TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones Trilogy
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-28-2011, 12:36 AM   #26
Attila the Professor
Moderator
 
Attila the Professor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 6,042
Exclamation

Cut it out, fellas. Back to Vic, not Star Wars or the usual shark baiting.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:36 AM   #27
Henry W Jones
IndyFan
 
Henry W Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey
Sharkey don't play that home slice...


Sure you don't.
Henry W Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:38 AM   #28
Sharkey
Guest
 
Sharkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In the balcony, stage right.
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Cut it out, fellas. Back to Vic, not Star Wars or the usual shark baiting.
Sorry Attila...some people bring out the worst in me.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:40 AM   #29
Henry W Jones
IndyFan
 
Henry W Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Cut it out, fellas. Back to Vic, not Star Wars or the usual shark baiting.

The Star Wars pics were just to make a point about what Vic said about CGI. Not so much to talk about Star Wars.
Henry W Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:43 AM   #30
Sharkey
Guest
 
Sharkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In the balcony, stage right.
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry W Jones
The Star Wars pics were just to make a point about what Vic said about CGI. Not so much to talk about Star Wars.
Try an Indiana Jones image. At least get a clue what your posting. Two CGI images made a point alright.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:43 AM   #31
Attila the Professor
Moderator
 
Attila the Professor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 6,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry W Jones
The Star Wars pics were just to make a point about what Vic said about CGI. Not so much to talk about Star Wars.

Yeah, but you could have made the point - which was tangential to begin with to what Vic was saying, since what he does isn't models isn't anymore than it is CGI - with some Indy photos, is all. (And Sharkey's point about the origin of the first photo, though expressed indelicately, is well taken.)

Moving right along...

It strikes me that the really interesting portion of the Armstrong interviews with regards to the merits of on-set work as opposed to CGI is this:

Quote:
THN: What is the most satisfying aspect of working as a stuntman or coordinator?

VA: The greatest fun is the creativity and originality. Every golf course is 18 holes with so many par fours and so many par threes. The lay of the land all has its own character, and I like to think of that in terms of action, let the location suggest what’s going to happen. We know what we need story-wise out of a sequence but the actual turn of events will be dictated by the location. In the end, coming up with something original is very satisfying.

Spielberg, as numerous behind-the-scenes accounts indicate, was a master at coming up with bits based on what was on set or on location. Armstrong's commentary here suggests that a stunt coordinator works the same way to a considerable extent, in concert with the director or not. The drawback of CGI shooting when it involves non-physical sets is that it takes away this part of the creative process. Obviously, stunts require a certain degree of planning anyhow, especially when there's insurance matters or things that would need to be re-set if they go wrong (as Vic expresses in the horse-tank jump anecdote), but there's still going to be some further room for inventiveness with real sets and real stunts.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:08 AM   #32
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Montana Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Spielberg, as numerous behind-the-scenes accounts indicate, was a master at coming up with bits based on what was on set or on location. Armstrong's commentary here suggests that a stunt coordinator works the same way to a considerable extent, in concert with the director or not. The drawback of CGI shooting when it involves non-physical sets is that it takes away this part of the creative process. Obviously, stunts require a certain degree of planning anyhow, especially when there's insurance matters or things that would need to be re-set if they go wrong (as Vic expresses in the horse-tank jump anecdote), but there's still going to be some further room for inventiveness with real sets and real stunts.

That really is the core issue, and the point that struck me most from Vic's words. While CGI has a rightful place in movie-making, there is a great danger that as an aid it encouarges invention to turn into silliness for spectacle-sake.

Sometimes what works best are the ideas worked out on location, and employing the location to it's full potential. Over-use of CGI can turn a movie into a cartoon involving some live-action. This, I think was the biggest downfall in KOTCS. Spectacle overpowered writing and acting.

There's no real comparison, for example, between a CGI explosion and a real explosion with stuntmen in close proximity. The former may be cheaper and safer, but the latter injects a real sense of danger. A stuntman who submits to be set alight is still a shocking image for me whenever I see it on screen.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:02 AM   #33
Rocket Surgeon
Guest
 
Rocket Surgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,884
Thanks to Halloran for the heads up!

Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 PM.