Questions about Fanboys fighting their franchise. (long)

StoneTriple

As members of online forums, we?re all familiar with the term Fanboy. It?s most often used as a slur, and I suppose I can see why. Nothing wrong with passion, but remaining a little grounded never hurts either. Besides this board, I?m on three other boards regularly. All are boards covering long-running ventures, each with all manner & generations of fans. I?m also on several motorcycle boards, but they don?t really fall in with the type of behavior I?m discussing. I?m also going to leave out trolling & baiting because that?s beyond the scope of my question.

Anyone with any time-in on a board knows there are fans who consider themselves purists, true, original, etc. The discussions can get heated, passionate, & sometimes angry. Again, I understand that level of devotion when there is such an emotional connection to an entity. None of us would be here in the first place if we weren?t moved by the character Indiana Jones. Same for the other boards as well.

Members will often readily defend the franchise if they feel it?s being unfairly attacked or misunderstood. If they get a little too zealous, they start to be seen as exhibiting Fanboy behavior, or if they step into fanaticism ? they?re full-on Fanboys. Again, I get all that. I don?t provoke other posters because that?s not why I?m here. I do, however, find it very interesting.

We?re all familiar with at least a couple of Fanboys that were around here for a while. One was so dug-in that he started to call out fans of Kingdom as not actually being fans at all. He followed certain people around the board and provoked them ? as if he were trying to rid the board of fans who were wrong, who were damaging his altered world. He was fighting a war that can't be won - a war against reality.

Like a similar poster on the Star Wars board, they try to state opinions as fact, call for boycotts, denounce the current state of the franchises, and most often - try to revise history by claiming certain films are real, while others are not. They seem especially locked-in on the word true. They?re true fans, others aren?t, certain films are true, others are not, this is canon, this isn?t, etc, etc. That?s about the time they go on my ignore list.

Now, for the record, I'm a life-long Star Wars nerd. There are tons of things I don?t dig about Star Wars, so I get the disappointment. However, I?m aware that the parts I don?t like actually do exist. So, I ignore them - don't watch, don't buy. However, I don?t try to alter the space\time continuum or call for a universal rejection by fans ? as though that will somehow cancel out their existence. I?m very dug-in myself where my thoughts are concerned, but I?m not fighting a war. I?m just a fan with certain preferences. I?m a life-long 007 nerd, but I didn?t like Quantum Of Solace ? at all. So, I watched it once, posted a few thoughts on the 007 board, and moved on. Maybe the next one will be better. It doesn't ruin the past.

However, (in my best Capt Picard voice) ?there is a new faction? of Fanboy. The Fanboys so dug-in that they hate a film before they ever see it. They know for certain that the franchise is ruined just by the director, the cast, the writers, etc. They declare war on their own kind. They anxiously await the new film ? just so they can spend hours a day trashing it. They treat the thing like it?s a virus trying to infect the organism (franchise). All of this ? without having seen the film. Man, the worst yet has to be the Fanboy hate\war on the new Star Trek film. Truthfully, it?s fascinating behavior.

What drives a fan to that level of devotion? When do they separate from reality at that level and turn against the very thing they've sworn to protect? Their hate seems to feed on itself to a point where they can?t let it go. It becomes their identity.

I guess my real question is this: If they haven't even seen the new film in a series, what's really driving their hate?

Agent Crab

I have experinced fangirls and fanboys. Some are good, some are just downright annoying as hell. It don't have to be about movies... I have seen video game fanwanks act violent towards other people for opinions.

Real fans don't act overly protective over their favourited series. A real fan would pretty much share his or her view on a franchise and engange in debates and arguments and give their side on what they feel.

Real fans do get annoyed by fanwanks in a sense, though. Considering most fanwanks are biased in a sense.

I call most fanboys and fangirls fanwanks, since fangirls can be JUST as bad as the fanboys.

Fanwanks tend to stick to their own fandom, try to argue with other people and proclaim it's glory. That or they say this character is good or this character sucks. I even seen some wild fanwanks, mainly girls who claim they marry the said character and acting like utter morons.

I know one fangirl of a series I like who pretty much is a bad name to the real fans.

Indy's brother

Purely speculation here, but I think that a hardcore fan projects themself onto the persona of their hero, and vice versa. Why do you think people like to dress up as their heroes? Because that fan feels as though they are a part of each other, that there is some real but unseen link between themself and their hero. Therefore, if they feel that their favorite character is being portrayed in a way that does not suit their individual view, it feels like a personal attack.

Why would someone attack their own franchise of choice before giving it a chance? Another guess here. Once someone has established their perceived place in their fantasy universe, any change to it, unless made specifically around their individual tastes, threatens to disrupt their sense of well being concerning their hero and therefore to their own identity.

Of course, a healthy-er way to do this would be to idolize a hero that you could actually become: doctor, construction worker, firefighter, etc. Then you can be a master of your own sense of self. Of course, that's not as exciting as superheroes, outer space, etc. But many people are dissatisfied with their lot in life, and as a result, need a fantasy to believe in.

It all sounds depressing, I know, but so is the sight of a 40 year old man dressed up as a jedi.

Agent Crab

There is some 20 year old girl who claims she married a fictional character. That is pretty crazy in a sense.

Goonie

I guess I would consider myself a fanboy-lite in comparison to what others do. One thing I don't do, is dress-up in costumes and go to various events or movie premiers like that. Ok, I haven't done it... yet.

I am a fan of Star Wars, Star Trek, 007, Jurassic Park, BTTF, Goonies, and of course Indiana Jones; basically anything in the action/adventure/sci-fi genre.

When the Star Wars Special Editions came to theaters in the 90s, I was one of those crazy individuals eagerly awaiting for the Phantom Menace to come out. I was one of those that had to get all the promotional items and as many toys as my budget would allow. It may have been the outcome of Episode 1, or this little video:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ugk37TvIR8E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ugk37TvIR8E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nCtz4trJr_g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nCtz4trJr_g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

that I took a moment to step back and take a break from Star Wars. I actually haven't bought anything from Star Wars since 1999. It's been ten years, and my interest has actually started to creep back a little bit. Maybe it has something to do with accepting Episode 1 a little bit more.

On the other hand, in the Indiana Jones universe, it's thanks to Indy that sparked my intrest in history. And it's probably why I have more interest in Indy than Star Wars.

Like someone mentioned on this board (somewhere in another thread), having all the promotional products, toys, etc. out on display makes your place look like a 12 year-old's bedroom, which, well it kind of does. I recently started looking at the various prop replicating forums and that sparked my interest a little. Maybe it is a more serious, mature approach if you want to immerse yourself in your favourite universe. However, I still don't know if I'll be dressing up as a Stromtrooper though.;)

Last edited:

StoneTriple

Indy's brother said:
Why would someone attack their own franchise of choice before giving it a chance? Another guess here. Once someone has established their perceived place in their fantasy universe, any change to it, unless made specifically around their individual tastes, threatens to disrupt their sense of well being concerning their hero and therefore to their own identity.

I guess that's really it. They become so locked-in to the fantasy that they are unable to accept any change to it. Man, the fellow that was on here for a while was so specific in his "needs", that months in advance of Kingdom's release he was already forecasting what he wasn't going to be able to accept.

And the drama with these guys - "God...please don't let Indy get married...that will absolutely ruin the franchise" - " Indy rode of into the sunset" - "he never had a child" - "his father didn't die" - "they all rode off into the sunset" - "that's the real, true ending" - "they rode off into the sunset". Get a hold of yourself people.

What seems so surreal, to me anyway, is the level of hate & venom with which they'll turn on the franchise if it doesn't go the way they need it to. Again - even before they see the film. The pre-hate is what seems so strange to me.

They remind me of the Kathy Bates character in Misery - they have to hobble the thing they fantasize about to keep it from escaping - in this case the escaping is the character changing.

It was a little weird with Kingdom, but the fanboys living in denial were very few in number. However, last year's hateful fanboys don't hold a candle to the Star Trek fanboys that are turning on the new film.

Strange stuff, man.

Last edited:

StoneTriple

Goonie said:
I guess I would consider myself a fanboy-lite in comparison to what others do. One thing I don't do, is dress-up in costumes and go to various events or movie premiers like that. Ok, I haven't done it... yet.

I am a fan of Star Wars, Star Trek, 007, Jurassic Park, BTTF, Goonies, and of course Indiana Jones; basically anything in the action/adventure/sci-fi genre.

When the Star Wars Special Editions came to theaters in the 90s, I was one of those crazy individuals eagerly awaiting for the Phantom Menace to come out. I was one of those that had to get all the promotional items and as many toys as my budget would allow. It may have been the outcome of Episode 1, or this little video:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ugk37TvIR8E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ugk37TvIR8E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nCtz4trJr_g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nCtz4trJr_g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

that I took a moment to step back and take a break from Star Wars. I actually haven't bought anything from Star Wars since 1999. It's been ten years, and my interest has actually started to creep back a little bit. Maybe it has something to do with accepting Episode 1 a little bit more.

On the other hand, in the Indiana Jones universe, it's thanks to Indy that sparked my intrest in history. And it's probably why I have more interest in Indy than Star Wars.

Like someone mentioned on this board (somewhere in another thread), having all the promotional products, toys, etc. out on display makes your place look like a 12 year-old's bedroom, which, well it kind of does. I recently started looking at the various prop replicating forums and that sparked my interest a little. Maybe it is a more serious, mature approach if you want to immerse yourself in your favourite universe. However, I still don't know if I'll be dressing up as a Stromtrooper though.;)

My question isn't really levels of fandom. People collect all kinds of stuff. I have an Indiana Jones t-shirt, a Star Wars teaser one sheet from 1977, and a Star Wars lunch box, also from 1977. Most everyone has a little something. It's more the hatefull fanboys that seem so fascinating.

That Triumph gig - I've seen it a number of times. Absolutely hilarious.

Goonie

StoneTriple said:
That Triumph gig - I've seen it a number of times. Absolutely hilarious.

And the best part, when Spock comes out and he's flipping the bird to the Star Wars crowd. (y)

Hard to believe that clip is 7 years old now, when Episode 2 came out. Wow time sure flies.