Jungle Cruise: The Movie

Le Saboteur

sotto_junglecruise.jpg

Yes, you're reading it correctly. It appears that the on again off again film version of the ride has been taken out of the dry dock once more. This time around Disney has attached Buzz Lightyear & Woody to the project -- that is to say, Tim Allen & Tom Hanks.

Entertainment Weekly and others are reporting that the two actors are set to star in the live-action movie penned by Roger S.H. Schulman, who received an Oscar nod for his work on Shrek. David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman, who produced The Fighter, will be attempting to steer this project into a theatre near you!

No director has yet been assigned to the project.

The type of movie Disney is aiming for with the casting and choice of scriptwriter doesn't exactly inspire confidence, but we can always hope that they'll do the justice to the source material. The African Queen managed to be both thrilling and funny, so let's hope they use it as their template.

I suppose now the only real question is which of the many rivers that are featured on the ride are they going to select for the film?

0707a_junglecruise.jpg

For Disney Insiders, let's hope it's Non-OG.

Last edited:

WillKill4Food

Le Saboteur said:
The type of movie Disney is aiming for with the casting and choice of scriptwriter doesn't exactly inspire confidence, but we can always hope that they'll do the justice to the source material. The African Queen managed to be both thrilling and funny, so let's hope they use it as their template.
With these two guys in the lead roles in a live-action movie, I think it will probably be neither. It sounds like Wild Hogs on water in the jungle. I would think that animation would be a better route.

What's OG? I think this film will probably be non-"original gangsta," so don't worry.

Montana Smith

WillKill4Food said:
What's OG? I think this film will probably be non-"original gangsta," so don't worry.

"Orangutan Ganja - Really strong weed that Asian Orangutans smoked with Budda" (?)

Looking at some of Disney's product this could have some significance...

Le Saboteur

WillKill4Food said:

OG stands for "Official Guidelines." Anything that involves extensive speaking with guests at Disney has a script; this could be anybody from the call-center reps, to the tour guides, to the Jungle Cruise pilots. Most people stick to the typically bland "prepared comments," i.e., the cornball jokes on the Jungle Cruise.

But every so often you'll get somebody who'll go off message and deliver a "colorful" spiel, often learning things that you normally wouldn't hear. It's a dicey proposition though, because if somebody complains the Wrath of the House of Mouse is swift and unforgiving.

In this case, I'm hoping that Jungle Cruise: The Movie will take some chances rather than becoming another...oh, Jungle 2 Jungle.

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
I suppose now the only real question is which of the many rivers that are featured on the ride are they going to select for the film?

0707a_junglecruise.jpg
Well, my question is: Will Moby Duck and his trusty, little steamer be making an appearance?:p

MobyDuck_01.jpg

Stoo

Oh, Sab. That is both hilarious & sad at the same time.:D:(

'Cuz I'm payin' the rent and I'm swallowin' my pride
And I'm workin' on The Jungle Cruise ride.
I should be there on Broadway, knockin' 'em dead in "12 Angry Men"
But instead I'm here tellin' these lame jokes again & again & again & again & again & again...

---
In any case, I'm looking forward to this movie. The subject matter is right up my alley...or, should I say, down my river.

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
.In any case, I'm looking forward to this movie. The subject matter is right up my alley...or, should I say, down my river.

Yet production has been up the creek without a proverbial paddle for nigh on four years! I assumed a while back that Disney had permanently shelved the idea in favor of other ideas, but, like the Jonny Quest movie, there's been a retooling and a new course heading. It seems that the original idea was modern day take, but now Disney wants to send it back to the attraction's action-adventure roots a la '51's The African Queen! And while he's no Bogey The Juggernaut of Stacking Knots Unstoppably has signed The Rock to star in the picture!

the-rundown-o.gif

Yes, Dwayne Johnson will possibly be your skipper, cruise director and dance instructor for six exciting days and five romantic nights! Could this new direction be the current version of The Mummy? No, not the new horror angle Universal is heading for, the Brendan Fraser one. Did you see The Rundown?* That's the kind of vibe Disney could be looking to capture.

And if you didn't see it what are you waiting for?!

aT1lqZ6.gif

In addition to Dwayne Johnson being attached to star, The Hollywood Reporter is reporting that John Requa and Glenn Ficarra have been tapped to pen the new script. The duo are perhaps best known for Bad Santa, I Love You Phillip Morris and most recently the Will Smith heist picture, Focus. No directors have been selected yet, but both writers have occupied that chair before as well.

Do you want a serious boat ride into the unknown or something closer in tone to the aforementioned The Mummy? Christopher Campbell over at Film School Rejects has a few thoughts on the matter.

• Nonstop Puns or GTFO
    A Female Lead of Equal Stature
    Pick a jungle and stick to it

The folks at Fusion (never heard of it either) are of a similar mind.

rundown11-e1330206152868.jpg

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
Yes, Dwayne Johnson will possibly be your skipper, cruise director and dance instructor for six exciting days and five romantic nights!
Oh, no! :sick: My interest has dropped dramatically.(n):(
Le Saboteur said:
Pick a jungle and stick to it
No kidding. The rides (Orlando & Paris versions) don't know where they are. Still fun, though! (y) I'm curious to see which jungle is picked for this flick.

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
Oh, no! :sick: My interest has dropped dramatically.(n):(

He'll be fine.* Didn't you see his turn as Indiana Jones?

* - I've only seen a couple of his movies, but The Rock has good comedic timing. And his action star bona fides are without question.

Stoo said:
No kidding. The rides (Orlando & Paris versions) don't know where they are. Still fun, though! (y) I'm curious to see which jungle is picked for this flick.

You rode the World Famous Jungle Cruise at the Disneyland Resort Paris?! You're going to have to tell me about it since you're the only person in the history of mankind to have ridden it.

I am also curious to see which river system is eventually picked. As I mentioned elsewhere, the Exotic is largely a question of distance. This is why the Indiana Jones Adventure in Anaheim is themed to India and the Tokyo counterpart to South America. With China poised to become the world's biggest film market in three years it'll be interesting. My immediate preferences are well known, but I'd place money on a South American location.

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
No, I did not and, unfortunately, that video isn't playable over here in the Switz. Here's hoping this new movie includes a scene where Trader Sam gets a hold of Dwayne's head and shrinks it.:D
Le Saboteur said:
You rode the World Famous Jungle Cruise at the Disneyland Resort Paris?! You're going to have to tell me about it since you're the only person in the history of mankind to have ridden it.
Holy crow.:eek: My memory of the ride is so vivid that I thought I'd been on it in Paris 7 years ago instead of 33 & 37 years ago in Orlando!
Le Saboteur said:
I am also curious to see which river system is eventually picked. As I mentioned elsewhere, the Exotic is largely a question of distance. This is why the Indiana Jones Adventure in Anaheim is themed to India and the Tokyo counterpart to South America. With China poised to become the world's biggest film market in three years it'll be interesting. My immediate preferences are well known, but I'd place money on a South American location.
My guess would be the Congo region because a "Jungle Cruise" movie just wouldn't seem complete without some African elephants. It would also be great to see some hippos, too. Lots of 'em!

Pale Horse

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:

That's so you, Le Sab.

I'd like to say that I missed you in the interim, (I was one affected by a glitch)...but that'd just be untrue.

I REALLY missed your perspective.

Z dweller

Pale Horse said:
That's so you, Le Sab.

I'd like to say that I missed you in the interim, (I was one affected by a glitch)...but that'd just be untrue.

I REALLY missed your perspective.

Agreed: Le Sab was the only ray of light during the dark days of the glitch! ;)

Le Saboteur

Bad as Sab Is said:
Did you see The Rundown?* That's the kind of vibe Disney could be looking to capture.

The Rundown is currently available on Netflix's on-demand service if'n you're curious. Otherwise, an interesting development regarding the World Famous Jungle Cruise's larger mythos has opened in Florida.

skipper-canteen-attractions-magazine-1-620x316.jpg

Ordinarily the opening of a new restaurant -- even one that's heavily indebted to the excellent Adventurer's Club in Hong Kong -- wouldn't be worth mentioning, but Imagineering has added another layer by tying it in with the S.E.A., the Society of Explorers and Adventurers. Originating in Toyko's DisneySea, the society is comprised of scholars, explorers, scientists, and others dedicated to exploring and charting new lands. A fictional version of the Explorers Club if you will.

With the addition of the Skipper's Canteen in Walt Disney World that makes... eleven attractions connected to a larger continuity. This is also the first direct connection to the Society for the American parks. With the Jungle Cruise flick expected to chart a course to the Roaring Twenties will the society make the jump to film canon? And thinking longer term, is this an avenue of development for a certain, albeit much younger doctor?

latest

Hidden behind a secret bookcase is the former meeting room of the S.E.A. -- now a second dining room.

7562269_skipper-canteen-review_t333e1710.jpg

Pale Horse

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
...[o]riginating in Toyko's DisneySea, the society is comprised of scholars, explorers, scientists, and others dedicated to exploring and charting new lands. A fictional version of the Explorers Club if you will.

Are they anything like the Vampires of Hollywood? I know you get that reference.

Le Saboteur

Pale Horse said:
Are they anything like the Vampires of Hollywood? I know you get that reference.

Well, Harry has been busy sucking the life out of the corpse that used to be his career for nearly twenty years now. He's probably almost ready for admission.

:hat:

That said, the current Vampires are more fleshed out than the Society is. In its current incarnation, it's little more than an outline that's just begging to be filled in. Sure there are a few notables -- Hudson Hightower III, Lord Henry Mystic & Albert, etc. -- but there's an enormous opportunity for a whole series of interconnected movies (and action-adventure flicks play quite well in China!).

Disney already has quite the super group in house already that can fill out the old guard:

Angelina Jolie (Lara Croft);
Brendan Fraser (Rick O'Connell);
Billy Zane (The Phantom);
Harrison Ford (as Henry Jones, Sr.);
Chow Yun Fat (Sao Feng);
Ron Ely (who I don't think has actually worked for The Mouse);
Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa (Shang Tsung).

They could mentor an entire new generation of action-adventure stars.

Kungaloosh!

Le Saboteur

0b38bddfd671b4c8c0c575252ad90ede.jpg

No news unfortunately, but here's a third of your new pulp movie universe. Imagine the crossovers!

Though, I did discover an entertaining podcast, Tales From The Jungle Crews, while browsing around for something else.

A lot of them are NSFW, but it's always entertaining to hear about the behind-the-scenes shenanigans the skippers would get up to.

Check out their collection of post episodes and radio plays and bad puns over here. Facebook over here.

Drop your drawers!

Le Saboteur

Le Saboteur said:
...indebted to the excellent Adventurer's Club in Hong Kong -- wouldn't be worth mentioning, but Imagineering has added another layer by tying it in with the S.E.A., the Society of Explorers and Adventurers.

Hey, genuis! The Explorers Club is in Hong Kong, the Adventurers Club was in Orlando. Dolt.

The Hangar Bar referencing Dr. Jones makes sense, but the integration across the properties has begun under our noses -- there are several references to Indiana Jones in the Skipper Canteen's "secret" dining room. We'll need one of our East Coast residents to take pictures, but some seem to be out there already.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZSF0VtWIAE25OP.jpg

There's a book on shelf written by Dr. Jones, The Eyes of Mara, and this video makes reference to a lecture being given by Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. There are at least three other books on the shelves I've seen, but let's see what else can be found throughout the Canteen!

Last edited by a moderator:

Plaristes

Le Saboteur said:
There's a book on shelf written by Dr. Jones, The Eyes of Mara, and this video makes reference to a lecture being given by Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. There are at least three other books on the shelves I've seen, but let's see what else can be found throughout the Canteen!
Yeah, I would love for someone to take detailed pictures of everything in Jock's Bar and the Canteen. What is the "The Eyes of Mara" book? I don't think I've heard of it before.

Le Saboteur

Plaristes said:
Yeah, I would love for someone to take detailed pictures of everything in Jock's Bar and the Canteen. What is the "The Eyes of Mara" book? I don't think I've heard of it before.

It's a prop. I don't even think you can open it. It not only serves as an Easter egg, but as cross pollination legitimizing both franchises and co-mingling them in one recognizable world.