Indy should DIE at the end of the 4th movie

DST

That way, no other actor other than Ford could play him. What made Indy such a great hero was that he was still human. He had fears. After a long day of beating up Nazis, he would be sore and bruised. This added to the realism.

So why not have him die.

Ok you probably all disagree with me, but im just throwing an idea out there.....

If Indiana Jones had to die at the end of the 4th movie, how would you do it? How would you have him die? What does him in?

discuss~

Webley

An old man at home in his bed.
I love Indy so when he dies I hop he dos not die in pane.

That gos the same for all of you guys to now dont you go dieing on me.

[Edited by Webley on 01-26-2004 at 02:23 am]

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
Hm?.
Getting bruised in a fight is one thing? dying? that's another.

Well, I don't think it be such a great idea to have him die in the 4th movie.
Unless it adds something to the story and the 'legend'? and I doubt that.

And it sure as hell isn't going to stop anyone from not making another film.
If they are determined to make more movies, but without HF, they'll just take some other actor and make a prequel, or something.
But I don't think they will do that.
At least not for a long time.

But? if he must die in the 4th? I think it should happen during a fight, protecting a relic or something else of great value.
Maybe? a fight with his enemy.. the enemy dies.. IJ get's badly wounded.. but before dying he's able to get the relic to the place it belongs.. so he can ( somewhat ) rest in peace.

Randy_Flagg

The problem is that it wouldn't really keep the continuity with the Young Indy Chronicles since we see him as an old man in those. But then again, the Young Indy didn't seem to keep much continuity with the movies anyway (he seemed like a completely different character), so I guess that doesn't matter much. I might be okay with them killing Indy, depending on how it's done.

monkey

Die? No.

Disappear? Maybe.

Kind of like Captain Nemo, who disappeared, and then reappeared years later on Mysterious Island.

Pale Horse

Staff member
I don't need to see him die. I do think it would be a great tribute to Citizen Kane, with a long crane shot pulling back slowly as an old Indy looks over his life and realizes his career was in ruins.

IndyBlues

Renderking Fisk said:
Leaving Jones just as we found him... heading deeper into the jungle looking for the next big artifact is the best way to say good-bye.

That would be an awesome idea, Fisk, Great way to bookend the entire series of films. Granted have the movie end in a fantastic story, and have an epilogue scene with Indy Raiding another Idol, in another temple, and show him escaping whatever natives, and flying off into the sunset with his old bush pilot,Jock. Roll credits.

Indy Jones Jr.

I also don't like the idea of Indy diying...

Reason #1: There are lots of novels that are set after the films + it wouldn't match with the Young Indy Adventures (as mentioned by Randy_Flagg)...

Reason #2: It would totally suck! :D

It should be an end like in "Emperor's Tomb" (the pc-game),
when that asian dude (the waiter who gets shot in Temple of Doom) comes to Indy and remembers him they still got to find the Nurhachi for Lao Che...

What I mean is that the movie should end with Indy heading into a new adventure...

But I agree that there shouldn't be any more movies, well ...except Ford plays Indy ... ;)

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
I like several ideas
1) Indy setting off on another adventure (like what Ren and Blues said)
2) There is no way for Indy to make it out alive, and all the characters think he is dead...then after the credits we see something that could imply that he is alive.
3) Indy teaching in a classroom, and while he is talking he starts thinking about all the adventure there is to be had and leaves the classroom.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Aaron H said:
I like several ideas
1) Indy setting off on another adventure (like what Ren and Blues said)
2) There is no way for Indy to make it out alive, and all the characters think he is dead...then after the credits we see something that could imply that he is alive.
3) Indy teaching in a classroom, and while he is talking he starts thinking about all the adventure there is to be had and leaves the classroom.

*vaguely through the air floats the image of Indy slumped over a horse riding off into the falling sun. It should be a metaphorical ending where death and life could be argued forever.

IAdventurer01

If Indy were to die, (sheesh, I hope not!) I think it should be against an old rival, with a similar/better resume than Dr. Jones. One of Indy's closest friends die and Indy kills his rival in an epic showdown, but not without serious injuries. Wounded badly, he dies a short while later.

DST

I really like this idea: "2) There is no way for Indy to make it out alive, and all the characters think he is dead...then after the credits we see something that could imply that he is alive. "

BTW...

I dont really want him to die. Ok ok, he should live throughout the movies your right, BUT he is human - and humans dont live forever.

How would Indiana Jones die? Something has to do him in eventually right?

How about we have him in his 70's running through a Mayan temple with a relic and he makes it out just fine. He wipes the dirt off of his jacket, and hears a low rumbling. He turns around and sees a giant round bolder and it runs him over :p.

Finn

Staff member
Hmm, p'haps, but only in occasion the thread would discuss about the final escapade of other members too... :D If I were you, I'd wait 'til the Misc. table reopens.

Randy_Flagg

I remember when I first saw Last Crusade, I was naive enough to think Indy died when the tank went over the cliff, and I thought, "Ah, so that's why they introduced his father in this one, so another Jones can finish the adventure."

Oh, those naive days of yesteryear, before the internet spoiled everything...

B-man

Indy die? NO
Faking his death to decieve a baddy would be a good idea though.
And as for the ending, there's nothing wrong with a 'here we go again' moment...is there?

Pale Horse

Staff member
B-Man brings up a good point. Indy is supposed to die at the end of every movie, so that when the next serial comes out, we can see how he escaped...