Gobler as Most Ineffectual Henchman Ever

Kooshmeister

Don't get me wrong. I love Gobler. Arguably moreso than Dietrich. I love the moment where he's standing astride the opening of the Well of the Souls (in front of Dietrich I might add) just sneering down at Indy. And I like that he was active enough to drive the troop car himself rather than just ride in back of it.

And yet...a breakdown of everything he does has made me realize he must have attained his rank because he's Dietrich's idiot nephew or something.

He's the flipside of Toht, neither menacing nor particularly intelligent. Not that he doesn't try. It is he who suggests they "ask" Marion about the medallion, but Dietrich had already thought about that ("My feeling exactly.") so Gobler's moment of inspiration was all for naught. That, or Dietrich was just trying to act like he'd also thought of it.

His idea of what constitutes "plenty of protection" for the truck carrying the Ark is also questionable. One car mounted with a machine gun and a motorcycle, and only seven soldiers in back of the truck itself (this may be all that could fit, but still, another truckload of guards would've been useful).

Gobler's performance in the chase that ensues is questionable, too. Now you have to remember that for whatever reason, he is doing the driving, not the gunner or the other, nameless officer riding with him, so, apart from the gunner's rather reckless disregard for the soldiers riding in the truck (he fires upon it no less than three times without concern for them, or the Ark), everything that goes wrong with this particular vehicle is entirely Gobler's fault.

Now, admittedly, for a while he does the best he can. It's not his fault that he slams into the back of the truck, and winds up with one of the soldiers on his hood, or that Indiana rams him off the road the first time. But it is after this that Gobler proves what an idiot he is.

Not only does he try to pass Indy a second time, he does so on the driver's side....the side he must certainly know is bordered by a giant gorge that makes the Grand Canyon look like a crack in the sidewalk (the goggles he's wearing must severely inhibit his periphreal vision). Even Belloq, while watching from the lead car up ahead, seems to be wondering what in the hell is going through Gobler's mind.

And he does this knowing Indy has already run him off the road once. So he has only himself to blame when Indy does just that, sending his car careering towards the gorge.

And here is Gobler's final, fatal mistake. He apparently forgets that automobiles have things called brakes. And instead of using them, he just throws his hands up and goes "Ahhhhh!" as he goes flying right off the cliff. As the car plummets down out of sight, if you look closely, the gunner and the other officer fall out, but Gobler doesn't.

So about the only smart thing he did, was remember to wear his seatbelt. :D

But I still love him. TO DEATH!!! Mwahahahaha.

Last edited:

Nurhachi1991

That is why he was a Henchman..............

Look at Mola Ram's Henchman they freaking polevaulted into the lava pit

Mickiana

At least as a henchman he had a name! Remember the henchman in Goldmember who didn't even have a name?

Kooshmeister

The one who tried to stop Nigel, but Nigel pointed out he didn't even have an ID badge like some of the other guys, so he might as well "just fall down." So the guy just looks sheepish and lies down on the ground.

oki9Sedo

He's barely in the film at all. He's mentioned by name once, and has two lines of dialogue., if you count "Ah, scheisse!" as a line.

Kooshmeister

He has five lines, actually, four of which are in German (although I only understand "Jawohl Herr Oberst!" and the aforementioned "Ah, scheisse!"). And Dietrich is also only called by name once (and by Sallah of all people), the rest of the time he's just "Colonel."

And, heck, Toht is never mentioned by name once, ever. Marion snidely calling him "Herr Mack" notwithstanding.

Anyway, saying Gobler is "barely in the film" is a bit odd. During the Tanis scenes, he's seen almost as much as Dietrich is. He just doesn't do or say anything that makes him stand out until he gets behind the wheel of the troop car and drives it in the chase (during which he makes the boneheaded mistakes mentioned above).

oki9Sedo

Kooshmeister said:
Anyway, saying Gobler is "barely in the film" is a bit odd. During the Tanis scenes, he's seen almost as much as Dietrich is. He just doesn't do or say anything that makes him stand out until he gets behind the wheel of the troop car and drives it in the chase (during which he makes the boneheaded mistakes mentioned above).

Exactly. He may be in a lot of scenes, but doesn't say or do anything. He's basically nothing more than an extra.

Mickiana

He's not exactly an extra either, that is, just someone in the background, but he's not in the foreground much either. He's sort of in-between. He's a non background extra henchman, I think...