Just noticed something ...

Routledge

... Can't believe I only just thought of this after all these years but just noticed, when watching Raiders again, that when Indy and Sallah are first visiting the map room, they pass several mine carts and workers pushing them on tracks.

Now, it is a known fact that Lucas had written the whole mine cart chase for Raiders but couldn't fit it in, thus putting it in TOD. So do you think that the set design for Raiders would have included this mine cart track if Lucas hadn't intended there to be a set-piece later on?

Michael24

I doubt there's a connection. The mine car chase was to occur on the island and not at Tanis, to be Indy and Marion's escape from the power of the Ark. So the mine carts at the Tanis dig probably still would have been there as they were just being used to haul away debris and rocks as the dig progressed.

IJ_KELLER

Great thought though. I knew the idea for the mine chase came up in Rotla, but I've never heard the Ark escape part before. Where did you find that?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
For one, it can be read in the script. Also, check out "Raiders of the Lost Drafts," which can be found someplace on theraider.net.

So, in all, the tracks at the dig site have no connection to the tracks that would have been used in the chase scene.

Indy4fan

Also, why did Donovan go through the trouble of kidnapping Henry Sr. to lure Indiana when he could've just gotten the grail map (or the grail itself!) from Henry. If "dad was onto something" in the library room, why not let him continue his research to find the mssing tablet? There was no need for Indiana's involvement.:confused:

The Golden Idol

Indy4fan said:
Also, why did Donovan go through the trouble of kidnapping Henry Sr. to lure Indiana when he could've just gotten the grail map (or the grail itself!) from Henry. If "dad was onto something" in the library room, why not let him continue his research to find the mssing tablet? There was no need for Indiana's involvement.:confused:

Because then Indy wouldn't have been in the movie. :D

Henry didn't know the name of the city was Alexandreta. Indy got that from the other half of the knight's shield in the tomb that was filled with rats which Henry despises.

Indy4fan

Agent Spalko said:
Henry didn't know the name of the city was Alexandreta. Indy got that from the other half of the knight's shield in the tomb that was filled with rats which Henry despises.
Yes but he could've sent Elsa to the tomb of Sir Richard and Donovan (if he went with them).

That's why Donovan sent Indy, so he wouldn't have to do all the work. The hallmark of a good villain (or boss... I guess both go hand-in-hand) is to make everyone else do all the work for you and you reap the rewards of their labor.

Tsar

I always thought the reason Donovan kidnapped Jones Sr. was because he was starting to suspect that he and Elsa were working for the Nazis. (i.e. She talks in her sleep.)

Indy4fan

Tsar said:
I always thought the reason Donovan kidnapped Jones Sr. was because he was starting to suspect that he and Elsa were working for the Nazis. (i.e. She talks in her sleep.)
no, Donovon "sold yer shoul to the shlime of humanity"