Custom Made Last Crusade Biplane WIP (Hasbro Scale)

NickTurner

You're a true inspiration! I'm still working on my tank and here you are with another project going. :hat:

Always a lot of sanding putty is, but it sure gives results! You can really see it taking shape now.

Dr Bones

Looks amazing so far! (y)

My only niggles would be the nose looks a bit too broad and the tail fin curve mght be a tad too round on the inner egde?

The inner wing support struts come out from the fuselage on the movie version as opposed to the bottom wing, like you say. But if it means the thing is more secure or easier to disassemble then I say go with it.

Hard to tell from your photo but the fuselage is less round and more pannel looking at the rear.

Check out the screencaps.

http://www.theraider.net/showimage..../films/crusade/gallery/dvdscreenshots/270.jpg

http://www.theraider.net/showimage..../films/crusade/gallery/dvdscreenshots/277.jpg

http://www.theraider.net/showimage..../films/crusade/gallery/dvdscreenshots/276.jpg

Looking really good!

Can't wait until too see the gun turret and landing gear is on and the thing is finished!

Last edited:

glorbes

BIPLANE UPDATE MARCH 14th!
Made the gun turret. It?s actually a repurposed vending machine trinket dome, some styrene, and glue. Some of the parts were harvested from a similar design I made for an old model. I simply re-configured the parts and made the appropriate gun.

DSCF9434.jpg

Wings were puttied and sanded numerous times. I also added ridges to the wings. Two things: I forgot about the flaps and ailerons, and I really don?t want to screw up all of the work I?ve done to get the shape of the wing right, and next time I make a plane, the ridges need to be much narrower.

DSCF9436.jpg

The landing gear struts were constructed from styrene. It took a bit of finagling and trial and error to get them strong enough to support the weight of the model, but it ended up working better than I expected:

DSCF9441.jpg

After looking for appropriate wheels at the dollar store and the hardware store, I decided to take up the challenge of making my own wheels. The solution? Six 1/16? thick styrene disks glued together to make a ¼? thick wheel. Drill a hole through the middle, add some styrene sheet and I?ve got something that almost looks okay!

DSCF9445.jpg

Wheel sanded and painted, with components of wheel well:
DSCF9446.jpg

All together now! I will be fiddling a bit with how the landing wheels attach to the struts

DSCF9449.jpg

This is not going to be an accurate model by any means. I don?t know why I proceeded with the shape of the nose as is, since it is so inaccurate to the actual plane. That being said, it does look like a biplane, and was a real confidence builder for myself?this model has had a lot of challenging aspects thus far. What I learned from making this has really broadened my horizons in terms of what I consider possible, even if it has its flaws.

Comments and crits are welcome.

Dr Bones

I think it looks fantastic.

As for the accuracy....meh.....officially licensed products are never that accurate!

The fuselage shape looks better than the previous picture showed, therefore I withdraw my earlier comments!

Hats off to you, :hat: It's shaping up to a great model. In fact I'd be tempted to try one myself if I had the time as this clearly took some work.

Once in a while on this forum a great looking custom piece pops up to inspire us and this plane is going to be one of those IMHO.

ps...interchangable tails with and without damage would be the icing!

indyswk

Looks great!

However, just my opinoin, the wheels are too big.

The whole thing looks great in this pic:
DSCF9441.jpg

So my suggestion is that, make the wheels smaller, and it would look 90% accurate!

Dr Bones

indyswk said:
Looks great!

However, just my opinoin, the wheels are too big.

The whole thing looks great in this pic:
DSCF9441.jpg

So my suggestion is that, make the wheels smaller, and it would look 90% accurate!

Maybe a little, but they might need to be to support the weight.

Looking at the screen grabs it's hard to get the scale, but I wouldn't wory about them too much.

glorbes

For better or worse, I'm calling this done.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Biplane
DSCF9484.jpg

Whoa, this was a tricky and difficult build. The first thing I will do is say that it is NOT 100% accurate?in fact, it?s probably not 50% accurate to those who know the plane or are masters of aviation modeling. But?as a first attempt at something approximating a real plane, I am quite happy with what I managed to achieve with this build. But lord do I have room for improvement.

DSCF9465.jpg

DSCF9468.jpg

DSCF9469.jpg

The most difficult aspects of this project were the construction of the fuselage, meditating on how to make the landing gear functional and support the weight of the model, and the final paint job. A clean white, even when you?re using a spray bomb, is not easy, and I didn?t completely succeed. Add to that a bright red and some big bold lettering, and you?ve got a big pain in the arse.

DSCF9470.jpg

DSCF9475.jpg

The lighting in my basement is terrible, so my plan to shoot outdoors seemed like a sound one?except that there was this atmospheric mist in the air. I may take another crack at rigging up my ?studio? lighting to photograph this thing again.

DSCF9471.jpg

DSCF9472.jpg

DSCF9473.jpg

The finer detailed parts of this model are certainly the gun turret and the landing gear. The landing gear ended up being a mini-project on its own, really?after not snagging pre-made wheels, I ended up fashioning some of my own, and the wheel wells adopted the same approach that I used to make the rounded contours of the fuselage.

DSCF9481.jpg

DSCF9479.jpg

Some of the issues with this plane are as follows: inaccurate shape of the nose (taper should be elongated from tip to edge of bottom wing); lack of flaps/ailerons; stout length of fuselage from wing edge to tail (should be a bit longer) ; higher seat of gunner station (should be almost shoulder to shoulder placement between pilot and gunner). Despite these issues, I am genuinely surprised that this thing came out like it did?I have attempted a few times in the past to make a plane model (Ford Trimotor from Temple of Doom, the Rocketeer ?Locust?, and a vintage Batplane to name a few failed projects), but this one managed to come together in the end somehow. For that reason, I?m proud of it, and think I learned a lot from this build.
Let me know what you think, and thanks for looking.

Montana Smith

That's an incredible achievment, considering you started with raw materials. (y)

The wings are the main area that look like they could be improved, so that the edges are solid.

As you say, you'll have learnt a lot from doing this, and going by your previous model building ventures you'll no doubt have another go some time, and make it even better.

:hat:

Dr Bones

glorbes said:
...... For that reason, I?m proud of it.... I learned a lot from this build.

Rightly so, it look terrific! :hat:

You have a good grasp on where it could be improved even though I still say it looks great, therefore I am looking foward to seeing your next project. (y)

hemble

Glorbes another totally amazing piece mate and as always the craftmanship you put into these vehicles is breathtaking.

Ron