New GTA game

lucy

any gamers here? what do you make of the new GTS game?
Once again they have far far surpassed my expectations - WHAT an amazing game. As usual its very funny, super violent for those who like that stuff and looks very very pretty. The graphics are really stunning.
I cant wait to get home to get stuck into it.

Michael24

My brother picked it up after work yesterday, and we played some last night. So far it's okay. Neither of us care for the vehicle handling. Whenever we try to take a corner, the cars always do this action movie car swerve that spins almost all the way around, making it virtually impossible to hang corners smoothly during chases. The character also seems to run much slower than previous GTA characters and takes too long walking up/down stairs and climbing over things. A real pain when people are after you. We like being able to just free roam and have run in a GTA game, but that's made more difficult now because to enter cheats you have to dial numbers on the cell phone, and the game doesn't pause when you do that, so it's impossible to clear your wanted meter when cops are shooting at you unless you're a super fast dialer.

Visually, the game is just mind-blowing. I especially love the RPG explosions, and the way the screen goes to a stylized slow-motion black-and-white when your character gets killed. Some of the stuff you can watch on TV is hysterical.

I guess it'll take some getting used to, but so far I think it's just okay. The previous ones, especially San Andreas, are still tops for me.

Katarn07

I think the GTA games are overrated, but I went out and bought GTA IV anyways. I think the city and the characters made me do it. So far, I'm loving Niko. He's pretty lovable for a criminal, something I can't say about GTA III or Vice City (I never played San Andreas).

I agree about the driving portions and running too slowly. What little combat I've had hasn't been too bad. I've popped a few guys with the hand gun and am pleased with the aiming/cover system.

lucy

Yeah I find driving the car is hard alright but I reckon it will get easier with time. and yeah its farily annoying that you have to keep pressing the button to run but its the kind of game you have to play for a good while to really get into the flow of it. I still have to look at the fecking instructions so see what button Im pressing.

Nurhachi1991

its a perfect game

the handling is like forza 2 on the xbox 360 its supposed to be realistic which is awsome

Niko is a great character and Roman cracks me up he is like Borat

and the game is only as violent as you make it

i pulled an Indy and shot a guy that was about to knife me :D

DocWhiskey

GTA III blew my mind years back. I rented Vice City and bought San Andreas from my friend for $5. Both weren't that great to me. They were basically all the same. BUT GTA IV looks different. And with most gaming mags/websites gving it A's, 10/10, and 5/5, I think it's a next gen must. I'll wait for the hype to die down, and pick it up next week.

Iandiana

Just finished my first play. I love it despite a few minor issues. No offence but I don't like playing as an eastern european fellow, similarly I couldn't play San Andreas because I didn't feel I associated with the character in any way. Although I bet people of other races and countries felt it difficult to play as a white american guy in the other games i suppose.

Personally I prefer Vice City. Mainly because I'm a lame 80's guy anyway so I totally dug the sights and sounds that game had on offer. In GTAIV the car handling has been tricky to work out but I take corners much better now. Just got drunk with my cousin and the shaky camera as I drove away was a little TOO convincing. I seriously felt drunk and almost threw up. I doubt I'll be boozing again soon.

lucy

Nurhachi1991 said:
and the game is only as violent as you make it

yeah thats true but I just cant resist being violent! that game really can show what an evil streak I have.

No Ticket

I haven't played GTA since GTA III came out. I've heard lots of talk about how great the series is, and I agree that GTA III was awesome back in it's day. What, 2001/2002?

This isn't absolutely true. I did play a few hours worth of San Andreas, that I borrowed from someone. But I never got that far into the game and I didn't feel like it was that much better or different than GTA III. Nothing that really captured my attention anyway.

But I keep hearing from everyone that this is the best game ever and the best GTA game... so I'm probably going to end up buying this one. I hope it ends up being worth it. I'm not sure if I should get the PS3 or 360 version. Is there really a difference? I mean in the graphics?

lucy

No Ticket said:
But I keep hearing from everyone that this is the best game ever and the best GTA game... so I'm probably going to end up buying this one. I hope it ends up being worth it. I'm not sure if I should get the PS3 or 360 version. Is there really a difference? I mean in the graphics?

Ive only seen it on the PS3 - I think its worth the money anyway
personally I wouldnt say its the best game of all time.for me the nintendo beast that I am, that title has to go to Zelda: A link to the Past on the SNES.

Michael24

Iandiana said:
Just finished my first play. I love it despite a few minor issues. No offence but I don't like playing as an eastern european fellow, similarly I couldn't play San Andreas because I didn't feel I associated with the character in any way. Although I bet people of other races and countries felt it difficult to play as a white american guy in the other games i suppose.

I don't have much of a problem playing Niko or CJ just because they're a different race from me. As long as I find them to be interesting characters, I dig them. I do like Niko so far, and CJ is my second favorite, right behind Tommy Vercetti.

Iandiana said:
Personally I prefer Vice City. Mainly because I'm a lame 80's guy anyway so I totally dug the sights and sounds that game had on offer.

Yeah, Vice City was just about the perfect video game for his nutty '80s aficionado. Nothing beats cruising up and down that South Beach-esque stretch at night with "Crockett's Theme" playing on the radio. (y)

Iandiana

Michael24 said:
Yeah, Vice City was just about the perfect video game for his nutty '80s aficionado. Nothing beats cruising up and down that South Beach-esque stretch at night with "Crockett's Theme" playing on the radio. (y)

I used to sit up till 4 in the morning just cruising round to 80's tracks doing absolutely NOTHING but driving and listening to the tunes. Probably would do it for real if I could drive!

lucy

Iandiana said:
I used to sit up till 4 in the morning just cruising round to 80's tracks doing absolutely NOTHING but driving and listening to the tunes. Probably would do it for real if I could drive!

Hee hee hee
I think the variety of tunes on the new one is really good. Iggy Pop and Juliette Lewis both doing DJ spots. and a whole station devoted to bob marley. Sweeeet.

Iandiana

lucy said:
Hee hee hee
I think the variety of tunes on the new one is really good. Iggy Pop and Juliette Lewis both doing DJ spots. and a whole station devoted to bob marley. Sweeeet.

I almost choked when I heard Ricky Gervais. That man gets EVERYWHERE! I looked through the cast listing and missed the good old days... Ray Liotta, Joe Pantoliano, Ken Foree, Kyle Maclachlan, BURT REYNOLDS! Where are the big names?

Michael24

Yeah, I was surprised by the lack of a name cast, though maybe it in order to sink more money into the visuals?

Not crazy about the radio stations in this game, though. Judging from the booklet, looks like too much hip-hop, reggae, and the like, with only one classic rock station. I San Andreas and especially Vice City had the best music.

Nurhachi1991

its one of the top 5 best games i have ever played........ the other 4 are indy games :D

but gta 4 uses the Euphoria physics which is what the new indiana jones game will be using so play gta 4 to get a sneak peak

No Ticket

lucy said:
Ive only seen it on the PS3 - I think its worth the money anyway
personally I wouldnt say its the best game of all time.for me the nintendo beast that I am, that title has to go to Zelda: A link to the Past on the SNES.

I'd have to agree with you on that... or at least say it was Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I love each and every one of those LOZ games!

Katarn07

Michael24 said:
with only one classic rock station.

Yeah, that's all I listen to and found the selection pretty sparse. I wish they allowed you to do custom soundtracks like some games did on the XBOX. Can you or not?

I dunno if I'm happy with this purchase. I've hardly played the game. I finished the semester today so perhaps I'll find myself going to it a bit more often in the coming weeks. But usually great games usually have me hooked from the getgo (Oblivion > Mass Effect > GTA IV)

Iandiana

Katarn07 said:
Yeah, that's all I listen to and found the selection pretty sparse. I wish they allowed you to do custom soundtracks like some games did on the XBOX. Can you or not?

Haven't tried it yet but if you have music saved on your xbox360 or plug in an ipod you should be able to play your own or unlock the option. Don't quote me on it.