I want this line to go on forever, but...

phantom train

I still haven't found the LC figures yet, but haven't given up hope. I have a feeling both the LC and TOD figures will be tough to find for most people this Fall, and I suspect that if Hasbro is smart, they will continue to ship them into 2009, maybe including select ones with the future ROTLA wave.

I can honestly say that the TOD figures are probably the ones I'm most looking forward to out of all the forthcoming figures I've heard about - I even suspect that they may be my favorites in the entire line, once I (hopefully) get them.

Uki

Wayofthedodo, I used to dream of that in the years that I was a hardcore SW collector, yearning for some Indy goodness. I was so excited when it was revealed that the same gang would be doing this line. Still, I think we just need to be patient as this line is suffering from a slight bout of "Phantom Menace Syndrome". Christmas (and the DVD release) should be a good help with this, and I believe that both waves (LC and TOD) should be easier to get afterward. (Of course, the hardcore fans-myself included-will do their best to track them down more quickly.)

ChromiumBlue37

Completely agree with UKI!

Hasbro can help rectify things and get the line back in full swing. They are not perfect geniuses in the marketing dept. The general public has two chances to help clear out the glut!

UIMJ

ChromiumBlue37 said:
Completely agree with UKI!

Hasbro can help rectify things and get the line back in full swing. They are not perfect geniuses in the marketing dept. The general public has two chances to help clear out the glut!

Maybe in the next Hasbro Q&A someone should suggest a shared sculpt for a figure between Brodey and some old Star Wars general or something. Even if it's only Brodey's head that's shared it might increase the chance of getting a fig....

Lambonius

UIMJ said:
Maybe in the next Hasbro Q&A someone should suggest a shared sculpt for a figure between Brodey and some old Star Wars general or something. Even if it's only Brodey's head that's shared it might increase the chance of getting a fig....

Actually, Brody's head is the only thing that I'd want to make sure was unique; the rest of the body is pretty inconsequential, as any old generic suit and tie sculpt (Cobra Commander, perhaps?) would work just fine. I'm pretty ignorant as to the costs of manufacturing these types of items, but I don't see why a simple unique head sculpt would cost that much to produce, especially if they only produced him in limited quantities as an exclusive or something.

Terence

ChromiumBlue37 said:
I will bet ANYTHING that a scuplted Brody head all ready exists at Hasbro.

i hope thats true,he has a certain look he gives indy when there both together in the classroom with one eye slightly closed and perplexed look on his face or it could be the crusade where hes smiling a lot more,i dont care just hope youre right,isnt the head sculpt on makelli stars figure similar but with a fatter face,that on a henry body with greying hair would look good.

Uki

And Hasbro could take that Rasta Aykroyd figure's head and give us an Earl Weber!:p

Yeah, I would be totally cool with Hasbro using a generic suit body for Marcus. They could reuse it for other characters like Donovan, Musgrove, (Eaton would be too skinny here), the FBI agents from KOTCS, and even Venic Indy. I'm easy to please! I agree with ChromiumBlue37: Despite their answers regarding the Marcus subject, I believe there is a sculpt hidden somewhere in their enclave at Pawtucket.

Well according to the latest Hasbro Q&A, things don't look too terribly optimistic. You can forget about deluxe mine car sets and that Henry Jones sidecar motorcycle next year. Hasbro has no plans to make them.

Cool Toy Review: Hasbro, the overabundance of figures on the pegs (especially Mutt Williams, either version,) and your relatively small display of figures at Comic Con, fears have popped up that the line is dying, and dying fast. We know that there is another Club Obi-Wan themed wave coming, could you maybe reveal that wave or at least not an Indy figure from it? Anything you can do to quell fears of premature death for the line.

Hasbro: While the size of the IJ collector base may not be as large as other brands, no doubt IJ fans make up for it in passion, and without that passion we could never have built out the line as broadly as we have. For that we are deeply appreciative.

Continuation of the IJ line into 2009 depends on several factors, including kid interest and support in IJ through the DVD/holiday period and willing support for retailers to extend the line into a second year. One question is how far we can get without entertainment support for a second year. As such, we do not want to show any figures beyond what we have already shown.

Cool Toy Review: If, hypothetically, you were to make the Rocket Sled from KOTCS, what price point would you place it in and what figures or features would it include? I would love to see this "vehicle" in the 20 dollar assortment with some track and maybe some spring loaded ejecting seats!

Hasbro: That would be the logical price point at which to do it. We did look at the vehicle but decided that it was not the most interesting one to pursue, and went with the Jungle Cutter instead, which turned out to be a great choice.

Cool Toy Review: With all the deluxe figure sets we've had for the first two waves (Raiders and Crystal Skull), why are there no deluxe figure assortments to accompany the Last Crusade and Temple of Doom waves? Sure, we have the German motorcycle and rider, which is a STUNNING set at that, but the Indy/Henry Jones Sr. motorcycle and sidecar sets are sorely missing to complete that great action sequence. Also, Indy on the stallion seems like a given since the horse tooling already exists.

For the Temple of Doom wave, fans have been clamoring for the mine cars for years. Not only is the tooling minimal, but it could also be used twice to cover both the hero and villain deluxe figure sets. A Thuggee sacrificial pit cage with Willie Scott also seems like a natural fit for this assortment.

Hasbro: Those are all natural fits for the Deluxe assortment, and were all considered at one point. However, it's unlikely that we'll be getting to these farther-out concepts next year.

Way of the dodo

Come on, hasbro. They should let the line go a few more waves to give it a fair shake. How can a summer of Mutts and googly eyes be a good measure of the line's potential? I got my Indy and Henry from toysrus.com, and they're really good. (and the cards are so blah, you walk right past them in the store. They really should have more individualized vintage type character cards)

You bring up an excellent point, Dodo. After TOD they should refresh the card design. They do this with Star Wars every year to keep retailers happy they have "fresh" product on the shelves. I hope the next Raiders wave is in all new card designs, preferably with individual character art like The 30th Anniversary Collection had. Those were slick.

ChromiumBlue37

Also posted this in the Hasbro Q & A thread -

All right, Hasbro states in the Q & A that the future of the line is up to the consumers. We have two opportunities to clear out this glut. The DVD release and the Holiday shopping season.

Now, we are not to blame as we have all bought up what we want and what we can find. At fault is Hasbro for the brainless case assortments and retailers, (specifically Wal-Mart), for the excess action figures stock at ridiculous prices with no promotional sales. As I said before, I am getting 4 Akator Playsets. 3 are for me and one is for my nephew. If possible I will purchase a fifth and donate it the local Mission.

The entire glut of non-selling action figures appears to be contained at Wal-Mart. Am I correct? Target and TRU seem to be moving their stock just fine. They also tend to use sales, (price reduction or buy two, get one offers), to move older stock. Wal-Mart is the one, pivotal retailer that has the most Indiana Jones toys that are not moving. Now here is my solution -

Call 1-800-Wal-Mart, select option 2 for customer, then press 1 for store experience, then press 1 again, then hold for a representative. I had to hold for quite a while. They ask your name and area and then ask what the situation is. Just told them I would really like to see a price rollback or a sale on the Indiana Jones action figures. I also explained that every Wal-Mart has too many of them and that they are too expensive for the parents and kids too afford. When they asked what location, I went down the list of every Wal-Mart store in the Chicago are and northern IL. As a zinger, I mentioned my almost daily Wal-Mart visits and that I come in for the figures but end up purchasing all of my groceries, household and auto goods while I am there.
If enough of us call from all over the States, maybe they will get the message. Be sure to mention all of the Wal-Mart stores in your area. Rattle off as many as you can think of and tell them that these figures are just sitting and need a price rollback.

thelaw

I agree. Wal-mart seems to be the grossest contributor. I've seen almost this exact scenario play out with the Pirates of the Caribbean 3.75 inch line from POTCS 3. The various stores order a respectable amount for the upcoming movie, but Wal-mart trumps them all by ordering in ridiculous volumes. The toy company then makes more of the same items in numbers that reflect this, so every time the other stores sell out and reorder, they receive the exact same items they just had (my Toys R Us finally got in a bunch more Indy basic figures...KOTCS-ARRGGHHH!!!!), which won't move because (a) Wal-mart has had the stuff for months, and (b) people who wanted the stuff have had their fill long ago.

Unfortunately, Wal-mart, as the biggest seller/orderer of toys, has become the dominant force in determining what product is getting out there, for good or ill.

And the amount of stuff I picked up for this line for customizing is staggering! I have so many old Indys for hatless young(er) Indys/deluxe Indys to move heads around, it's ridiculous. I was so excited for this line, and to see that it is almost dead is heartbreaking.