Easter Island potential?

Paul Michaels

I enjoyed KOTCS, but the other day I was thinking, "Why didn't the filmakers set at least part of the film on Easter Island?"

And it's not so much the alien mythology that I'm hinting at either, but you could make a case for it (humans couldn't have possibly built those statues by themselves now! Not without some extraterrestrial help! ;>)) I've always wanted to see Indy there, and the story possibilities wouldn't have been a stretch.

What do you think?

sandiegojones

The Nazca lines and Chauchilla Cemetery make far more sense for this tale as it all ties in with the crystal skull myths and El Dorado. Easter Island is 2,000 miles away from Peru and is too far off course for Indy and this story.

Orellana really did seek "El Dorado" and was lost in the Amazon never to be found. Easter Island wasn't discovered until the 1700's so it doesn't fit with the conquistador story.

Easter Island is also pretty bare except for the statues so I'm not sure what it could offer unless they made something up. Some do believe that the Islanders were in fact ancient Peruvians (since the statues and culture is very similar) and that they travelled by boat to get there, but nobody knows how they would have been able to navigate to the island. That "could" have fit with KOTCS but again, it's a bit too far off topic. The story is pretty convoluted as it is.

It's easy to explain the statues as they are made of volcanic rock and they are on a volcanic island. The statues also look human, not alien.

TheMutt92

sandiegojones said:
Why would they mention those?

People have theories that aliens assisted in the construction of those as well. How anyone can assume something like that is beyond me... ;)