The emotional heart of Indy IV

bob

'allo

It seems there has been another cull and this has hit the Indy IV forum bad, but we were having a really good discussion this topic last time, so shall we continue?

00Kevin

Indyfan
well to refresh everyone's memory

every indy film has at least 1 relationship:

raider-the 'lover' marion

Temple-the sidekick, kinda like a son roll: shorty
(and willie)

LC-Father in Henry
(also elsa)

as for a son or daughter in indy 4....in my opinion.......no way! I say have a strong female lead who gets the attention.....let's make her a mysterious one ~_~

monkey

Hey, what happened to this thread?

I left for a few days, come back, and it's gone. There were some good discussions.

Anyway, OK, here's one for you: What about Indy's Mom? Who was she anyway? The only thing I know is that she is dead.

Couldn't she be the emotional focus of the film? And she wouldn't necessarily need to be alive to be the emotional focus. There are many ways that his relationship with his mom could be utilized.

00Kevin

Indyfan
Anna Jones died of Scarlett Fever in May of 1912

this has never been touched upon, no post-1912 adventures ever have much mention of Anna as far as I remember...LC has 5 seconds at the fork in the road.......and there may be a mention in the bookends of travles with father, never seen it, and yes, I know it's not called 'Travels with Mother'

a good Idea, but not one that can easily fit into a good plot

mabey a small scene in the begining or something....perhaps indy visits her tombstone...or a previous adventure like in LC

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Best thread I've had in a long time, this was...I might retype some of the ideas at some point, but the basic idea was that Indy is seeking redemption.

Venture

Attila the Professor said:
Best thread I've had in a long time, this was...I might retype some of the ideas at some point, but the basic idea was that Indy is seeking redemption.

I favor that, as long as it isn't overblown. In the trilogy, it doesn't seem that Indy is headed for cynicism. Quite to the contrary, in fact. What exactly, good Professor, does he need redemption from?

bob

I think that Indy IV really needs to gear away from the whole father-son thing and bring something new to the mix.

The most logical thing of course would be a child and however soapish it may be and however put off i was by the 'dont knok it' thread i quite like the idea of Indy having a daughter it would give the movie a light fun tone but different from the trilogy and also providing a different type of female lead.

But my personal belief is that Indy will need to be redeemed in some way, i feel that in order for there to be an Indy IV there needs to be something wrong with his character (forgive the phrasing), Indy IV should be about him trying to find meaning in his life after his days of high adventure; i would like to see the character of Indy brought down to some sort of (not to serious) physcological reality so that we can finally see the chracter of Henry Jr 'Indiana' Jones lain bare once and for all if this is to be the end.

That is what i want to see as the heart of the movie and i dont care through what mechanicism they achive this whether it is through strife, children, or trained monkey the light Indy or Indy noir.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Cain said:
Attila the Professor said:

I favor that, as long as it isn't overblown. In the trilogy, it doesn't seem that Indy is headed for cynicism. Quite to the contrary, in fact. What exactly, good Professor, does he need redemption from?

You'd have to ask him, really. I can only speculate. From my perspective, I'd say he's done all right, except for killing some hundreds of people and the whole greed thing and all...but he would think he'd done nothing worthwhile. He has this conflict in his mind because he goes after a bunch of artifacts, he's killed a bunch of people, he's come face-to-face with the divine...and to what end? What good has it been? Very little, it will seem to him, even if he has "saved the world" a few times. And I am convinced that the changing era, i.e. communism, McCarthy, the Cold War, nuclear weapons, etc. will really affect him in some big ways. It's that great meaty stuff that good end-of-an-era stories come from. It can be great. Believe me, action types confronted with their life can be really rather fascinating.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
i agree with most of what you say but we have to remind ourselves that beside indy`s character examinations there has to be space for the "indy at an adventure" spirit.

i don`t think that indy`s character can be lain bare as bob said without his passion for archeology and adventure.
i see that his other or REAL meaning of life should be lain bare but not without the little connection to archeology. wouldn`t it be some kind of a **** take if we learn in the last installment that archeology or adventure shouldn`t play a role in the life of indiana jones?
...just some to think about...

monkey

Trained Monkey?

Trained Monkey? What are you trying to say Bob?

As for the idea of an Indiana Jones movie WITHOUT archaeology? Unthinkable!! Impossible!!

But I don't think anyone has suggested that.

Instead, I think what everyone seems to believe is that this film can not be just another Indy adventure. That's just not possible.

Jones' age, the era of the 50's, etc., there's got to be something else on a deeper level in this movie to make it really work.

But that DOES NOT mean it will stray from archaeology, or adventure, or action, or intrigue, or.....

A standard movie's got 120 minutes or so to work with. There's plenty of room for everything this film needs to succeed.

Randy_Flagg

Renderking Fisk said:

I just want to see once more the rugged individual that we saw in Raiders. Just ONE last time.

Indy from Raiders was the coolest. He got a bit tamer after that, didn't he? Instead of the rugged, mysterious adventure, he became the fun uncle we all like to hang out with. I'd like to see that more mysterious version of Indy again, but with enough humour surrounding it so that it's still a fun movie. I mean, even though Indy was a darker character at the start of Raiders, the movie was still all about fun. Can't have an Indy movie without good doses of humor... just wouldn't be right!

bob

Randy_Flagg said:
Renderking Fisk said:

I just want to see once more the rugged individual that we saw in Raiders. Just ONE last time.

I sympathise but can it happen? I think that the character of Raiders was destroyed forever to create Indy in LC. People will demand that Indy IV be a sequel to LC in a sense and that Indy be a deviation from the LC character.

We know too much about Indy for him to go back to Raiders, we have seen his whole life, we know all of his secrets; there is no mystery left

Or am i wrong?

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
If as long as Lucas ignores the YIJC then everything will be okay.

Really the "change" to "uncle" that came over Indy didn't happen in LC but in ToD, LC was just a continuation of the ToD Indy.

Venture

I feel that the trilogy has been a steady path of redemption. From the dark adventurer to the "favorite uncle" (great analogy, Flagg), Indy has evolved from bitter to at least hopeful. I favor a more "phoenix-from-the-ashes" type movie, a nod to the fact that this particular old dog doesn't need new tricks. I think the old man still has enough juice in him to put the whipper-snappers to shame, and this movie could be his realization of that. If it's to be the last movie, and I have no doubt of that, let it be the Indy we've grown to love and who has grown with us.

monkey

They have cheerleaders in Montana?

Why didn't you use whipped cream? That's what the Cali cheerleaders like.

(Only four?)

Anyway,..

.........I agree totally with the idea of returning a more mysterious tone to the character of Indiana Jones.

Remember the very, very first scene in Raiders? By the river? the guy with the pistol? and the whip that Jones uses to knock the gun out of his hand?

Yeah, that's the guy.

I mean......the scene with him and Dad strapped to the chair in LC was funny and entertaining, but I prefer the Raiders' version of the character.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Rendering Fisk
Before the cull, I said that if they really wanted to do this right? they would make this about as dark as you can get it. I mean darker then Dove Bars, Darker then the coldest regions of my black heart.

This is what redemption is all about. Truth is we are all this dark, only a few of us realize this and truely change. That is what drama is all about.

Venture

Renderking Fisk said:
Cain said:
There are times, Renderking, when I admire you. Other times you just scare me.

When have you ever admired me?

I admire anyone who can be unabashedly opinionated and at the same time not want to offend. It's a thin line that I've seen you walk in this and other forums, and my hat's off to you.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
apalehorse said:
Rendering Fisk
Before the cull, I said that if they really wanted to do this right? they would make this about as dark as you can get it. I mean darker then Dove Bars, Darker then the coldest regions of my black heart.

This is what redemption is all about. Truth is we are all this dark, only a few of us realize this and truely change. That is what drama is all about.

Give the man a cigar...

You see, I think it could be intriguinging if Indy exaggerates his own "level of darkness," as it were. In other words, he's seeking a helluva lot more redemption than he really needs. He's not that bad a guy (sure, he's still somewhat a bad guy), but he just thinks that he is.

It is true though. Few people realize how dark they really can be. Few people realize how dark everybody is. Even those that seem to be the best of folk have a dark side, quietly repressed, perhaps, but still, a dark side.

But I digress.