German friends - are you tired of German villains?

Lance Quazar

I find it a relevant point because they’re pretty explicitly neo-Space Nazis, with Kylo and especially Hux playing a bit like Star Wars versions of internet-radicalized white supremacists. Not unlike Klaber.

That is, they count if we’re talking about whether Disney is avoiding the political, because at least in the Lucasfilm context, there’s an argument that they’re not.
Sorry, but they don't count. The company gets to have Nazi-style trappings all they want for fictional villains in outer space. They ain't Nazis, even though both the baddies in the OT and ST do deliberately evoke the aesthetic of Nazis.

DoD was actually a pretty rare exception.

Disney has scrubbed ALL Nazi mentions and iconography from the Indiana Jones stunt show, to pick just a single example.

Nazis, in general, are almost gone from pop culture as the bad guys, unlike the old days. Hell, even a relatively recent WW2 set adventure had a secret Nazi offshoot cult as their bad guys with real Nazis existing only in the periphery.'

Weirdly, WW1 has largely supplanted WW2 as a setting for fantasy/action/adventure movies in recent years. (Wonder Woman, King's Man, Jungle Cruise, etc. etc.)

Ender

I find it a relevant point because they’re pretty explicitly neo-Space Nazis, with Kylo and especially Hux playing a bit like Star Wars versions of internet-radicalized white supremacists.
They definitely feel like the genuine Third Reich, not watered down Internet neo-Nazis.

And for once, I agree with Lance. "Nazi-inspired" is not the same as actual Nazis.

INDY36

So the relationship between modern Germans and their past is a complicated one. For those of us who of are of "German" origin, ...it is not the same thing; not the same thing as being modern Germans Their parents or grandparents suffered through the "Post War" ...None of my North American German ancestors suffered the hunger...starvation....and all of the other depredations that the German population suffered between 1945 and 1950...and maybe even longer. So it is hard sometimes to understand.

So even if Nazi's are used as villains, Understand that it does not define the German people.

I find it a relevant point because they’re pretty explicitly neo-Space Nazis, with Kylo and especially Hux playing a bit like Star Wars versions of internet-radicalized white supremacists. Not unlike Klaber.

That is, they count if we’re talking about whether Disney is avoiding the political, because at least in the Lucasfilm context, there’s an argument that they’re not.
But they're more like commies than Nazis. There's nothing racial or species-oriented about the First Order or Empire. They simply want to create a unified galaxy with brute force, much like Stalin, Pol Pot, Castro, etc. (Likewise, they never target Toydarians for extermination.)

The Lone Raider

But they're more like commies than Nazis. There's nothing racial or species-oriented about the First Order or Empire. They simply want to create a unified galaxy with brute force, much like Stalin, Pol Pot, Castro, etc. (Likewise, they never target Toydarians for extermination.)
They're all humans though, save for Thrawn, and he's still very humanoid. It's not explicitly stated, but I think an argument can be made that they're truly xenophobic.

Spiked

They definitely feel like the genuine Third Reich, not watered down Internet neo-Nazis.

And for once, I agree with Lance. "Nazi-inspired" is not the same as actual Nazis.
It's more inspired by Flash Gordon villains, Ming and his minions, as that was what George Lucas was originally going for.

Disney has scrubbed ALL Nazi mentions and iconography from the Indiana Jones stunt show, to pick just a single example.

Nazis, in general, are almost gone from pop culture as the bad guys, unlike the old days. Hell, even a relatively recent WW2 set adventure had a secret Nazi offshoot cult as their bad guys with real Nazis existing only in the periphery.'

Weirdly, WW1 has largely supplanted WW2 as a setting for fantasy/action/adventure movies in recent years. (Wonder Woman, King's Man, Jungle Cruise, etc. etc.)
Who are the adversaries in the stunt show then?

Can you imagine if they tried to do Hogan's Heroes today?

I think it's about time they used WW1 settings, it's been untapped territory for a long time, few people know much about the Great War and don't realize how its legacy is still affecting world events today.