Flying Wing's "magic" cockpit?

Lance Quazar

So I was watching Raiders again recently and there is a major cheat that I can't believe I never noticed before!

During the fight by the Flying Wing, while Indy is duking it out with the German mechanic, Marion knocks the pilot unconscious and then gets stuck inside the plane's cockpit.

But when a bunch of soldiers start showing up around the plane, Marion has magically transported herself to the gun station in the rear section of the plane, where she proceeds to shoot up the arriving soldiers.

While watching the scene, I couldn't believe that I hadn't noticed this before and thought maybe it was supposed to be time compression - that we didn't see her move to the other compartment.

(even though there was a close-up of the cockpit slamming shut and presumably locking - see following).

Then, of course, when Indy tries to get her out of the plane, she is BACK in the cockpit and the hatch is stuck so that Indy has to shoot the lock to get her out.

Huh?????

I'm sure this must have been brought up here at some point before (I'm relatively new to the site), but having seen the movie a hundred times, I can't believe I never noticed this extraordinary cheat.

Gear

It had always been my assumption that the gun turret had been in the same cockpit...

nitzsche

Yeah, there is a crawl space connecting the cockpit to the gun turret area.

The real mystery is how the Nazis planned to load the rather large Ark crate onto the Flying Wing.

Dr Bones

nitzsche said:
Yeah, there is a crawl space connecting the cockpit to the gun turret area.

The real mystery is how the Nazis planned to load the rather large Ark crate onto the Flying Wing.

Most planes of that type would have a crawl space I would have thought. #

Not sure they ever intended to trasnport the ark with the plane.:confused:

nitzsche

Yeah, they were going to fly it out - that's why Indy went to hijack the plane.

INDY
When the Ark gets loaded, we're
already going to be on that plane.

The Nazis then decided to go with Plan B when the plane blew up - the truck.

Lance Quazar

There's no way a plane like that would have a crawl space between the cockpit and the turret. Nor would Marion have enough time to negotiate it anyway.

It's the single most unrealistic part of the film for me now.

I can't believe I missed it all these years.

Dr Bones

Lance Quazar said:
There's no way a plane like that would have a crawl space between the cockpit and the turret. Nor would Marion have enough time to negotiate it anyway.

It's the single most unrealistic part of the film for me now.

I can't believe I missed it all these years.

I dunno, it's shape is deceptively deep and the old WWII bombers such as Lancasters and B52's both had passage from rear gunner to cockpit.

But as it's not a real plane and only a film...a little suspension of disbelief?

metalinvader

Lance Quazar said:

Le sigh.

Here it is.Clear as day.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QhCJnOFZvHc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QhCJnOFZvHc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

At 2:50 we see Marion duck into something( The crawl space)

Then at 2:52 marion is climbing up from the crawl space to the gun turret.

Little Indy

Pretty sure there would be a crawl space. I've been to a few airshows and they have B24s B17's and other WWII era bombers and there are crawl spaces between compartments. I distinctly remember thinking it would be very difficult for me to get around inside as I am 6' 4". Very cramped inside. I would even go so far as to say that the pilot and gunner were not the only crew, possibly a radioman or other function.

Edit:Yeah the clip shows it pretty clear, especially where Indy blows the cockpit open Marion is seen coming from the crawlspace.

Last edited:

Lance Quazar

metalinvader said:
Le sigh.

Here it is.Clear as day.
At 2:50 we see Marion duck into something( The crawl space)

Then at 2:52 marion is climbing up from the crawl space to the gun turret.

You guys take the fun out of everything.

Against all evidence to the contrary, I'm still convinced I'm right.

Besides, how is the guy in the turret supposed to go to the bathroom?

QBComics

Lance Quazar said:

He holds it. :p

Anymore? We can take it!

Dr Bones

nitzsche said:
Yeah - and you see the little crawlspace tunnel fromt he outside connecting the two areas of the plane.

Yep...a convex line indicating a tunnel/crawlspace is definitley there.

This plane is too big to be a fighter and is more likely a short range bomber class and thus can hold the ark quite easily. Also as a bomber there would be a crawlspace as in most bombers of that era (as I mentioend before).

Lance Quazar said:

Same way the pilot does! This isn't a 747 with a flushing convenience!

Summary:

There is a crawl space and it is big enouh to carry the ark.(y)

IMO case closed.

Last edited:

DoomTown

nitzsche said:
Yeah, they were going to fly it out - that's why Indy went to hijack the plane.

The Nazis then decided to go with Plan B when the plane blew up - the truck.

Truck? What truck??? (Sorry, I had to.)(y)