How did the Crystal Skull get out of the temple?

linus

One thing that really bugs me is that it never becomes clear what the aliens' intent with the crystal skull was in the first place. If it was stolen or lost, then why does it open the temple door like it was deliberately hidden somewhere to serve as a key? Was it the aliens themselves who built the temple door?

Does the novel give any answers to these questions or did you come up with any logical explanations yourself?

And yes, I do consider that the out-of-universe explanation may very well be that Koepp never thought it through thoroughly.

Edit: Just saw that there is already a similar thread ("Who stole the skull originally?"). But my post is actually aimed at a slightly different question. I should have phrased the title of the thread "What was the aliens' intent with the crystal skull?"

Last edited:

James

linus said:
If it was stolen or lost, then why does it open the temple door like it was deliberately hidden somewhere to serve as a key?

I think the implication here is that only the aliens could enter the inner sanctum, and the door operated much like an ID scanner. This is why Indy has to hold it so high above his head, because the aliens were much taller than humans. The novelization supports this theory, and goes a step further by suggesting the skull is subjected to something akin to a retinal scan.

The general idea is that the conquistadors attacked the city, massacred the Ugha, and fled with stolen treasure. My theory is that they encountered one of the aliens above the city, and simply chopped its head off. As Spalko says in the film, they are more powerful together than they could ever be apart. It's also logical to assume they were largely a non-violent race that was devoted to knowledge rather than conquest.

James

To answer your other question, the skull was never meant to leave the city. So the aliens' only intent was to have it returned.

TeamAndino

Raider S said:
Don't try to think about the plot so much, it will only make the movie seem that much sillier!

Well its an Indiana Jones movie and this IS a thread devoted to chatting about Indy...:p

deckard24

Good question!

• I'm wondering too how did the skull get out?
  • Who took it, Orellana?
  • How was it removed?
  • Were the aliens dead at that point and just skeletons? If so, and all their skulls were intact couldn't they just turn back on like they did at the end of KOTCS?
  • What are the aliens' life expectancies?
  • Was the skull taken from a live alien, who had his head lopped off by Orellana?
  • How did Orellana make it out of the temple throne room?
  • How did he get past the Ugha?
  • How did he get past the other aliens if they were still alive?

Now I'm just confused!LOL

Are there answers in the Rollins' novel?

Lonsome Indy

i think it was probably stolen, but i dont know if thats the right word. Spalko mentions that this particular alien is the one who is lost, so maybe some sort of conflict had happened resulting in its death or loss of skull. i do not know.

but if there was a conflict i'm sure that they aliens would had fled. if their treasure is knowledge, or knowing everything then im guessing that would make them non-violent. since rational reasoning has portrayed violence as something for brawn and not for brain.