Atlantis

TombReader

I thought Plato was the source of the myth. :p

The eruption of a volcano at Santorini(then Thera) c.1520 BC may have in some way influenced Plato's story,but Plato himself says that Atlantis was located in the Atlantic Ocean.If we are to believe that Atlantis was destroyed,then Thera/Santorini cannot be Atlantis,since it was not completely destroyed.

Plato says: "This power came forth out of the Atlantis Ocean...an island situated in front of the straits,which are by you called the Pillars of Heracles"(modern-day Strait of Gibraltar,located at the tip of Spain).

Last edited:

TombReader

ClintonHammond said:
What makes you think he wasn't writing fiction?

Oh,I believe Plato's story was complete fiction.It may have had some historical/mythological basis but the story of Atlantis was made-up so Plato could illustrate a point to his students/readers.The point of the story had nothing to do with Atlantis,but the idea that Athens could defeat a technologically superior(but morally corrupted)superpower.

indifan101

Very true. Plato gave the discription of Atlantis as a utopia. But if there once was a lost continent were is the evidence or and drift of the continent? Or the dissapearence. There is no proof. Just thoughts and theories.

Quickening

Okay first of all, forget the Santorini idea. It's the one that the scientific community jumped on because it's "safe" and that's why you hear it banded as fact that Atlantis was Santorini when in fact Atlantology has dismissed this notion long ago. It always relied on ridiculous errors in translation being made not to mention the fact that it could never have bore any similarity to Plato's Atlantis aside from the fact it was destroyed.
For those who don't know, the source of Atlantis comes from the Greek philosopher Plato who in turn has Critias relate the tale in his dialogues. Critias allegedly heard the story from Solon who in turn heard it from Egyptian priests in Sais. Therefore, the story of Atlantis is either Egyptian or Greek in origin depending on what you believe.
There is scarcely a site on Earth that has not been claimed as the location of Atlantis but the most plausable still remains the Atlantic Ocean. And Edgar Cayce was never proven a fraud. That is a flat out lie. I don't know why people insist on claiming things have been debunked when they haven't. Of late on this forum Ive seen people saying "the crystal skulls have all been proven fake" which is again, a lie. There are many crystal skulls and you can purchase them in many New Age shops now and just because someone reads a single line about one being discovered as fake does not give them the right to run about telling everyone that the whole thing was nonsense from the start. Because they are too ignorant to know that.

British Indy

I've been researching Atlantis for years now, and I now believe it is one of three places: Santorini, the Black sea or Britain, with Britain and Santorini fitting best with Plato's account. I personally favour the Britain theory, mostly because if were true it would make me a descended of the Atlanteans :p

China Jim

OK guys if this has already been posted fine if not here goes Atlantis as the stories relate it did not exist I am stating the Atlantis of Plato Bacon and Donnely did not exist not a super scientific world right out of a George Pal movie. What we know of as Atlantis was in actuality the Island of Thera or Santarini as it is known today which according to the best historical and archeological work did experience a volcanic eruption equal to several A-Bombs going off and in the process sank the middle of the island the city found on what is left of the island which has been name aqua terri pardon my misspelling I am working from memory here and it as well as the city not to far in land was wiped out and that city was Knosses ruled by King Minos of the Minoan empire all this can be checked at either National Geo on line or the American Institute of Archeology web site. A funny side bar to this is at the time Thera Exploded was according to Egyptian records was about the time the infamous plagues of Egypt started makes you say hmmmm don't it There had been a dig going on on the island before WW 2 and was started back up after the war ended and I believe the sons or daughter of the original archeologist are still at it. OK thats my input.
P S c'mon guys answer some of my post I am sorry I have been busy but I gotta get a new research article done for my masters .
China Jim:D

China Jim

myth and fact

Edward Spencer noted that all myths have a basis in fact and after perusing the earlier mail I can see the Thera idea has been bandied about and I am well aware of Solon hearing the story from Egyptian priest but as to the dates given by Plato via Solon I postulate that he added to many zeroes to his time frame and via retelling the story changed from a historical incident to a morality play about what happens when people who either granted god-like powers or are decedents of a God become as corrupt as the animals in there dealings with each other