Indy's languages

Finn

Staff member
Now here's an interesting question.

Let's see... he knows English, German, French, Arabic, Latin, Hindi, Greek (both ancient and modern) and Chinese at least. Also, he seemingly is able to at least read Norse runes, Aramaic, Palawi (the dead language of natives living in the Eastern Indian Isles) and Egyptian Hieratic writing.

Indy's knowledge in Russian is bit of a haywire case, since there're contradicting terms. As far as I recall, video game the Infernal Machine suggests that he doesn't (at least very well) while in Spear of Destiny the comic he does.

Of course, in the English language term "dozen" can mean "12" as you assumed, or just "plenty", which means that there can be little less or way more stuff in Indy's linguistic databank than those.

Also... as my list is based on things picked from official Indiana Jones stories (I can provide you with a reference database if you wish), has somebody seen proof that Indy is able to speak Spanish?

IndyBuff

That's a pretty good list you've compiled there Finn. I never really considered all the languages that Indy speaks until Patrick brought it up. I would assume he knows at least a little Spanish but I'm not positive on that.

Stoo

Interesting subject, Patrick. Where does the "12" or "dozen" reference appear?

I can't vouch for Indy being able to *read* these languauges but in the
"London - May 1916" episode, he knows English, Medieval English, French,
German, Italian, Spanish, Hungarian, Swedish, Greek, Ancient Greek, and
Arabic (the 1st *other* one he learned). At that time, he did not know
Welch.

In "Masks of Evil", it states that he knows 27, with one of them being
sign language for the hearing impaired but he is stumped by Icelandic
in this episode.

The fact that he knows German in the Young Indy Chronicles doesn't jive
with "Raiders" when he is seemingly at a loss for words in the submarine bay.
Plus, he is able to communicate in whatever Indian dialect that is used in
"Doom" so I guess we can assume he's always learning...

Junior Jones

Finn said:
...has somebody seen proof that Indy is able to speak Spanish?

In Young Indiana Jones and the Curse of the Jackal or "Mexico, 1916" he speaks fluent Spanish, fighting alongside Pancho Villa and even translating a news reel for his soldiers. (Lots of subtitles in that episode.)

Stoo said:
The fact that he knows German in the Young Indy Chronicles doesn't jive
with "Raiders" when he is seemingly at a loss for words in the submarine bay.
Plus, he is able to communicate in whatever Indian dialect that is used in
"Doom" so I guess we can assume he's always learning...

There's no problem with Raiders as he knows exactly what the officer is saying, he doesn't want to get noticed by anyone else so he follows the commands and shuts up.

However, a number of times if you can understand one language you can get by in another. My wife speaks a good amount of Spanish, and when we were in Italy last year she was able to get by ok at least. Many languages are at least close so he can probably get by in many.

Canyon

Interesting thread.

I've always been interested in Indy's ability to be able to speak many launguages and have always thought it was pretty cool. :cool:

As far as I am aware, Indy can read and speak the following:

English - with an American accent ;)
German - Raiders etc
Spanish - as seen in YIC
French - Young Indy chronicles
Arabic - This is well known and seen in YIC
Hindi - as seen in ToD
Greek (both ancient and modern) - as seen in LC and YIC
Chinese - seen in ToD
Russain - mentioned in YIC and Golden Fleece Dark Horse comic book
Turkish - also mentioned in yhe Golden Fleece adventure
Cuniform - Mentioned in
Sanskrit - seen in TOD
Babalonian in Infernal Machine?

I think that Indy probably also speaks Latin, Italian, Finnish, and maybe even Japanese. :D

Finn, can I ask. Where abouts did you hear that Indy could speak Palawi? Just curious. ;)

Finn

Staff member
Canyon said:
Finn, can I ask. Where abouts did you hear that Indy could speak Palawi? Just curious. ;)
You may, if you answer why you think Indy could speak Finnish. And there's no "probably" in Latin. It's clearly seen in LC that he knows it.

From IM. We pick up Indy translating pieces of text while looking for part number two. Of course it's never stated that it's Palawi, but that's the best assumption (considering he's even on island called <i>Palawan</i> and so on...). And I didn't say "speak" I said "read". As most of us know, dead languages are very difficult to learn to speak, as there's rarely any vocal examples to pick on. Reading is whole another case, then.

And as far as Babylonian goes, there's no such language for starters. That would be Sumer. And as usual, read only probably. And Sumer was written in Cuniform, btw.

Back to school, you.

Canyon

Finn said:
You may, if you answer why you think Indy could speak Finnish. And there's no "probably" in Latin. It's clearly seen in LC that he knows it.

From IM. We pick up Indy translating pieces of text while looking for part number two. Of course it's never stated that it's Palawi, but that's the best assumption (considering he's even on island called <i>Palawan</i> and so on...). And I didn't say "speak" I said "read". As most of us know, dead languages are very difficult to learn to speak, as there's rarely any vocal examples to pick on. Reading is whole another case, then.

And as far as Babylonian goes, there's no such language for starters. That would be Sumer. And as usual, read only probably. And Sumer was written in Cuniform, btw.

Back to school, you.

Y'know. I don't actually post on this messageboard to be critisized. If wanted that, i'd go somewhere else. :p

Seriously though, I know that Indy speaks Latin. It's just been a very long day.

And as for Infernal Machine, I wasn't quite sure of the language that was being read, ok?

The reason I suggeseted Finnish (not just because we have Finnish people on the board) was because I figured that if Indy could speak 27 languages, I thought that would at least include some of the Scandinavian languages.

Happy now?

Sheesh, some people aound here are never satisfied... :rolleyes:

Finn

Staff member
Canyon said:
Y'know. I don't actually post on this messageboard to be critisized. If wanted that, i'd go somewhere else. :p
Not <i>critisize</i>. <b>Civilize</b>. :rolleyes:

Canyon said:
The reason I suggeseted Finnish (not just because we have Finnish people on the board) was because I figured that if Indy could speak 27 languages, I thought that would at least include some of the Scandinavian languages.
1) Swedish would be more closer to the mark. It's more widely spoken and less complicated. Which gets us to... 2) If Icelandic left Indy stumped, guess what would happen with Finnish? And utmostly... 3) Finnish isn't a Scandinavian language.

Canyon said:
Happy now?
Back to school, you. :whip:

roundshort

Wow, Finn is beginning to post just like Jay . . .go figure.

How about this, he is a fictional charater, and he can speek any language that fits the need of the movie, t.v. show, video game, book, comic book, graphic novel, bar coaster, road sign, message in a bottle, or whatever else is written abotu him?

Finn

Staff member
Canyon said:
I left school 16 years ago.
Wow... you're younger than I thought. 21? 22? Don't they start the first grade at the age of five or six?

Canyon said:
How about you? :p
Three years. And I still can't help but wonder what more I had learnt if they'd let me to stay longer. :p

roundshort said:
Wow, Finn is beginning to post just like Jay . . .go figure.
Ouch. Hey, at least I capitalize my words correctly and use proper punctuation!

roundshort

don't get Jay started on that!

or he will happily do something he always says he will do . . .

Besides I thinkt he proper response should have been .

"Now your gettin' Nasty!"

Last edited:

Canyon

Finn said:
Wow... you're younger than I thought. 21? 22? Don't they start the first grade at the age of five or six?

Sorry, you mean you think I am 21/22 or older? If its the former, thanks for the compliment. I'm actually 32. :whip:

Finn

Staff member
Canyon said:
Sorry, you mean you think I am 21/22 or older? If its the former, thanks for the compliment. I'm actually 32.
And again... I'm speechless. I wonder if somebody did notice what I actually suggested here?