Indy's war medals

Exulted Unicron

I found a place here in the UK that sells cheap replica war medals in a slightly smaller size. I'm just wondering if anyone out there, namely guys like Stoo and co would know what medals Indy would have earned during his tenure in both wars?

I know he'd have earned the WW1 Victory Medal

Montana Smith

Exulted Unicron said:
I found a place here in the UK that sells cheap replica war medals in a slightly smaller size. I'm just wondering if anyone out there, namely guys like Stoo and co would know what medals Indy would have earned during his tenure in both wars?

For the First World War they would all be Belgian medals, wouldn't they?

Stoo

Exulted Unicron said:
I'm just wondering if anyone out there, namely guys like Stoo and co would know what medals Indy would have earned during his tenure in both wars?

Nice topic, Unicron!:hat: You’re correct about a WW1 Victory Medal.

Indy would have these two:
Belgium - Médaille Interalliée de la Victoire 1914–1918
France - Médaille Interalliée 1914–1918

I have clues & insight about other medals but they require some deeper investigation.
Montana Smith said:
For the First World War they would all be Belgian medals, wouldn't they?
Not all of them, Smiff.;) During WW1, Indy actually spent triple the time serving for France than he did for Belgium. He was under French command a couple of times, while still a Belgian soldier, and eventually switched over to the French Deuxième Bureau as a spy. (Approx. 22 months with France versus approx. 8 months under the Belgian flag.)

It’s also very possible that Indy was honoured by the British for his co-operative deeds in East Africa (“Phantom Train”) and Palestine (“Daredevils”).

---
WW2 is the tricky bit, for at least 3 reasons:

1) There are too many inconsistencies between the various reference material* for that era of Indy’s life. His WW2 activities in each source don’t blend together very well.:(

2) It’s not clear if Indy was ever enlisted in the U.S. Army and, based on what is known, I don’t think that he was at any time (though I could be wrong). A likely scenario is that he was always OSS and never a soldier, proper, during WW2.

3) The CIA has its own set of decorations, separate from the U.S. Armed Forces, but I’m not sure if this was the case at the time of the OSS. Would OSS agents receive regular, military medals or not? This would need to be determined before theorizing on what Indy could have been awarded. Does anyone have the answer?:confused:

Without knowing more details about items #2 and 3, it’s hard to say what medals he might have won.

*(“Crystal Skull”, Ultimate Guide, Lost Journal, Dark Horse comics, Hohlbein novels, Untold Adventures novels, Perry novel, etc.)

Last edited: