Ian McDiarmid in KOTCS, according to The "Daily Express"

Yure

I tried to locate with no luck, on the forum and on the web, the exact moment this rumour started. When and where has the speculation about Abner exactly initiated?

The Man

Yure said:
I tried to locate with no luck, on the forum and on the web, the exact moment this rumour started. When and where has the speculation about Abner exactly initiated?

I wondered that very thing yesterday. I think he was being mentioned even before Marion's return was announced, around the same time that Hurt was "definitely" playing Einstein.

The Man said:
I wondered that very thing yesterday. I think he was being mentioned even before Marion's return was announced, around the same time that Hurt was "definitely" playing Einstein.

It didn't surface when IndianaJones.com posted it under the Cast section and a member on the Raven posted about it with a screenshot as proof (that I also did not verify for myself).

It did not surface then because that never happened. That's only a figment of my vivid imagination, like Mola Ram's.

Right, Finn? ;)

Flannery10

I was the member who put the picture up, but the thread was closed so I kept my mouth shut about Ian McDiarmid's possible appearance until now.

The episode Paris, September 1916 was the one with Professor Levi in it, so that would make him around 100 in KotCS, considering he was probably 60 in the episode. Pretty old, but not an impossible age to reach. I doubt we'll see too much of him, though, if we see him, at all. But like Stoo said already, It
would be a link to the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

Personally, I dismissed the possibilty that John Hurt will really play Ravenwood and I think he will be the one playing Oaxley.

Maverick313

Y'all are right. If he's reprising his Young Indy role, he would probably look like Donovan right before he actually died.:dead: Maybe he's another character. Maybe he's good. Maybe he's bad. I'll bet he's a scholar of some type. I can only see him as a smart and/or sophisticated man. Remember him in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?

Michael24

Ian McDiarmid was in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels? I've never seen it, but I've never heard about him being in it before.

It would be cool to see him in KOTCS, though, either as his YIJC character or a new one. He's a terrific actor and was one of the few highlights of the Prequels for me.

Last edited:

The Man

Michael24 said:
Ian McDiarmid was in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels? I've never seen it, but I've never heard about him being in it before.

It would be cool to see him in KOTCS, though, either as his YIJC character or a new one. He's a terrific actor and was one of the few highlights of the Prequels for me.

He's great value. He played an absolute rotter in an episode of Inspector Morse.

Kingsley

If Ian McDiarmid plays Levi in KOTCS, then John Hurt plays Abner Ravenwood.
I saw them characterised this way together in "my vivid imagination".

The other possibility is a great setup, a covering strategy that, in my case, got me.

PS: nice that we can talk about Levis age again ;)

Yure

One thing that bothers me about the Abner thing is essentially that it would probably be a marketing flaw. The movie targets old fans but also young newbies who may even not know who Indiana Jones is. Referencing the past also needs to address that past, it's a movie, not a sequel of a serial. So I'm sure that the movie will go through what happened between Indy and Marion in the past. Doing this for Abner too (i.e. explaining who he is and why is related in someway to Indy) would be too much. The only way I could figure Abner is in a flashback regarding Marion.