Last Crusade - why the book burning?

IndyBuff

I was thinking that the Nazis actually did burn books. I'm sure someone here can explain it better but I was sure that they did.

Last edited:

Johan

Sadly,they were burning Jewish literature. The holocost was just a picture of what is to come with the enemy trying to deystroy the Jewish race from the planet as the end draws near. With anti-semitism growing in record numbers (just as the Bible predicted, and just as it predicted Israel would become a nation again). We need to stand with the Jewish people in the time of their struggle, these are God's chosen people, and we are commanded to walk along side the Jewish people and love them.

Last edited:

Johan

phatr32 said:
ummmm ok, thanks for answering. And christians and orthidox arnt gods people either?

they are...but not God's CHOSEN people. Others are what the Bible would call "Gentiles"
Hey, don't blame me, its only in writing (the Bible)
I'm not Jewish so don't think I'm promoting myself

qwerty

First of all, ortodox are christians too. It's like catholizism, baptism or protestantism, all diferent parts of christianity.
Second, back to topic. I am to lazy to look it up but I think that Nazis did not burn just jewish books. They were trying to destroy all the history that was not in their liking. They where destroying all the art too. Only certan forms were alowed.
If you think that this was a big attack on civilization and culture, think again. It happens all the time. Think about this, when you open a history book of some country, why does it start on some particular time period, usualy settlement. What happen before that? We do not know becouse of the "camp fire".

Nothing supernatural...

"Just as the bibel predicted"

Ever heard of the concept of the self-fulfilling prophecy? The fact that the israelites were spoken of as god's people in ancient religious texts was the driving force behind israel's ultimate creation. They are not unrelated events - if the old testament was undiscovered until AFTER israel's formation then it would rank as a prediction.

Please folks don't use the bible, or any other religious literature (note the bible is the christian tome, the torah is jewish...) to promote one kind of peoples over another. Look at the troubles in the world through people murderously resenting others over differing BELIEF systems. How people can kill, hate and resent so much over BELIEFS rather than what they actually see around them and the experiences they feel from interacting with other peoples is beyond me. Mainly due to ignorance, poverty and the human condition methinks.

And the Nazi's burned all kinds of literature in the build up to WW2, not just jewish, though as ever anything of jewish origin would automatically be included.

As with all of the ancient religious writings, although often with a basis or referring to genuine ancient historical events, the vast bulk of these texts are parables and not to be taken literally. Learn the lessons therein on how to treat your fellow man by all means, but to think the words are those given to us by a higher force?? The words the religions now see in their texts have been changed fundamentally by human agencies over the centuries to make this impossible.

Case in point, a majority voting decision (4:3) at a council meeting of the chritian church in the 4th century was the first time it was decided that Christ was divine - I.e. the Son of God - rather than a plain old human with a decent message. Hardly the stuff of a burning bush is it? Its all politics folks.

Johan

There are prophesies that go WAY beyond anything that could be self-fullfilling. Think about it...Israel as a nation dissapeared for almost 2000yrs! And then suddenly they are a nation again. The Bible say's the Jewish people will begin to return to Jerusalem...this has happened in the past 50 years in the hundreds of thousands, one news article I read say's as much as 5 million!What other nation in History dissapears for 2000 years and all of a sudden is back? Anyway, talk to me after you have taken an Eschatology course.

And your information on the voting thing is quite skewed, there are many BEFORE (John The Baptist), during, and directly after that knew Chirst to be God and devine...and you would know it too if you have seen its power in the way I have.

And it was "pre-dominantly" jewish literature, of course there were other books I don't think the Nazi's took the time to read them before deciding to burn them, they were just ruthless and burnt what they found.

IndyJohan said:
There are prophesies that go WAY beyond anything that could be self-fullfilling. Think about it...Israel as a nation dissapeared for almost 2000yrs! And then suddenly they are a nation again. The Bible say's the Jewish people will begin to return to Jerusalem...this has happened in the past 50 years in the hundreds of thousands, one news article I read say's as much as 5 million!What other nation in History dissapears for 2000 years and all of a sudden is back? Anyway, talk to me after you have taken an Eschatology course.

And your information on the voting thing is quite skewed, there are many BEFORE (John The Baptist), during, and directly after that knew Chirst to be God and devine...and you would know it too if you have seen its power in the way I have.

And it was "pre-dominantly" jewish literature, of course there were other books I don't think the Nazi's took the time to read them before deciding to burn them, they were just ruthless and burnt what they found.

Hmmm... I'll try and refrain from simply replying in the slightly histrionic tone of your mail.

I'm afraid you've completely missed the point as regards my "self-fulfilling prophecy" argument. What I say is that the very fact that the rebirth of israel was in the bible/torah was the driving force behind the will of the jewish people to see it formed, as happened in 1948. If the old testament had remained totally undiscovered until, say, being found in jars in the desert after the formation of the israeli state, and then proved to mention the event, then THAT would indeed by an astounding phrophecy. As it stands, I am afraid that it is impossible to assess the causality of these two factors to any meaningful degree (I.e. when an event is known to have been phrophesied before the fact and then transpires, what influence did the prior knowledge of the prophecy have on its transpiring!!). We can reason the likely cause-effect relationship based on an understanding of human nature and mass psychology but nothing more concrete (this I feel suggests the self-fulfilling prophecy idea to be nearer the truth...).

You also fail to 'get' my point regarding the vote. The very nature of Christianity as it now stands and the content of that religion's sacred scriptures was determined by the outcome of these votes (and many subsequent revisions by various churches throughout history). Consequently, of course the said RESULTANT scriptures depict characters at/prior to the time of Christ "knowing" him to be divine! Your argument is circular and therefore invalid (nothing to do with what I am saying, just an incontravertible fact of logical reasoning). To paraphrase... Anyway, talk to me after you have taken an epistimiological course.

If it is the case that you just have blind faith in a religion or religious scriptures then please let me know as i'll give up trying to have a reasoned argument with you, as by definition your blind faith will prevent any of my points hitting home and I may as well save giving myself an aneurism over your intransigence. LOL.

As an additional point, do you know that there are actually no supporting historical texts referring to Jesus from before the 4th century or so? There are a handful of references to a "Christ" - but this simply means "Messiah". I.e. it is a generic term that simply regurgitates the age-old jewish belief that a messiah will return and in no way shows that such a man became famous in that time-period. History is written by the victors and the Catholic Christian church out-maneouvred the Gnostic Christian church in the first few centuries to leave us with their self-serving depiction of events. Heard about the suppressed Gnostic gospels by any chance?

The gnostics by the way believed "the christ" to be a state of mind/consciousness within us all that we could all attain - essentially a development of age-old pagan belief systems. But as some kind of expert on this subject I suppose i'm just telling you stuff you can blow out of the water Indyjohan??