Favorite Indy 3 3/4" line experiences/What will you miss most?

Lambonius

So now that Hasbro's 3 3/4" Indy line has come to an end, we can look back over a great (if at times, bumpy and frustrating) run of toy collecting. I'd like to see this thread turn into a compilation of great personal stories and fond memories of/experiences with the Indy line. You could talk about favorite items, share the story of your most satisfying retail find, favorite custom, etc. Really, this should just be a general "wasn't that cool?" kind of a thread.

I'll kick things off.

I love this line. Period. It was my first foray into toy collecting (as an adult) and I've successfully completed an outstanding collection of loose figures, vehicles, and playset pieces that I really just cannot get enough of. The Indiana Jones movies and franchise hold a very special place in my heart, as I'm sure they do with everyone here, and I can't even really put into words how awesome it is to have these figures that I would have absolutely KILLED for as a kid. Man, seriously, what I wouldn't have given for a line of Indy toys this detailed and (for the most part) movie-accurate.

As I'm sure it is for most people who've gotten their hands on it, the TOD wave is the standout best, highest-quality, most screen-accurate wave of 3 3/4" action figures that I think I've ever seen, let alone from this line. Since I just got ahold of the full wave today, the novelty factor alone is setting them above the rest of the line, but the quality speaks for itself. Of the rest of the line, I'd say Henry, LC Indy, and my motorcycle w/sidecar custom are my absolute favorite pieces.

Of course, I wish we had gotten more, but I'm happy where the line ended; the TOD wave is one heck of a bang to go out with. It's a bittersweet thing though, because I thoroughly enjoyed collecting this line, even the frustrating moments of checking the forums here and at rebelscum multiple times a day for news of new figure sightings, as well as spending the better part of a day driving around the tri-county area checking stores for LC figures. :p

Which brings me to another amazing thing about this line: it brought me here. (Well, actually, searching for news about a 4th Indy movie years before it was greenlighted brought me here, but the Collecting Forum is what made me stick around long after the movie was released.) Not only am I thoroughly addicted to The Raven, but it's proven to be an extremely entertaining and at times really inspirational source of creativity and stimulating conversation. The Customs thread here singlehandedly inspired me to take the plunge into a great new hobby that I foresee pursuing further for quite some time, especially now that the Indy line is over. All in all, this is a fantastic community, even with the odd bouts of drama; I'd say it's probably the best online community that I've yet participated in.

My most satisfying collecting moment was finding most of the LC wave at a backwoods Walmart half an hour outside of my home town on a tip from my fiancee's boss (who is apparently an avid toy collector.) This was back right around the end of June/beginning of July when the wave first started hitting stores. I remember I was out for a late dinner with my sister and my fiancee (who was still just my girlfriend at the time) and I made some offhanded comment about wanting to get my hands on the LC figures (believe me, it was as out-of-the-blue in the conversation as it sounds :p ) and my fiancee was like "oh yeah, that reminds me, I was going to tell you that Gary saw those figures at the Walmart out in Morton." Of course, I about jumped out of my seat, and immediately had trouble thinking of anything else but going and looking for them. I jokingly told my sister I was going to drag her along with me to check the place after we left the restaurant (even though it was about 10:30 at night and the store was about half an hour out of town.) She jokingly said she would go along for the ride, and so I held her to it and drove all the way out there later that night, sister in tow (she was less than pleased.) My trip was a hit though, as I ended up scoring Elsa and the Grail Knight, leaving LC Indy and Young Indy on the pegs (remember this was before anyone knew the line was in trouble, so I figured they'd only get more plentiful in the following weeks.) A few days later, impulse got the better of me and I went back for the other two. That first night was not only amusing because of the sheer impulsiveness of it all, but also an immensely satisfying retail find. I wouldn't get my hands on Vogel or Henry Sr. until a month or so later.

Anyway, I think I've gone on long enough. Feel free to share your great Indy line experiences!! (y)

Last edited:

Nurhachi1991

I'm gonna miss going to the toy aisles franticly searching through pegs of jacketless Mutts while 7 year olds and their parents stare at me and I leave the store feeling like a big loser.

The Magic Rat

Nurhachi1991 said:
I'm gonna miss going to the toy aisles franticly searching through pegs of jacketless Mutts while 7 year olds and their parents stare at me and I leave the store feeling like a big loser.

THIS. Target started to recognize me....

phantom train

Great thread - I'm one of the fans that grew up with the original IJ films, and for years really wanted a good, quality line of new IJ figures. I had been thinking about the possibility of a new IJ line ever since around 1995/1996, when the new POTF2 SW figures came out (I am a collector of those too, but that's another forum). The success/great quality of that line made me think a new IJ line may be viable.

However, I didn't think a new line would ever materialize, so I was very pleased when I read Hasbro would produce new IJ figures (I probably heard this sometime late 2007).

I remember looking forward to these, and going to TRU and Wal-Mart on May 1st looking for them. I found very few (most of the first shipments sold out), but later that week went to Target and got most of the new figures/vehicles (primarily from ROTLA).
Overall, I was very interested and pleased with this line - not only did we get figures from the new movie, but also a great line of ROTLA figures/vehicles, including the Truck that I never had from the first line. In addition to the figures themselves, I also really enjoyed the pack-ins, especially the green "Nurhachi" vase, which was very movie-accurate.

I guess my best memories of the line would be early on, when it seemed to be selling well and there was all sorts of speculation and wish-lists on this forum regarding the possibility of future figures/vehicles.
Based on what I was seeing early on in stores (sold-out figures, low quantities, etc.) I really thought the line would do well among collectors (if not anyone else).

In addition to the first wave of figures, I really like the four LC figures I was able to find (excluding Vogel and Elsa), but doubt I'll be able to find the TOD figures (at retail, at least).

As has been discussed on this board at length, it's too bad the line didn't do well, since the potential was there for at least 2-3 more years of great figures/vehicles.

Jonesfan

I collected Star Wars for years. My heart has always belonged to the 3 3/4 scale action figures and to be honest I love Indy more than Star Wars. So I was thrilled when Hasbro got the license to make these. If McFarlane or say NECA got them and made 6 inch figures I would have never gotten them even though I love Indy. But to get to the question. I am going to miss the most is getting more awesome 3 3/4 figures besides star wars. :(

vf wing

I will miss Indy having a shelf presence during the downtime. I honestly see it as only temporary. Other than that, I will miss nothing. I got everything!!

I look forward to continued bursts of creativity and photography. To future customizing and set building. To opening the stuff I haven't even gotten around to yet!

One of the most overwhelming things that occurred for me during this time period is that I completely switched gears in terms of toy collecting. I've been an avid Joe guy for a number of years. I also am constantly on the lookout for items I can use in my custom 'verse. This is what drove me to make my very first modern Indy purchase, namely the Marion/Thug 2-pack, for the swords, purchased on May 1st. I still haven't opened it yet!

Soon, Indy with horse became a must-have, since everybody needs at least one Indiana Jones in their collection. But the horse was unexpectedly sweet, the most articulated of its kind that I've ever come across. This led to the purchase of the exquisite German with Motorcycle and blossomed out into a totally new take on toy collecting, with Indy becoming the focus and Joe and SW becoming more or less occasional purchases.

During Indy's downtime, I plan to store up my cash reserves. For the next run, ya know! (y)

Mike D

I'm going to miss going through the pegs looking for the figures with the cruddiest paintwork on their face so I could get them home and repaint them! I never had so much fun "fixing" a toy line to suit my tastes!

michael

Lambonius, I am pretty much in the same boat with you. I never thought I would start collecting action figures of any kind. The idea never even popped into my head. I never had anything against it, just never interested. I then remember going to the merchandise section of theraider.net (nice plug eh?) and checking out some of the items. I went straight to the hasbro site and I was amazed at the figures they had. And when I saw the Temple of Doom figures, I was absolutely floored. AMAZING figures from my favorite movie. But the thought of collecting them still didn't register. Well, after some reading in this section of the forum, and seeing all the pictures of figures, and customizing jobs (which are unreal) I was starting to gain more interest in them. I took a drive to Wal-Mart to just look at them in person, and the rest is history. You mentioned the Indy in disguise w/the Ark in another thread, I pretty much had the same thinking as you: "How could I not own this piece of artwork." They are awesome action figures and amazing pieces of art from my favorite movies. I was hooked. As far as collecting other stuff, I won't, just Indy really.

I'll probably miss the hunt of looking for the Last Crusade wave the most. Still only found Indy, Young Indy and Henry Sr. But I did get my Temple of Doom ones, and some extras as well---that was a priority!

Deckard

My favorite Indy line experiane would have to be How Hasbro screwed up the original paint apps on the first wave and every single person who saw how crappy they were called the line would be mishandled and die.

Then I also liked how they improperly distributed the LC and ToD waves. That was another highlight.

Finally I was able to pay $20 a figure for the ToD wave on ebay.

All in all it was a pretty retarded experiance and I hope that someone at Habro lost his job and is homeless.

Mike D

Deckard said:
My favorite Indy line experiane would have to be How Hasbro screwed up the original paint apps on the first wave and every single person who saw how crappy they were called the line would be mishandled and die.

Then I also liked how they improperly distributed the LC and ToD waves. That was another highlight.

All in all it was a pretty retarded experiance and I hope that someone at Habro lost his job and is homeless.

That's certainly one way to look at it... sort of a glass is half full perspective. ;)

The Golden Idol

Deckard said:

O u c h.

indyclone25

well i hope this might help i went into toys r us this morning ( orland park il) and as i went to the aisle with indiana jones toys in it i saw a lady with her xmas list she had three indy figures in her cart 2 akator playsets and a slew of the action heros --- i was pretty impressed --but alas --no new figures to be found ---- then as i went into the video game section noticed another lady with indy figures and akator playset --- and another lady at the check out buying three indy figures and two 12 in figures

--- i bought a pop and asked the lady behind the counter i asked wow selling alot of indiana jones today? she said 'actually yes i have rung up quite a few people with indiana jones toys '
so hopefully with the people out buying the xmas gifts we may start seeing restocks on the lc and temple instores soon --- we can only hope

Mike D

indyclone25 said:
well i hope this might help i went into toys r us this morning ( orland park il) and as i went to the aisle with indiana jones toys in it i saw a lady with her xmas list she had three indy figures in her cart 2 akator playsets and a slew of the action heros --- i was pretty impressed --but alas --no new figures to be found ---- then as i went into the video game section noticed another lady with indy figures and akator playset --- and another lady at the check out buying three indy figures and two 12 in figures

--- i bought a pop and asked the lady behind the counter i asked wow selling alot of indiana jones today? she said 'actually yes i have rung up quite a few people with indiana jones toys '
so hopefully with the people out buying the xmas gifts we may start seeing restocks on the lc and temple instores soon --- we can only hope

We can always hope!