Indy's gear

Jacko==

What is the consensus on whether Indy is supposed to be wearing the SAME coat, hat, whip, etc. throughout all his adventures? While watching "Kingdom" my daughter commented "that's the same hat he got when he was a kid". Is it supposed to be? I was thinking, after the nuclear bomb exposure, and decontamination, there's now way they gave him back his contaminated clothes. Does he have a closet full of the same outfits? Just wondering...

The Golden Idol

Well, the look slightly changes throughout each film (usually the fedora), so I don't think he only has one set of clothes. Besides, his shirt got ripped in TOD, so he must have replaced it, his jacket in Raiders had a bullet hole in it from the truck chase, so he must have replaced that, and there's a possibility that Indy lost his hat in Raiders. I guess he might have several of the same outfits.

caats

yeah everything changes a tad. belts, guns and the holster have all changed colors. i'm sure he's got loads.

caats

i can't say i ever noticed that the gun holster in LC is actually black until a couple days ago. i prefer the brown one from ROTLA and TOD.

The Golden Idol

caats said:
i can't say i ever noticed that the gun holster in LC is actually black until a couple days ago. i prefer the brown one from ROTLA and TOD.

Actually, it's the TOD one that's black. The LC one is brown.

deckard24

The one article that seems to be the same is his bag! Maybe I'm wrong, but in the special features they explained how they went through a great deal of detailing and weathering to get it to the same level of distress as the old bags. Of course it would have to be the bag from LC, since his TOD bag burned up by the power of Kali! I agree though that the rest of his outfit is just continually replaced. At the end of Raiders his gear was left on both the Bantu Wind and in the sub hangar on the island, and in TOD his jacket was left in the catacombs under Pankot Palace! The only film in which he kept his gear throughout was LC, so I guess it's possible the gear from KOTCS could be the same set?

Dewy9

I figured he was like Fred Flintstone and his entire wardrobe is full of beaten up bomber jackets, fedoras, etc.

Dr Bones

Umm...maybe it's just a film and the charatcer had a certain look they wanted to manitain (familiarity for the viewers of the sequels) and so continuity was just glossed over?:confused:

Seriously....;)

However..in the spirit of this thread....he acquired a fedora as a boy...jacket..whip..bag...etc. non of which would last too long due to bullet holes..abrasion on tank tracks...or being dragged along the ground by a truck..etc.

The hat and get up were "fashionable" and probably common place in the 30/40's...and so the "look" was maintained, through ease of availability, or even just personal tatse or superstition on Indy's part.

How many times do you find a perfect hat/coat etc? So why not buy identical ones again? Heck my GF buys shoes/clothes in every colour of a style she likes!!

Alternatively it was all the same kit that always came back into his hands before the next adventure required them and any damage was patched up with needle, thread and a splash of grail water...they don't make em like they used to!

Stoo

deckard24 said:
The only film in which he kept his gear throughout was LC, so I guess it's possible the gear from KOTCS could be the same set?
Well, he loses his revolver & holster during the snowstorm of "Mystery of the Blues" so they can't be the same.:p

Dr Bones said:
Umm...maybe it's just a film and the charatcer had a certain look they wanted to manitain (familiarity for the viewers of the sequels) and so continuity was just glossed over?:confused:

Seriously....:rolleyes:
Sure, we know that but are just having fun trying to make it all connect.:)

Billy Ray

deckard24 said:
The one article that seems to be the same is his bag! Maybe I'm wrong, but in the special features they explained how they went through a great deal of detailing and weathering to get it to the same level of distress as the old bags. Of course it would have to be the bag from LC, since his TOD bag burned up by the power of Kali! I agree though that the rest of his outfit is just continually replaced. At the end of Raiders his gear was left on both the Bantu Wind and in the sub hangar on the island, and in TOD his jacket was left in the catacombs under Pankot Palace! The only film in which he kept his gear throughout was LC, so I guess it's possible the gear from KOTCS could be the same set?

Actually, Indy has his jacket on at the end of TOD. Guess they went back for it.

deckard24

Billy Ray said:
Actually, Indy has his jacket on at the end of TOD. Guess they went back for it.
Yeah you're right, I forgot about that! Mola Ram must of had it hanging in his closet next to his other horned headdresses!;)

eazybox

The hat at least is supposed to be the same one throughout all his adventures. Harrison Ford confirmed this in a recent interview, but I can't remember where I saw it. His grey travelling hat, of course, is separate. Forgive me if this was already posted, as I don't have the time to go through all the posts.

Jack

Billy Ray

Attila the Professor said:
I think it had been in Shorty's bundle, wherever that ended up.

Exactly, it was in Shorty's bundle of "their stuff", along with Indy's tux which Willy has on again at the end of the movie...but Shorty didn't have the bundle on the rope bridge??? Guess it's a mystery.

Stoo

There was plenty of opportunity to go back and get their missing clothes. Plus, there's this from the novel:

"They rested a few days at the palace. The army collected many of the children, still hiding in the woods nearby,
and fed them and tended to their injuries. When all were strong enough to travel, Blumburtt sent a small contigent
of soldiers, with Willie, Indy and Shorty, to take the children home."

deckard24 said:
Along with his razor!
I don't think Indy ever had his razor. The line is to explain why is unshaven at dinner (giving us a grizzly Indy for rest of the film).

deckard24

Stoo said:
I don't think Indy ever had his razor. The line is to explain why is unshaven at dinner (giving us a grizzly Indy for rest of the film).

Grizzly Indy was my hero as a kid, and the reason I tried to shave at 8 years old, hoping that old wive's tale would come true!

Yeah you're probably right, he never had it, I was just kidding around though!

Chiliana Jones

it is the same hat:

Are we to believe that Indy has this indestructible hat that survives from adventure to adventure?

harrison:
Yes, you're supposed to believe that. That's why, when he takes it out of his closet, it's the same hat as last time, and it's the same whip, which he wears to match his "goin' digging" outfit. He has other hats for other occasions but he does wear that hat occasionally outside his archeological expeditions. He's wearing that hat at his wedding, though maybe you could call that another adventure.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/moviesfeature/dvd/harrison-ford/?GT1=28002&silentchk=1&

CJ