How are we feeling about geographic range?

Pretzel Logic

I'm a new member, so apologies if this has already been discussed somewhere - but I'm curious how people are feeling about the globe-trotting element of Indy 5.

To be clear, I'm unbelievably excited for this movie and have a huge amount of faith in Mangold. But based on what we know about the shooting locations, I will say I'm disappointed that we seem to be staying firmly in Last Crusade/Raiders territory (Western Europe + North Africa) and likely won't be seeing adult Indy in a new region of the world. (As awesome as seeing him in 60s NYC will be.)

Raiders: South America, campus, Nepal, Cairo/Egypt, Mediterranean island finale
Temple: Shanghai, India
Crusade: Utah, Portuguese coast, campus, Venice, Austria, Berlin, Turkey
Skull: Nevada, campus, Peru
Indy 5 (?): France, NYC, London, Morocco, Sicily

Of course, if the story is great and the locations are organic to the story, this will be a minor and wholly theoretical disappointment. But IMO, it'll be too bad if we haven't checked a new geographical box by this point in the series (especially after Crusade and Skull were repetitive on this to different degrees) - e.g. sub-Saharan Africa, southeast Asia, Pacific islands, Caribbean. Japan or Australia could have been cool.

Worth noting, though, that if the MacGuffin has anything to do with ancient Greece or Rome, that's obviously an iconic archeological period/location/vibe that the series hasn't tackled yet. And I'm heartened that they seem to be trying to do new kinds of set pieces (train, underwater).

Randy_Flagg

I'm just happy that they seem to be doing more globe-trotting this time around than they did in KOTCS. That movie felt a bit too "local" for an Indiana Jones movie, and while I enjoyed some of the set pieces in Peru, it wasn't quite enough (especially knowing that it was all filmed in the U.S.) And, as you pointed out, some of the set pieces for Indy 5 do look interesting/new.

A part of me always felt it would be interesting to see Indy in a more snowy climate. I know we had Nepal in ROTLA, but that was mostly indoors. I was thinking more along the lines of an outdoor adventure in a Nordic region, perhaps chasing after something from Norse mythology. But clearly that's not happening.

ValiumSky

I'm just happy that they seem to be doing more globe-trotting this time around than they did in KOTCS. That movie felt a bit too "local" for an Indiana Jones movie, and while I enjoyed some of the set pieces in Peru, it wasn't quite enough (especially knowing that it was all filmed in the U.S.) And, as you pointed out, some of the set pieces for Indy 5 do look interesting/new.

A part of me always felt it would be interesting to see Indy in a more snowy climate. I know we had Nepal in ROTLA, but that was mostly indoors. I was thinking more along the lines of an outdoor adventure in a Nordic region, perhaps chasing after something from Norse mythology. But clearly that's not happening.
And...