13 aliens or......1?

sandiegojones

So I watched the scene in slow motion and noticed a few things and I have an idea about the "merging aliens".

I think we all agree that the aliens arrived in their spaceship and assisted the Ugha with the construction of Akator. The aliens left their spaceship in Akator and traveled back and forth to their world using the portal inside the ship. Later the aliens were attacked by Orellana and his men (one being was decapitated) and the aliens were then stuck since they could no longer activate ship or the portal (all 13 are needed since the skull works like a computer). The Ugha later built the temple around the ship and entombed the aliens.

Once the last skull is returned, the portal was activated. Now, the portal may have a bad effect on Earthly objects (such as the stone and the humans in the chamber) but perhaps it works differently with the aliens. After the soviets and the stone in the chamber get sucked into the portal, we see the aliens "appear" to merge as one.

I was thinking that perhaps as they spin around, they actually are disappearing through the portal and going back home. Simultaneously, a living alien is being teleported into the chamber from the other side.

Maybe you have to be in a chair to teleport and as they hit a certain point in the circle, they all look like the are disappearing in the same place. If the opposite is true for arriving in in the portal, then perhaps you arrive in the same spot in the circle. If both were happening at the same time it would look as though the others were becoming a live alien, but it is in fact a different being altogether. This living alien is then the one who transmits the last bit of knowledge which kills Spalko!

Also, this live being was likely teleported back from his home world to Akator to fly the spaceship home since the 13 obviously could not (the skulls had a consciousness but were not physically capable to "fly" the ship home). The portal only destroyed the skull chamber and the spaceship only starts to leave after this living alien has come back. Flying the ship home then destroys Akator.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Benraianajones

It is all a good idea that makes sense of the event. Though we see the skeletons are still somewhat living beings, as one of them moves its head to look at Spalko.

The beings, even fleshless, still appear to have powers. So I woudn't be surprised if they activated the ship to reveal the truth of it all to Spalko in a physical way. She could "see" as she stated, but to make the whole concept of her visions more real, and given the entire distorted perception of the rotating room and portal effects, I think the skeletons did physically merge in front of her to show her the face of what she is actually seeing. Essentially "projecting" her knowledge in to a more real form.

I'm not so sure a real alien came out a portal though, because you see skin slowly merging on the skeletons as they join together.

I think the easier explination is, bascially, the skeletons used the powers they still posessed to show irina the real face of the threat she was facing. Giving her the knowledge she wanted not only mentally, but physically.

nitzsche

If Spielberg intended for the alien to only be in Spalko's mind, then ILM messed up the execution of it. When Spalko disintegrates (or turns to dust) the alien clearly watches her as she floats away. The alien actually looks up as she is sucked into the portal and her boots are left behind.

The alien is actually there.

Agent Z

nitzsche said:
If Spielberg intended for the alien to only be in Spalko's mind, then ILM messed up the execution of it. When Spalko disintegrates (or turns to dust) the alien clearly watches her as she floats away. The alien actually looks up as she is sucked into the portal and her boots are left behind.

Yep! That is what always clued me in. Spalko is gone..so, who is imagining the being that we are seeing on the screen in front of us?

Unless the audience is in on the Big Gift Giveaway as well..... :p

Benraianajones

nitzsche said:

Yeah the alien is actually there, and the reason it is, is because the knowledge is aquiring is not just being given to her mentally, but projected physically in front of her too, as in, the skeletons use their power to show her the final part concerning them - exactly how they looked. I say that, because each of the skeletons were originally all fleshy individuals, now they aren't, so they merged to reveal the whole.

Dewy9

Another question I have is why some people get sucked into the portal much sooner than others? Does it have to do with their evil density? Spalko's certainly lighter (as far as weight) than her Commie henchmen, but sticks around last. So many questions...

The Magic Rat

Dewy9 said:
Another question I have is why some people get sucked into the portal much sooner than others? Does it have to do with their evil density? Spalko's certainly lighter (as far as weight) than her Commie henchmen, but sticks around last. So many questions...

Because disposable characters dying in the climax would be worthless! You just leave the leader! :p

Benraianajones

Dewy9 said:

I don't think it is anything to do with weight. I think it is safe to say the higher beings manipulated Spalko/the gravity she was in, to "hold" her in place, since she was the one they needed to "award" and not the others, who they dispatched of. She was also stood on a central pillar if that had any infleunce - maybe.

Also, as soon as she dies, her ashes get sucked in the air. So I think it is best to assume the beings manipulated the scenario.

sandiegojones

Dewy9 said:
The area where Spalko is standing is solid underneath. The place where the bad guys are at gets sucked up since there is a void below.

Dewy9

I will say that she did a better job than General Grevious did with a similar death style. There's only so many strange ways to kill villians and the two best, rapid aging and exploding, were already taken.

Benraianajones

I liked her death but her eyes should have burnt clean out leaving nothing inside the, as she yelled, followed by another blast of fire coming out, which then engulfed the rest of her body.

The Golden Idol

Benraianajones said:
I liked her death but her eyes should have burnt clean out leaving nothing inside the, as she yelled, followed by another blast of fire coming out, which then engulfed the rest of her body.

Well, aren't we a budding serial killer, then? ;)

Benraianajones

The Golden Idol said:
Well, aren't we a budding serial killer, then? ;)

Blame it on the alien.

And my fandom of Donovan's gory death.

Still, her death beats Mola Rams for me. Though I do enjoy seeing Willie and Shorty stamp on his hands.

Dewy9

Mola Ram's has always been a little off the wall to me. Indy and Mola Ram are fighting and all the sudden the stone catches on fire and cools off in time for Indy to grab it back. I do like the crocodiles and I've always wished that Indy had an encounter with them in KOTCS.

Irfaan

Well, judging from peoples comments I would say it must of been in her mind. Yes, it is a bit confusing but I think it was just their for impact, as the other scenes show 13 different "extraordinary" doing different tasks (on the walls)

Cole

I would find it surprising if Spielberg said that......he doesn't do commentaries and almost never publicly analyzes his films as he says he wants the audience to come up with their own ideas on their own. And of everything I've read/heard on Crystal Skull, I've never heard him say that.

The way the scene plays out......I certainly did not get the feeling that it is in Spalko's mind.

Cole

My thoughts....

Spalko says the skeletons are "hive mind. One being, physically separate, but with a collective consciousness. More powerful together than they can ever be apart."

I think the alien manifestated itself into 13 separate entities as to weaken itself and share information with humans without hurting them.

Thus, the skeletons are not "dead," but still living. Hence how the skeletons move and how the skull still has psychic powers.

Notice how Spalko is not harmed until the skeletons start morphing into one living body.

And yea, I think the alien destroys Spalko because it knows Spalko wants to use the powers out of greed/power. The shot of the alien looking at Spalko is almost like it is judging her soul or something, which is pretty neat.

Cole

I think it was important for the aliens to resemble the typical "Close Encounters" alien with the green bodies and big eyes because these aliens are based on the Roswell legends.........and the green bodies/big eye alien legends came from Roswell.