Marion Ravenwood

Canyon

Do you guys think that Indy and Marion should get back together in Indy 4?

I think it would be cool if maybe Indy has a love interest at first, then perhaps it doesn't work out and Indy ends up resuming his relationship with Marion.

What do you guys think?

bob

I' am pleased to see someone is actually posting on this forum again it has been a slow week.....

I personally am not in favour of Indy getting together with Marion again the film has a lot of issues to resolve with Indy and i dont see the point of ressurecting her so she can do exactly the same as she did in Raiders or for there to be an ultra-cheesey marraige montage at the end. Also seeing Marion again would not mean much to most people who will actually see the film. I may be being a little ageist but you need someone young to be Indys love interest if it has been in the template shown by Willy/Elsa/Marion.

I dont see Marion giving Indy a third chance i mean he deserted her in 20's, then presumably in 36. However my bet is on Marion having Indys child maybe back from the 20's....

Gregoire Defence

I like Marion, but I do not really want them to get back together.
Well, I really have no objectons.
Indy's baby girl, needs a momma:D

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Forgive me for ranting, but...

NO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOO!

Sorry about that, but the fact is, I was reading a bunch of the Marvel Indy comics last night, and they show me one thing that I already knew, and just support it further. Marion and Indy do not belong together! They have nothing in common I tell you, nothing, except perhaps a common role model in Abner. People make too big a deal over the Ravenwoods! Fedora is not Abner - Abner is not a grave robber, the University of Chicago never would have let him teach there if he ever was (they wouldn't let Indy teach there because of the Founding Fathers Day incident). By extension, it is illogical for Marion to be that important. Alright, so she's the first. Fact is, all the good Indy girls are redheads - Sophia, Alecia, Diedre, Gale, Nancy Stratemeyer. There's no way they had a lasting relationship. Implausible.

Indy Canuck

Well, I don't know, Atilla, if the reaction need be THAT harsh, but to keep in tune with the Spirit of Indy, we need something DIFFERENT. The three movies aspired to be different from each other, why make the fourth a cheesy self-referring fanatic-pleasing sequel?

The universe of Indy is not the Universe of Star Wars. Not everyone is related, not everybody knows everybody. We need a different adventure, we need a different plot, and we need different characters.

Indy is supposed to keep on truckn'. I don't see the guy EVER really being tied down. As much as he tries, he can't seem to escape his nature: things happen to him, he just keeps trudging through it.

bob

Could someone tell me what is supposed to be so special about Marion that she deserves to be dragged all the way through another adventure, i found her a little annoying in Raiders to be honest. True she does have a link with Indys past but on that logic any of the girls he has met and had a relationship with from 1914 onwards deserves to be in it..... i think marions story has been told her role in Indy IV would give her a prominance that the status of Indy girl simply could not accomodate and would compliacte the film too much.

monkey

Should Marion come back?

It all depends on what kind of movie you want.

From reading all of the posts on this forum I get the feel that there is quite a number of diverse viewpoints on what kind of movie people want.

There's like a range that goes all the way from "sentimental, Sappy, vehicle for a re-union of the old cast members"........all the way to "New actor playing Indiana Jones with all new cast members and fresh plot ideas."

I don't know, find your place in this range, and then ask yourself 'Could Marion fit?' and more importantly 'Do we need her?'.

Whipper

It's too easy to just invent a new leading-lady character with Marion-ish qualities for a beautiful new Indy Girl actress if they want that. Indy goes thru women much like Bond...a new fabulous babe for each film. (And of course the Young Indy Chronicles were no different in that regard...there was an abundance of quality hotties.)

To bring Karen Allen back as the leading lady goes against the general Hollywood grain...the double-standard is that cool old dudes like Connery and Ford in big pictures still get the young lady costars--not bimbettes, mind you, but glamourous women in their late 20s to late 30s Prime. I have no idea how old Karen would be now, and I haven't seen her in some time, but I doubt she's as cute as she was 20 years ago, and she's also not married to Steven Spielberg. Marion is a cameo at Best, along with Willie for certain, IF there are going to Be such old-flame cameos for auld lang syne's sake.

Canyon

Woah! I didn't expect to get quite that reaction but upon reading your posts, I get where you're coming from.

Please understand, I don't want to see some cheesy marriage/reunion etc, where everyone knows everyone else. I have just always been of the opinion that Indy and Marion were very well suited for each other and I would at least like her to be mentioned in the next film, even if it is a cameo similar to Willie Scott's.

See my post on the following thread: http://www.theraider.net/theraven/showthread.php?threadid=3152

thefumegator

Indy Canuck said:
Indy is supposed to keep on truckin'... things happen to him, he just keeps trudging through it.

That defines the character of Indiana Jones so perfectly that adding to it would serve no purpose.

Cheers,
;) Wes :D

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Hmmm, an interesting question, that begs others:
What would happen if Marion and Willie showed up to Indy's wedding? What would happen if Marion and Willie showed up to Indy's wedding with his kids? What would happen if Marion and Willie showed up to Indy's wedding with his kids and then leave them with him?

00Kevin

Indyfan
well, I would hope marion would be back in indy 4, but we probubly arn't that lucky, as long as george doesn't listen to Aaron, I think I'll be happy :D

bob

Aaron H said:
What would happen if Marion and Willie showed up to Indy's wedding? What would happen if Marion and Willie showed up to Indy's wedding with his kids? What would happen if Marion and Willie showed up to Indy's wedding with his kids and then leave them with him?

a flop

Marion's got Moxie...

...bring her back and forget the bimbo-of-the-month.

"The Thin Man" did just fine with a male and female team as did a hundred or so other book series, movies, and TV shows.

She's got the right stuff. Forget the novels produced factory-style by a whole bunch of different guys under the same pseudonym, they establish absolutely no precedent. The movie continuity is the only thing that dictates.

Marion had Moxie.

There are alot of pretty faces out there, but how many will cover your back with a frying pan?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Re: Marion's got Moxie...

Broomhandle Davis said:
...bring her back and forget the bimbo-of-the-month.

"The Thin Man" did just fine with a male and female team as did a hundred or so other book series, movies, and TV shows.

She's got the right stuff. Forget the novels produced factory-style by a whole bunch of different guys under the same pseudonym, they establish absolutely no precedent. The movie continuity is the only thing that dictates.

Marion had Moxie.

There are alot of pretty faces out there, but how many will cover your back with a frying pan?

The Thin Man! Now I have nothing against The Thin Man series, enjoyable characters and all, but there is no comparison to be made - Indy hearkens back to characters like, to use another Dashiel Hammett character, Sam Spade, with another woman every time - you didn't see him going on more cases with Mary Astor or his secretary or his partner's wife, did you? You say the movie continuity is the only thing that dictates, are we only counting Raiders here, because we have no mention whatsoever of Marion in Temple of Doom and Last Crusade. Besides, I doubt Indy had very much tolerance for hard-drinking, bad-tempered, bar-running, back-stabbing Miss Ravenwood (no offense of course, Willie and Elsa had one each of these as well, and one was a Nazi and the other sang in a nightclub), daughter of a somewhat significant figure in his life.

Besides, Raiders of the Lost Ark does not need to be worshipped in Indy IV.