post this in the L.A. Noire thread...
How did I manage to get here? ... 0_o
Old 01-18-2011, 05:28 PM   #19
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

uggggg cant wait for this much longer and Rockstar needs to make Bully 2 already....
Old 01-18-2011, 05:35 PM   #20
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Quote:
and Rockstar needs to make Bully 2 already....

I hear ya! I bought Bully back years ago and did not expect much, but was blown away by the whole experience. That game truly deserves a sequel.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #21
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Thought about this thread the other day when I opened my Xbox monthly and saw a screenshot of this game of a guy getting arrested, he looked like my boss...

I suppose I'll rent this... We will see.

EDIT: Silly me, I meant to post this in the L.A. Noire thread...
How did I manage to get here? ... 0_o

Believe me, I'm as curious as anyone why this originally showed up in the "True Grit 2010" thread. Been taking drunk posting lessons from 'hachi?

Anyhow, a rental is fair enough. if you're not sure if you'd be into the game. I feel like the big open question will be how much of the conspicuous mayhem of other Rockstar Games will even be an option, considering the world that L.A. Noire exists in. I imagine that will prove interesting in a number of respects.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #22
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonsome_Drifter
I hear ya! I bought Bully back years ago and did not expect much, but was blown away by the whole experience. That game truly deserves a sequel.

Yup I got it in 2006 right when I was a freshman in High school and it was one of the greatest games ive ever played I'll never forgert the rumble with Johnny Vincent and his boys!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #23
The Drifter
IndyFan

Quote:
Yup I got it in 2006 right when I was a freshman in High school and it was one of the greatest games ive ever played I'll never forgert the rumble with Johnny Vincent and his boys!

I got it around early 2007. It stands up there with me as well, and I have been gaming since the Atari 2600!
I loved the story-line and just the whimsy of it all. I would love for RockStar to make part 2 soon. I want that more than any other game from them. I guess that we call always hope 'Nurch.

But, I will stop straying off-topic now before I get sent to the Banana Isles.

Last edited by The Drifter : 01-18-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #24
DiscoLad
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Believe me, I'm as curious as anyone why this originally showed up in the "True Grit 2010" thread. Been taking drunk posting lessons from 'hachi?

I don't know why on earth I posted there... Crazy....

Anyway, seeing someone say Bully II makes me want to say something.
I would love a sequel to that game, except I would hope they don't screw it up like so many have regarding sequels. ... *Cough* ToD

I heard a guy on another forum say the sequel could be how Gar returns from another school and the story goes from there. I could see it working like that.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:36 AM   #25
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonsome_Drifter
I got it around early 2007. It stands up there with me as well, and I have been gaming since the Atari 2600!
I loved the story-line and just the whimsy of it all. I would love for RockStar to make part 2 soon. I want that more than any other game from them. I guess that we call always hope 'Nurch.

But, I will stop straying off-topic now before I get sent to the Banana Isles.

Time will only tell..

But LA Noire looks so promising