Beginning a 1:1 Ark build

Goodeknight

starks said:
Ahhh, what you have there is an ark thats made by a gentleman who kicks around the RPF. He has a website and he builds Arks for churches and anyone else who wants one. I know he sometimes puts neons under them. His inspiration is obviously from the Raiders Ark although he is a fan it seems is not overly concerned with making them accurate for the Indiana Jones community. The original moulds spoken ofn are the cherubs on top. Some of the cherubs available are from 5th and 6th generation castings and have been altered from the original but even these are still close enough for the regular person and at some stage came from molds of the original.
Ill try find the website tonight. It looks cool though, thanks for sharing.

Great info, Starks. Thanks! Yes, the cherubs are the standout similarity. And the starts surrounding the lid. Obviously the Raiders ark is the inspiration. As I've posted before here, I wonder if any pics have ever been taken of the "true ark" in Ethiopia -- or of any of the copies of it that the other churches in Ethiopia hold. They are paraded every year, but always covered. Even a pic of one of those copies would be nice. While I doubt the Axum ark is the true Ark of the Covenant, it could be copied from the original Ark, making a copy of that copy perhaps the closest thing we'd ever see to the real Ark itself.

paraiderfan

Ark Pictures

goodeknight said:
As I've posted before here, I wonder if any pics have ever been taken of the "true ark" in Ethiopia -- or of any of the copies of it that the other churches in Ethiopia hold.

Unfortunately, from what I know, there are no pictures of the Ethiopian Ark. I've seen a good number of documentaries and all of the reporters have been turned away. The guardian wll not allow anyone to see the Ark, let alone take pictures of it. And the same goes for the rest of the churches. One of the documentaries filmed inside one of the churches, but were not allowed to film inside the Holy of Holies, where their Ark is kept. They showed it, but it was covered and were not allowed to see it uncovered.

Stoo

starks said:
Well, I got the info. The rays are engraved so I have to make the changes! Atleast now I know :)
Cool. Happy to know that you now know and are also kind enough to share the info.:) I was pretty confident they were raised. How did you find out?

starks

Stoo said:
Cool. Happy to know that you now know and are also kind enough to share the info.:) I was pretty confident they were raised. How did you find out?

One of the gentlemen on the RPF went to the exhibition and took a whole heap of brilliant photos and video. He was kind enough to check and share the information.
I have made the changes now and this is what I am up to. Started playing with creating the sides and researching for the lid. I have been getting a leg made and once I have a side and an end I can get those molded and put a box together!

20121221_145804_zpsffcb83ca-1_zpsad7c1bb0.jpg

20121221_145729_zps01319006-1_zps6407ed23.jpg

20121221_150205_zpsa6bbc896-1_zps1537675f.jpg

starks

I have been doing some more work on the reliefs over the holidays and have put them onto a backing with a border to allow mounting onto the inner side of a box. They are in a water base primer to seal the modelling clay they are sculpted from and will be put into a 2k primer this week and finished ready for casting.
The side panel will be primed this week also ready for casting and I have the end panel to begin.
For anyone interested the measurements I am working with with posted up on the RPF by Adam Savage who took measurements when he was working at ILM. If anyone wants them I will post them here.

20121230_172142_1_zps966a950c.jpg

20121230_172206_2_zpsb8a38154.jpg

20121230_172213_3_zps170d7749.jpg

20121230_172258_4_zps49c1d58b.jpg

parttime

This is a very, very nice Ark build. Spot on or not I am impressed.

I did one myself a few years back. It is made from MDF board.

The cherubs I hand sculpted from air-dry clay. The first one wasn't so hard but duplicating it was quite difficult.

I was not going for perfect accuracy just close as possible with what I had to work with. It also serves as a Crystal Skull display and coffee table in my Indy room.

cherub4.jpg
100_1285.jpg
indyrm2.jpg

cherub2.jpg
cherub1.jpg
indyrm1.jpg

-Dusty

starks

that looks fantastic parttime. I like how its so far removed from the Raiders prop and has a somewhat science fiction feel to it, yet its in-mistakable as to what it is and it would fit right into the Raiders world. I think it is perfect for housing your crystal skull. Might I ask how you did the mapping on your wall behind your couch? that is a cool effect!