Why should there be an Indy IV?

bob

'allo

Back in the old days (before proper announcements) there were many arguements about whether there should be an Indy IV at all; now that Indy IV is a near certainty i think this is as good a time as any to see why we want this movie at all...

Is it....
- To just get another slice of Indy action
- To see character development
- To see Soviets/Chinaese/Americans/Belgians/Eskimos shot to pieces by Indy
- To see how Indy will react to an era in which he is an anarcronism
- Or do you not even think there should be Indy IV

monkey

Good one Bob.

I wouldn't mind at all if they didn't make it.

Then again the thought of watching Indy wading through a peaceful Eskimo village with automatic weapons blazing wreaking bloody carnage, well....hmmmm.....

Seriously though. I've stated many times that if you use Harrison Ford, then you're automatically locked in to a whole bunch of circumstances that can not be changed.

He WILL be old

It WILL be set in the 1950's

There CAN'T be Nazis

Therefore you MUST put some new ingredients into it that the original movies didn't need.

It WILL be very different. So if you're ready for that then OK.

Personally I'm tired of all the hype. I couldn't care less if they make it or not, and kind of lean towards not wanting it made.

Canyon

Sorry to go of topic, but...

Hey Monkey! You're back. How are you? (Hope the move went well!) :D

wolfgang

Well, I persoanlly want it for a few reasons, the other slice of indy's action (#1), to bring the character again to people who remember him, so I can watch a brand new different adventure, and so I can finally see him on the big screen...never had since I am form, well....another generation.

00Kevin

Indyfan
Why should there be an Indy IV?

why not?

if adventure has a name, it must be indiana jones.....we need to teach this to the incoming generations

the greatest action series ever, the best adventure films of them all, great story, lines, plot, artifacts, moments, heroes and villians

I say again, why not? the man in the hat SHOULD be back.

Adventurer

Yeah. He should. But at any cost? Imho, this is the best trilogy ever made until now, but it is very, very simple to "ruin" the whole thing.
The third part has a perfect ending, and a perfect title for a last chapter.

It wouldn´t be the first time that a great series would get a medicore last chapter because of the director, the actor(s) and the producer try too hard to make it perfect. It can even happen to the best of them.

But the above requires the concept that people care about the films as a trilogy. This doesn´t matter to some people, so there should be no problem to do a fourth, seen from that angle. (come to think about it, what is it that makes the "three" such a magical number? Isn´t that total nonsense? What about a Quadrology? :))

bob

I think that from my point of view LC ended the classic Indy saga perfectly, he had made up with his Father which if we follow the YIJ to be (a proper) part of the saga is the key antagonism to him; it had made him into what he was in the 30's. Now that is ended and he is emotionally healed (i know it is corny) he defeats the Nazis attempt to get the most Indy esqe artifact in the whole series, and he rides off with his supporting cast one of whom is already dead.

Indy IV due to those reasons and due to time will have to sit outside the trilogy....

If it is done right then the story can not be just a tacked on addition to the series set in an era that is not familiar to Indy; this could be made interesting but i think that Indy IV will have to aspire to actually adress these issues rather than just continuing unaware of its new setting

But if we are just going to be given just ANOTHER Raiders sequel (not that it is bad thing, but time and setting will disadvantage this movie); it will be difficult for it to live upto the already high expectations of general movie fans let alone Indy fans.

monkey

To go OT for just a quick moment. Thanks Canyon.

OK, I have a question: can anyone think of a similar situation in movie making history? Has there ever been a successful (or even unsuccessfull) movie trilogy that they tried to make a fourth installment of 16 or 17 years later with basically the same actors?

I think this is kind of a unique thing. There's really nothing to compare it to. So they're moving into uncharted territory.

I don't know, I have my doubts.

00Kevin

Indyfan
monkey, are you drunk?

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but such films are coming out by the hand ful now

after a few years with no film, and points of almost losing popularity, the series is revived for at least 1 more go........

james bond: 89-95 new film: success
SW: 83-99 new film: well, they did well at the box office, but do not match up to the origonals.....yet ;)
godfather: I don't even know, 60's-90 or so new film:not seen 2 nor 3, but I hear the 3rd isn't half as good as the others

more soon: Die Hard, there were rumors for BTTF, now debunked

this concept of bringing back old films from the 80s and giving them 1 more show in the 90's/2000's.....becoming VERY popular

monkey

How'd you know I was drunk? Do you have a breathalyzer on your monitor?

OK, I stand corrected. And the films you mention have been successful.

But did they use the same lead character(s)?

I'd love to see another BTTF.

wolfgang

BTTF? what does it satands for? anyway, indy IV won't "ruin" the triology. If it is a bad movie, and I am convinced it won't be, I'll just keep considering indy a trilogy!

00Kevin

Indyfan
in response to what monkey said:

well....

James Bond: okay, you have me here, they had desmond, but no one else. If Timothy Dalton stayed, then that would probubly be at least 3 more people (bond, M, moneypenny)

SW-a few, yoda, R2 and 3PO were played by the same people

Godfather-yeah, a couple....

DH-well, not many reoccuring roles, other then willis as McClane, there were 3 who were in both 1 and 2, but no one else was in more then 1. So I doubt they will have anyone

and besides, indy's not really ganna have many. Harrison Ford, SC, and John R-D, Karen and Kate may have cameos. so really, it's not much there either

and BTTF stands for 'Back to the Future'

[Edited by 00Kevin on 07-05-2003 at 10:40 pm]

wolfgang

Thank for the BTTF thing Kev. And I jsut wanted to say my opinion on this "have anyone ever known a series of movies that the next one has been good if its made 16 years later" thing. Well, I would say Escape from L.A. which was the sequel to Escape from New York and it was made16 years alter, but I seem to be one of the few people that liked it so I can't really say it was good. So, then, lets say indy IV came out, it was very good, satisfacttory to us fans. Now, lets say Die Hard fans are worried a fourth film won't work, but then the'll say "WAIT! it worked for indy? why can't it work for Jhon?" My point is, if there are no good 16 years after movies,then why can't indy be the first good one? I hope my opinion is clear...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I'm probably just echoing monkey and bob's thoughts here, but as fun as it would be to see Indy IV, things are so different from the trilogy, which itself ended so perfectly with LC, that Indy IV will have to considerably change from the previous films - I'm talking character development, particularly with Indy as an anachronism.

There probably shouldn't be an Indy IV, I think.

wolfgang

Okay, so Last Crusade was a perfect ending...so what? big deal. I myself agree with it. But, you know, okay then make it the perfect end for the adult indy series...hmm...Okay, I can not say anything that would contradict that Last Crusade was the best ending, but what if this happens? The same ending with different characters OR something similar, like indy kissing with the girl at sunset?

00Kevin

Indyfan
LOL! that was geat! I hope I don't see at phillipi (SP?)

hey, that's great! both of us would read JC this past year, smashing..........(knowing you, you probubly already had)

00Kevin

Indyfan
Attila the Professor said:
00Kevin said:
NOOOO!!! *stabs attila* well, really, they can't beat the LC ending

Et tu, Kevin? Then fall Attila...

Aw, I couldn't resist.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! NOW WHAT FINN!!!!! ATTILA ISN'T THAT ANGLE ANYMORE IS HE HUH?

HE TOOK THIS THREAD OF TOPIC!!!!!! :p

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Yes, yes, guilty as framed.

But men may construe things after their fashion, far from the purpose of the things themselves...the lesson? Don't read too much into Indy IV rumours. ;)