INDY 4 chases and booby traps

Tennessee Buck

Just wondering: what would be a welcome addition to the Indiana Jones series inasfar as booby traps and chase sequences for the upcoming Indy film? We have seen bottomless pits, poisonous darts, collapsing temples, room of spikes, revolving doors, and so on. As for chase sequences, we have had trucks, planes, rafts, zeppelins, tanks, horses, boats, motorcycles, mine carts, etc. What would be new and exciting for an Indiana Jones film (provided there is action in the new film), considering we are dealing with a different era and more advanced weapons and modes of transportation (though I can't see Indy flying a B-52 fighter jet or something akin to that). I personally have no new ideas, though as far as booby traps, maybe something like the pendulum or a saw of some kind where our hero is strapped to some bed. Who knows.

It also reminds me a little of ToD, the wall squishing thing.

I've always thought some kind of room flooding with water or something would be good. When I saw the sand drowning sequence in the '94 remake of "The Jungle Book," I instantly thought of Indiana Jones.

Venture

apalehorse said:
A flood concept would work in the "Eden" plot....

Thanatos, always advocating. Quicksand would be nice. For a stunt, how about a plane-to-plane mid-air jump? "We have the technology..."

wolfgang

I just LOVE the quicksand idea! AWSOME! very indy-like stuff. I thight of having him locked on a room, where teh walls are full of little holes...from it comes ice cold water that can cut him!!! wow, but that quicksand idea was the BEST! I'll like to see indy in an adventure that takes place mainly on the jungle...SWEET!

Tennessee Buck

Quicksand is a nifty idea - I remember that in the comics with Marion and Indy trapped in quicksand, or almost trapped. How about a fiery opening in the earth where he is strapped to the female lead while being descended! Or being suspended from a high-rise building while being shot at? I don't know...not easy to find new ideas.

bob

I dunno about quicksand as it really lacks the relative orginality (i.e. they hadnt been seen 1000 times before by modern audience) Quick Sand is a cliche everyone has seen and i really cant see a particularly interesting variation on Quicksand, Vine just out of reach.....

Attila the Professor

Staff member
bob said:
I dunno about quicksand as it really lacks the relative orginality (i.e. they hadnt been seen 1000 times before by modern audience) Quick Sand is a cliche everyone has seen and i really cant see a particularly interesting variation on Quicksand, Vine just out of reach.....

Yes, that was mentioned before, and I suppose you may be right.

By the way, is quicksand scientifically accurate, in any way, shape, or form?

wolfgang

Well, how about him falling on a deep hole that is indeed a slide and a lot of pebbles a following him....I dunno, it REALLY is hard to find ideas...

bob

Attila the Professor said:
By the way, is quicksand scientifically accurate, in any way, shape, or form? [/B]

Yes it is real i have in a survival book information on how to escape a quicksand pit (with the aid of a stick)

wolfgang

How about thsi?? He goes into a cave, he must find the last female of a species that is about to extinct, he must go through quicksand, a few snakes, a few otehr booby traps, and the room where the animal is starts flooding. He gets the animal and escapes as always. Then when he gets outside, he is walking normally and all of the sudden he gets trapped on a net that was lying on the ground. The bad guy takes the animal and gets the credit and run and leaves Indy there with a few guards. Indy escapes, fights the guards and runs away...then he shows uo on the university...I dunno, im sor of making a story here with the same Raiders formula...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
wolfgang said:
How about thsi?? He goes into a cave, he must find the last female of a species that is about to extinct, he must go through quicksand, a few snakes, a few otehr booby traps, and the room where the animal is starts flooding. He gets the animal and escapes as always. Then when he gets outside, he is walking normally and all of the sudden he gets trapped on a net that was lying on the ground. The bad guy takes the animal and gets the credit and run and leaves Indy there with a few guards. Indy escapes, fights the guards and runs away...then he shows uo on the university...I dunno, im sor of making a story here with the same Raiders formula...

Interesting, but is it really like Indy (or any archaeologist) to go after an animal?

Pale Horse

Staff member
Some kind of outer space death ray? THe movies of the 40's had a ton of 'em. Even "goldfinger" paid homage to it. I know it's farfetched, but how could we make it work?

monkey

Thank you kindly. I have just scribbled it into my well worn, bent up, torn and dog eared "Indiana Jones Idea Notebook". It's a great idea and should be used.

I'll try to use it wisely in my next Indy novel. My current novel "IJ and the Secret of Nan Madol" (another shameless plug here)is already mapped out, but I plan on a second, and your idea is great.

Thanks again

By the way, (sorry to go OT a little but...)I believe that there is a chance that part 4 of IJ and the Secret of NM will be coming soon to a Indy web site near you......, really near,.....well, this one actually,...hopefully.

But seriously Cain, I don't know if you're a writer or not but that was a really good idea.

Venture

I'm currently plotting my first. Nothing concrete yet, but I'll keep you personally posted.

And you're more than welcome.