The (Amazing) Return of Henry Jones

bob

'allo

One of the few pieces of information to drip out recently is the confirmation of Henry Jones's return, what role should he have?

- Full Fledged Sidekick (This would turn the Indy series for me too much into a buddy movie, and also by the 50's Henry would be 80+)

- Sacrifical Lamb (Henry seems to be a character that cries out to be killed off and it would also act as a great catalyst for Indy to go on another adventure on his last great project, which would point towards another arthurian mythic artifact like the Spear of Destiny)

- Cameo (If Willy and Marion are intended to return then Henry must as well, but i think to throw in Henry for just a cameo would be a waste of the character)

In the Saucerman script if i remember rightly Henry just returns for Indys wedding.
I personally cannot imagine Indy and Henry getting along well for too long so i doubt the appearacne of Henry will just be for Indy to drop in...but the return of Henry does give an idea of an emotional side to the movie, as it would give Indy someone to speak to, something that we have rarely seen in the series.

monkey

As an actor I think Sean Connery is great.

That said, I must be honest and say that I never cared much for the character of Henry Jones Sr.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I've got to be honest. I just never liked the character. I never thought it fit. I never really thought that Indiana Jones needed a father. But again, I know that he's quite a favorite, and that I'm in the minority. Anyway,....

Frankly I'd be disappointed if Henry Sr. returns for any major role in Indy IV. Connery is the type of actor who can dominate a film without even trying.

I think Indy IV should focus more on Indiana Jones, not Henry Jones Sr.

Finn

Staff member
What about giving Henry a role that could be compared with the one Marcus had in Raiders? (We all know he had more screen time in LC.) I think that would go pretty well this time.

raydelark

How about a short scene where Indy hurries in to see his aging father, who is still alert and following his passion for historic research. Henry Sr. is likeable, yet still not outwardly emotional towards his son. Indy asks about an item in his father's library that could hold a clue in his next adventure. It could be something that is meaningful to Sr. in an entirely different way than it is to Indy: Revered by Henry Sr. and more of a means to an end by Indy. The resulting miscommunication is once again frustrating to Indy but comical to the audience. You're left with the feeling that their relationship hasn't changed. Indy will always have a respectful love for his dad. ;)

bob

Finn said:
What about giving Henry a role that could be compared with the one Marcus had in Raiders? (We all know he had more screen time in LC.) I think that would go pretty well this time.

I can definately see where you are coming from as the departure of Marcus does leave a gap but i dont think that Connery really acts at the right tempo to be subtle letting Ford dominate a scene...

For me Henry has to have a role that is more than just a cameo he needs to fit into a niche but i think it will be unique.

I am actually hoping for Henry to be killed off, it would give the series some reality and a sense of time which will be needed to reaclimatise the series into the 50's, as well as stopping people being dissapointed at his non-appearance in the rest of the film.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
maybe he could visit his father the last time because it`s clear he`ll die soon....or something like that......

Attila the Professor

Staff member
torao said:

maybe he could visit his father the last time because it`s clear he`ll die soon....or something like that......

Not a bad idea...reminds me of the scene in Cool Hand Luke with Arletta (Luke's mother).

Pale Horse

Staff member
*sorry for my unavailability

You know, what might make for an interesting view of Henry, would be for him to have a voice over role of his view of his sons latest adventure. I am not feeling eloquent today so I will just put it like this

The Morgan Freeman "Red" character in Shawshank redemption.

(It is Darabonts best work)

HovitosKing

Back to the original post, I think Connery should make an appearance more than a cameo, but less than a sidekick. I do not think, under any circumstances, that he should be killed off. He should have several brief, but important, appearances.

Venture

The Brody-esque role sounds good to me. Connery may be overpowering in many roles, but let's give Ford some credit. The two worked together wonderfully in LC, playing off of each other in a way I've never seen Connery work before. He practically stole Highlander, but Christopher Lambert isn't exactly Harrison Ford. I'm all for Henry, Sr., being the resource on the homefront.

bob

Renderking Fisk said:

Again, this is more baggage that?s just dragging Jones down. We fans are expecting a long laundry list of ?cool stuff? to be crammed in the script that?s just not going to fit.

If you're just going have Sean in the flick just to have him in the flick, it's gonna drag the plot down.

Well to be honest as much as we try to justify matters the Indy films are about fun and Indy IV will have a large componant of nostalgia for the trilogy i expect.

We know that only Marion is making an appearance, no Sallah and no Marcus. The audience will want Henry

I don't think Henry should have a huge part in the film, of course not as big as his role in LC. Like i don't think he should accompany indy on this adventure. instead, maybe indy should just visit henry in the beginning and henry could wish him luck and give him some advice about his journey, etc.

I think it would be interesting also if Henry died during the film. We wouldn't have to see him die, but i think it would be cool if indy received the news about his death while on his adventure or something. He could be all obsessed with finding his latest artifact, but then his dad's death would help him put everything in perspective.
I think that would be pretty cool.

Maj. Eaton

Must I remind you that Professor Henry Jones Sr. focused his entire life around the Grail, how possibly do you think, that at his age, he would be involved with anything else? I assure you his absense will not be missed. If it wasn't for his son, we would have never found their head-quarters in the Brunwald castle.

Joe Brody

Attila the Professor said:
torao said:

Not a bad idea...reminds me of the scene in Cool Hand Luke with Arletta (Luke's mother).

Attila, next to the road-work scenes, that's the best scene in 'Cool Hand Luke'. We'll never see a scene dropped into a movie like that again.

. . .oh, I don't want to see Henry in Indy IV.

philhos

Renderking Fisk said:
~Waits for Maj. Eaton to drop dead.~

There's a time and place for everything... this is nither the place or the time for "RPG". I don't have time for your Bullshitte.

Bullshitte? How do you pronounce that? Does it rhyme with kite? Light? Transvestite? Blatherskite? :)

Although I agree with you, Ren, Maj. Eaton is incredibly annoying.

Doc Savage

How many amazing returns can one movie (or forum) hold? Give Henry, Sr., a bit at the beginning and a bit at the end in the vein of a mentor, but let Indy play the lone wolf out on the field. Contacts and love interests aside, he is the hero here. And at his age (Indy's and Ford's), the less distraction the better.

bob

I really cannot believe that i posted so many threads with the title of the 'amazing return'! and that then someone would actually go looking for them.