So...who DID create that neat looking RAIDERS title design?

Adam McDaniel

This topic was mentioned in The Indycast thread, but I felt it warranted a new one for the uninitiated...

During my recent interview with The Indycast, host Ed Dolista and I wondered who it was that created the legendary title design for RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. I had speculated that it might have been Richard Amsel...but now, after all these years, I finally have a definite answer, and wish to do my part to get the word out.

raiders_title%20copy.jpg

The logo -- whose typeface, like the film itself, has become so commonly associated with action and adventure -- was the product of Mike Salisbury, and the final coloring was done by Willardson White.

When I asked Salisbury if he wanted to comment on his work, he kindly referred me to his book, I Sold Sex! Drugs & Rock 'N' Roll, which chronicles his career and many, many creative achievements. I wholeheartedly look forward to reading it.

ISSDRR_book.jpg

From his website:

Salisbury is recognized by his peers as one of the leading talents in American brand design and the man behind the imprint on a multitude of diverse products from Halo-the world's most popular video game, Michael Jackson's white glove, Rolling Stone, Surfer and Playboy magazines, O'Neill and Gotcha surfwear, Levi's 501 jeans (a brand that Salisbury created) along with some of the world's most recognized corporate branding and product design for companies like Volkswagen, Suzuki, Honda and Hasbro--the biggest toy company in the world.

His work is everywhere in the motion picture industry. Mike helped created marketing campaigns for over 300 movies including Aliens, Jurassic Park, Romancing The Stone, Raiders of The Lost Ark and Moulin Rouge. In the film The People vs. Larry Flynt, Flynt defends the First Amendment based on a concept Mike Salisbury created for Hustler magazine.

The exploding boxing gloves that interpreted Rocky IV to the world ? a Salisbury image so hot it became the visual symbol for the film that didn't need the title for identification. This visual metaphor became Salisbury's most copied graphic. George Lucas collects Salisbury's work and recommended him to Francis Ford Coppola who used Salisbury imagery creations in Apocalypse Now.

His music industry work includes creating album covers for George Harrison, James Taylor, Randy Newman, Rickie Lee Jones, Ry Cooder, and Ike & Tina. Mike developed branding identities for Blue Note Records, RCA, United Artists Records and PolyGram. Mike has a Grammy for album design.

Dewy9

It's such an iconic design and really captures the '30's look.

Can anyone possibly post the other potential design candidates? I remember seeing them once here and I remember there being about 6 of them.

indyrocks1936

That was very interesting! I've always wondered who did the font. Does anyone here know how to get it on a computer? I'm just curious. And thanks a head of time if anyone does. :hat:

Henry

Dewy9 said:
Can anyone possibly post the other potential design candidates? I remember seeing them once here and I remember there being about 6 of them.

Logosmall.jpg

I would like to know who did this concept arts and if they were planned to become a movie poster:

2994423092_060f4b8c42.jpg

Adam McDaniel

Henry said:
Logosmall.jpg

I would like to know who did this concept arts and if they were planned to become a movie poster:

2994423092_060f4b8c42.jpg

I believe those were done by Tom Jung, who did the first STAR WARS poster, as well as a poster for EMPIRE.

Henry

Originally Posted by Dewy9

Sorry,the picture didn't showed up in my last post. There is:
logosmallb.jpg

Adam McDaniel

Credit where credit is due

In my post about the logo, I completely forgot to mention that it was Pat dePoortere -- aka Pat from "The Indycast" -- who informed me that Salisbury was the creator.

Sorry about leaving you out, Pat! You solved a great big mystery for us! :hat: