Indy's mom

HovitosKing

What exactly did Indy's mom die of? And when? Are these things mentioned in the YIJC? I know in LC Connery mentioned that she kept her illness from him and all he could do was mourn her. Is there a confirmed illness out there anywhere?

That?s a really good question. It was Spielberg's idea to introduce Indy's father. I always wondered why Spielberg chose to leave Indy's mum out of the story. In the making of Crusade, Spielberg mentions,"...lets see who gave birth to this guy, who inspired Indy?" Seeing as Spielberg omits Indy's mother from the story, it makes me think that Spielberg doesn't regard women very highly...

Last edited:

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
If I recall it was from a fever...its in an Young Indy episode.

She was left out of LC because she would have bogged the story down...not because Steven doesn't think less of women. Not to mention it gives answer to a bit of Indy's rough edge character, no mother around to smooth them out.

Aaron H said:
She was left out of LC because she would have bogged the story down...not because Steven doesn't think less of women.

Maybe her illness was depression and she commited suicide. Henry Jones Snr. was so obsessed with his search for the Holy Grail, that he didn't give a damn about his family...

Deadlock

Chattar Lal said:
I don't care for a second rate author's idea. I thought Indy's dad was a prick, so I reckon she killed herself.

Take it easy, Chatster. In Last Crusade, Henry Sr. distinctly says "She kept her illness from me."

Canyon

Indyologist is correct.

Taken from the Indy timeline from TIE:

May 1912
"Tragedy strikes the Jones family when Anna Jones contracts Scarlet Fever and dies."

VP

Moderator Emeritus
<i>I</i> am correct. I said it first.

Taken from the Indy Timeline from TR.N:

May 1912: Tragedy strikes the Jones family when Anna Jones contracts scarlet fever and dies.

HovitosKing

I can see Henry, Sr. as somewhat reserved and distanced from his family, but he's certainly not a "prick." Obsessed with his work, yes. What good academician isn't?

Indydan13

Isn't Indy obsessed with work? If he's not, why the three movies. I mean if someone doesn't care about work, even to die for it, than there is a level of obsession. In LC, Indy went after the cross that he went after when he was 13. "All my life". He was obsessed too. I think that was the point of the YI part of LC, to show a connection between the father and son. Both are obsessed with their work to a point. I think Henry was responsible, however, due to the fact that he wanted to travel the world and that caused her to come down with Scarlet Fever. If he was more of a father and less of a Scholar, she may have been alive. I don't think his obsession caused her death, only his priorities were out of whack.