Has Lucas fiddled with Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom?

Indyfan1981

We all know Lucas is fiddler not that doubt the guy can even play the string but with constant film foddering LOL enough is enough LOL.

Screen capture from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) one of the screen captures is taken from the NTSC laserdisc and the other from region 2 DVD.

Remember this sequence towards the end where Indy and rather nutty Mola ram are slugging it out with fist fight on dangling broken rope bridge, and Willie and Short-Round head upwards, while off to the right hand upper corner of the screen is plane flying overhead. Why didn?t Steven just yell CUT! And start again?

On the BIG SCREEN this really stuck out and no amount of wild sound effects could draw my attention to left of the screen. If you?ve seen this P&S panned and scanned chances are you?ll never notice it.

Some might say well done that plane has always been in my face, and some might what to continue their hatred crusade on the guy, for foddering around with originals. LOL :D

I know the image is bit mucky but you?ll see it when it?s in motion a small figure of plane moving across the top corner for a few short seconds.

IndinaJonesandtheTempleofDoom1984NT.jpg

IndinaJonesandtheTempleofDoom1984TH.jpg

martinland

Indyfan1981 said:
I know the image is bit mucky but you’ll see it when it’s in motion a small figure of plane moving across the top corner for a few short seconds.
Aha, never noticed that.
That's peanuts. So what?
It's a period plane in the movie. They do fly on these movies, you know... ;)

Indyfan1981

martinland said:
Aha, never noticed that.
That's peanuts. So what?
It's a period plane in the movie. They do fly on these movies, you know... ;)

If it was period why remove it from the DVD edition?

Indy's brother

Dewy9 said:
I'm all for little touch ups like this, if that is indeed what it is.

Agreed. Honestly, something like this seems right up there with digital remastering, or otherwise providing a cleaner shot. On a related note, I just watched Raiders on my xbox 360 through an HDMI connection on a 42" flatscreen. I was blown away by the crispness of the picture. Looked like HD to me!

Dr.Mirakle32

If you think that's bad, you should think about the color correcting they did on Raiders. I saw a 35mm screening of it earlier this years, and the color tinting looked pretty different, and much cooler in many of the scenes.

martinland

Dr.Mirakle32 said:
If you think that's bad, you should think about the color correcting they did on Raiders. I saw a 35mm screening of it earlier this years, and the color tinting looked pretty different, and much cooler in many of the scenes.
And the sad thing is, not many people all over the globe notice or care for that fiddling around with cultural heritage.

Except maybe Robert Harris & Co. (the film restoration expert of 'Lawrence of Arabia' or 'Spartacus'; on the latter Criterion DVD there's a demonstration showing the dramatic impact of doing colour correction as the director intended as opposed to none at all!!).

Another exception: The quite different appearance of Blade Runner in its Final Cut incarnation. Reason? Because for the first time Ridley Scott, the director, was even involved in colour timing for the home video market!
Strange world... :gun: :whip:

martinland

Indyfan1981 said:
If it was period why remove it from the DVD edition?
That's what I ask myself... ;)

There would have been more important issues to resolve, compositing-wise (don't get me wrong: I LLLLOve Temple of Doom's optical FX and models; the only things not quite right for today's standards are mostly compositing issues, the rest is a matter of taste; at the end of the day, it's just the FX; for "polished" FX without a good film and vice versa look no further than "The Day the Earth Stood Still" now and then - a very prominent and current, dreadful example).

Bye,
Martin