Glad I wasn't the only one

Robyn

I came across these quotes and it made me glad I wasn't the only one who wanted Marion in all the Indy's... I'm just posting this for fun by the way, not a heated debate :hat: ;)

Spielberg on Temple of Doom:
"I looked at a lot of possible Indy girls.. I really wanted to bring back Marion.."

Spielberg:
"When Frank Darabont did his draft for me he introduced the idea of bringing Marion back... When David Koepp came in, Marion was one of the ideas I tenaciously held on to, that I wouldn't let go of, I insisted it be carried through."

Koepp:
"In Raiders you fell desperately in love with Marion, the fact that they ended up not getting together beyond Raiders was maddening.... Indy doesn't know it, but she is what he's been searching for during the past 20 years."

Zeppelin

Sometimes I've wondered what the series would've been like if they had made Indy and Marion into a sort of permanent partnership, appearing in every movie. She's easily my favorite Indy girl, but maybe it would've gotten stale after a while?

Nurhachi1991

Am I the only one that doesnt like Marion that much? I honestly liked Ms. Willie Scott better.

I liked the Indy movies just as they are with a different gal each time makes the wedding scene all the more memorable.

Lance Quazar

I'm glad they decided to revisit Marion. A great idea (albeit one that worked MUCH better on the page - Darabont's page - than in reality.)

However, I don't think I would have liked seeing Marion shoehorned into "Temple of Doom" or "Last Crusade."

I don't see how she could have been integrating into those films in anything approaching an organic manner.

Marion isn't an archaeologist and doesn't have any particular skill set which would make her relevant to the plot. She'd really just be a tag along (like Willie, but at least in her case, we buy why she happened to be there at that particular time and place.)

Robyn

Lance Quazar said:
Marion isn't an archaeologist and doesn't have any particular skill set which would make her relevant to the plot. She'd really just be a tag along (like Willie, but at least in her case, we buy why she happened to be there at that particular time and place.)

I always saw Marion with Indy as being a team/partner rather than any sort of a tag along.. She's always useful, helping and on guard, rather than a hindrance to Indy's mission

The Drifter

Nurhachi1991 said:
Am I the only one that doesnt like Marion that much? I honestly liked Ms. Willie Scott better.

I liked the Indy movies just as they are with a different gal each time makes the wedding scene all the more memorable.

No, you're not the only one. I never seen the big deal about Marion.

Robyn

I know there are people here who don't like Marion like I do... I'm just saying I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves Marion with Indy as much as I do and who wanted her in all the Indy's, even some people at the top(Spielberg & Koepp and probably Kasdan too)

pellman

I love Marion. And despite how cute she is in Raiders, somehow, I find old Marion in KOTCS even more lovable.

I liked the idea of making Temple of Doom a prequel, and hence without Marion, because at the time I got the idea that maybe Indy settled down after the Ark.

And generally, I try not to think about Last Crusade.

Robyn

pellman said:
And generally, I try not to think about Last Crusade.

I know.. they way they made Last Crusade take place AFTER Raiders was such a bummer... I wanted Marion LC of course but since it was without her I hate the fact that it took place after Raiders.. then they had to throw in Elsa just to sleep with all the characters(n) I don't hate Willie(just annoys me) I do however hate Elsa! I wish Marion would have gotten a chance to meet Indy's dad, I think he would have liked Indy with Marion..

Stoo

ronicle said:
I always saw Marion with Indy as being a team/partner rather than any sort of a tag along.. She's always useful, helping and on guard, rather than a hindrance to Indy's mission
Marion was definitely a "tag-along" in Raiders. Indy didn't want to get involved with her again but NEEDED the headpiece for the "mission". She basically blackmailed him into bringing her along. (Although the extra baggage did eventually blossom into something else...:p) She also proved to be a hindrance at Tanis when Indy decided NOT to cut her loose in Belloq's tent. Did you forget about that part, ronicle?

"This picture is not called The Temple of Roses. It's called The Temple of Doom. The warning is clearly marked on the box." - Steven Spielberg

"This is not another Raiders of the Lost Ark. We're making a new movie called Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom." - Steven Spielberg

ronicle said:
they way they made Last Crusade take place AFTER Raiders was such a bummer... I wanted Marion LC of course but since it was without her I hate the fact that it took place after Raiders.. then they had to throw in Elsa just to sleep with all the characters I don't hate Willie(just annoys me) I do however hate Elsa!
She slept with ALL the characters?:confused: Elsa ended up being a villain so if you "hate" her, then the character served the purpose. (If you "hate" the fact that "Crusade" takes place after "Raiders" then you will never be happy in IndyWorld.:rolleyes:)

Lance Quazar

ronicle said:
I know.. they way they made Last Crusade take place AFTER Raiders was such a bummer... I

What were they going to do? Make ANOTHER prequel? Set it in 1934, maybe? Only Harrison Ford would be nine years older playing two years younger? Huh?!

I wanted Marion LC...I wish Marion would have gotten a chance to meet Indy's dad, I think he would have liked Indy with Marion.

"Call Donovan. Tell him I'll take that ticket to Venice."

"I'll tell him we'll take two."

"Make that three! I'm going, too, Jones!"

"Marion, what are you doing here?"

"Housesitting for your dad. What's going on?"

"Dad's missing, we're going to Venice to find him."

"I'm coming, too!"

"Sorry, it's too dangerous. You stay here."

"But I'm your god damned partner!"

"Uh, not this time, I don't need your help."

"So unfair! Marcus gets to go!"

"He's an old man. He doesn't get out much."

LATER -

"I say, Indy, you were a little hard on Marion back there, weren't you?"

"You know what they say, Marcus. Whatever happens in Venice stays in Venice."

"Dr. Jones? I'm Dr. Elsa Schneider. Welcome to Venice."

"I see what you mean, Indy."

Stoo said:
She also proved to be a hindrance at Tanis when Indy decided NOT to cut her loose in Belloq's tent. Did you forget about that part, ronicle?

How was she a hindrance?

She kept the powers that be occupied while they were digging through the night, (thank God (;) )for the thunder as well).

If she didn't knock Frank out on the Wing, shoot the truck load of soldiers, hmmm I GUESS they could have written it differently...but she was more then just a tagalong.

pellman

I watched Raiders last week for the first time in years (and then three more times this week :D with my son) and I was rather shocked by Marion shooting all those soldiers. I didn't remember that.

That scene really needed a very quick "Holy S--t!" look on Indy's face as he sees all those soldiers fall over.

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
How was she a hindrance?
Indy (interrupting): "Marion...If I take you out of here now, they'll start combing the place for us."
Marion (gagged and muffled): "Jones, you gotta get me outta here! Jones! Jones! Are you crazy?
Indy: "Marion, I hate to do this...but if you don't sit still...and keep quiet...this whole thing is going to be shot."

Yes, she was instrumental in the Flying Wing scene but she did require some rescuing which sidetracked Indy from his actual "mission". (Not to mention the Well of Souls bit...Indeeeeeeeeee...the torch is going owwwww-t!)

Robyn

Lance Quazar said:
"So unfair! Marcus gets to go!"

"He's an old man. He doesn't get out much."

LOL That's pretty funny Lance ;)

Stoo said:
Marion was definitely a "tag-along" in Raiders. Indy didn't want to get involved with her again but NEEDED the headpiece for the "mission". She basically blackmailed him into bringing her along. (Although the extra baggage did eventually blossom into something else...:p) She also proved to be a hindrance at Tanis when Indy decided NOT to cut her loose in Belloq's tent. Did you forget about that part, ronicle?

Marion is the one who insisted on coming, but she ending up helping him. And no I didn't forget about that part, but that wasn't a hindrance:confused:

Stoo said:
She slept with ALL the characters?:confused: Elsa ended up being a villain so if you "hate" her, then the character served the purpose. (If you "hate" the fact that "Crusade" takes place after "Raiders" then you will never be happy in IndyWorld.:rolleyes:)

Well maybe she didn't sleep with ALL of them, but still...
I guess it couldn't have been possible to make it a prequal because of his age but Just because that fact bummed me out that doesn't mean I'm not happy in "IndyWorld"... They brought Marion back, I'm happy.

Stoo said:
Indy (interrupting): "Marion...If I take you out of here now, they'll start combing the place for us."
Marion (gagged and muffled): "Jones, you gotta get me outta here! Jones! Jones! Are you crazy?
Indy: "Marion, I hate to do this...but if you don't sit still...and keep quiet...this whole thing is going to be shot."

I still don't call that a hindrance... he told her to keep quite until he comes back for her and she did.. if anything she kept Belloq occupied while Indy had a chance at the Ark, she certainly didn't hinder the mission

Stoo said:
Yes, she was instrumental in the Flying Wing scene but she did require some rescuing which sidetracked Indy from his actual "mission". (Not to mention the Well of Souls bit...Indeeeeeeeeee...the torch is going owwwww-t!)

So she yelled at him a little, at least she didn't set off any traps or screw up anything

Stoo I'm starting to get the feeling you don't like Marion very much;)

Rocket Surgeon said:
she was more then just a tagalong.

For sure, she was much more than just a tagalong

Last edited:

Nurhachi1991

Wait if Indy would of brought Marion to Venice and met Elsa at the docks. Well lets just say Dr. Henry Walton Jones Jr. would of been one lucky man (y)