Film Score Monthly podcast looks at the Indy movie scores

Crack that whip

Apologies for not posting earlier; I assumed someone else would get to it. Anyway...

The Film Score Monthly podcast recently returned after a long period of dormancy (not unlike a certain movie series) with a 20-minute look at the music of the three Indy movies. It's a terrific listen for fans of John Williams' scores for these films.

Michael24

Haven't listened to it yet, but already there's buzz on the FSM message board about the fact the podcast uses a snippet of music from Temple of Doom that is not available on the soundtrack and sounds way too clean to simply be a bootleg or DVD rip with the sound effects taken out. Interesting for sure. :gun:

Crack that whip

Yep - lots of discussion over whether it signifies a possible expanded release by FSM or one of the other specialty labels. I'm hoping the reported Concord reissues will be expansions, and that all the Indy fans who want the full scores can get them without worrying about edition limits.

(I post at the FSM boards and a number of other places as Blondie-Wan, BTW.)

Michael24

Cool. I've seen you around on the board then. :)

Yeah, since Concord announced they'd be re-releasing the previous three as well, it seems unlikely that FSM would have their own release. Either way, getting expanded/complete versions of them would be a dream come true. I'd personally love to see them get the same treatment as those complete 2-disc Star Wars releases in 1997. (y)

fommes

Let us hope indeed that Concord will release the complete scores to the trilogy as Williams intended them - complete with alternates and the like. That's probably only going to happen when they bring in people like Mike Matessino or Nick Redman, so fingers crossed. Especially The Temple of Doom (but all three really) are my ultimate holy grails - I'd rather have those than the films in Blu-Ray so to speak.
I'm just afraid that if they don't do it now, and Concord just reissues the soundtracks, we won't be seeing them in a long while...

Michael24

Somebody pointed out (I think over at FSM) that one of the biggest obstacles in such a complete reissue could be the reuse fees. Raiders was recorded in England, while the Temple of Doom and Last Crusade scores (and I believe, now, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) were recorded in Los Angeles, where the reuse fees are much higher. These fees are what sometimes results in a soundtrack for, say, a two-hour movie only containing about 30-40 minutes of score.

But I thought within the last couple of years there was some kind of new deal or something lowered the reuse fees or allowed soundtracks to include more music despite the fees, but I don't know the details.

Crack that whip

Yes, there've been new rules drawn up with the AFM (American Federation of Musicians) designed to accommodate soundtrack releases by increasing the number of units sold of an album before the reuse fees kick in, by lowering fees, or things like that. The thing is, though, IIRC the new rules just apply to new scores recorded from the time of the new agreement; older recordings are still subject to the rules in effect at the time.

Since Raiders of the Lost Ark was recorded by the LSO under very different regulations than those under which the other two were released, a complete version of Raiders should be readily doable as far as the licensing goes; note it's the one for which there's been an expanded release already. I think the main reason it's still not complete is simply that it's hard to fit much more music on a single CD than the current one has, and they wanted to make it a single-CD set (double-CD sets for orchestral film scores generally don't sell well, apparently, though I'd hope an Indy movie would be an exception). Note also the four volumes of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles all feature a ton of music - they're all over 70 minutes long; one of them is over 78 - and they had no problems licensing all that music for albums they knew wouldn't sell as well as the movie soundtracks. It's because the episodes from the show were mostly recorded by overseas, non-AFM orchestras. I believe the pilot, Young Indiana Jones and the Curse of the Jackal, was recorded domestically in LA, and it doesn't show up on any of the four soundtrack volumes, apparently because of the reuse fees.

But still, anything's possible. There've been some amazing score releases just in the past year that many score geeks were sure would never happen. With all the Indy stuff happening now, this year would be a great opportunity to finally do the first three movie scores right, and I'm hoping it happens.
(y)

fommes

Indeed.
Concerning the films, it's also very much the combination of Lucasfilm and Paramount that makes a release very tough - in addition to the fees. Still I'm thinking (as has been suggested on FSM) the time is ripe for such complete releases around the time of the DVD release of the fourth movie...

Crack that whip

Crack that whip said:
Note also the four volumes of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles all feature a ton of music - they're all over 70 minutes long; one of them is over 78

Whoops, sorry - I meant to say the longest one is about 76 minutes. I must have been thinking of the longest CD in my library, which I think is a little over 78.