The Boss and his Wrecking Ball

Anyone here a Springsteen fan?

Would be interested to know which tracks I should listen to which define Bruce at his song writing best. He's wrote so much great stuff (solo and with the E street) it's hard to pin down the high lights!

BruceSpringsteen02PA090812.jpg

Can anyone suggest which particular tracks warrant my attention. And why?

I saw him recently on the Wrecking ball tour and heard 'Rosalita' for the first time ever in it's 'live' format, it reminded me of Manfred Manns 'Blinded By the Light' which Bruce also performs, and now I just can't can't stop playing it!

Please don't suggest 'Born In The USA'. I know most of you folk are fanatical patriots but it's not his greatest moment. Not by a long shot.

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
It doesn't take a surgeon to recognize that Brilliant Disguise rockets Springsteen to the top of the charts, now does it.

His music spans four decades. There's a lot of fayre to choose from. Today I have been listening to Darkness on the Edge of Town.

But, why oh why, are my bad links as palatable as bad dates..?

How do I preview an image/url in advance prior to posting them to make sure they gel. They display perfectly well from their original source. Are my choices being filtered or is the Raven server xenophobic?

Montana Smith

Gekkos Big Baws said:
But, why oh why, are my bad links as palatable as bad dates..?

How do I preview an image/url in advance prior to posting them to make sure they gel. They display perfectly well from their original source. Are my choices being filtered or is the Raven server xenophobic?

Hit the 'Preview Post' button next to the 'Submit Reply' button?

Sure you have
after the address?

As for Bruce? Well, he's unpalatable to me.

Thanks Montana. Clever word play your user name is. It's like a B movie adventure character. :whip:

I thought I had applied the science necessary. I guess the task must be above my pay grade. I'm such a blonde sometimes.

Why would the server not recognise some images/url then? I just don't understand what would justify a bad link.

Montana Smith

Gekkos Big Baws said:
Thanks Montana. Clever word play your user name is. It's like a B movie adventure character. :whip:

Nowadays it's also very similar to a C movie character.

To quote myself and others...

Smiffy said:
I didn't put a lot of thought into it as I didn't expect I'd be sticking around that long.

Montana Smith is a name I've had in mind for many years. I can't remember where I first read the references to 'Montana' and 'Smith', but they popped up in the Story Conference Transcripts:

GEORGE LUCAS : Maybe he came from Montana.

GEORGE LUCAS : Indiana Smith. It has to be unique. It's a character. Very Americana square.

Gekkos Big Baws said:
I thought I had applied the science necessary. I guess the task must be above my pay grade. I'm such a blonde sometimes.

Why would the server not recognise some images/url then? I just don't understand what would justify a bad link.

Photobucket warned me yesterday that I was approaching the monthly bandwidth limit. So I tried out some other image hosting sites.

Image Shack was hopeless. The links wouldn't work, even though there was nothing at all wrong with them. Sometimes I wonder whether it isn't your pay grade but the peanuts they give to the monkeys on the other end.

(Imgur.com looks like a good alternative, however).

Pale Horse said:
It doesn't take a surgeon to recognize that Brilliant Disguise rockets Springsteen to the top of the charts, now does it.

There's a hidden message in there. You don't even have to play it backwards.
FIREdevil.gif

The Drifter

Montana Smith said:
Photobucket warned me yesterday that I was approaching the monthly bandwidth limit. So I tried out some other image hosting sites.

Image Shack was hopeless. The links wouldn't work, even though there was nothing at all wrong with them. Sometimes I wonder whether it isn't your pay grade but the peanuts they give to the monkeys on the other end.

(Imgur.com looks like a good alternative, however).

I use Tinypic. Best image hosting site I've found.

Montana Smith

The Drifter said:
I use Tinypic. Best image hosting site I've found.

I have Imgur.com as my back-up at present. (It's ad-free, unlike PB and Tinypic).

In order to alleviate the problem I've been deleting some old linked photos - the kind which are relatively inconsequential.

I found the biggest culprit to be a Family Guy pic of Peter standing by the 'Do Not Push Buttton'!

At the very least this thread diversion is wrecking the boss's balls!

I found the problem with the picture. The address was messed up:

http://http//static.nme.com/images/gallery/BruceSpringsteen02PA090812.jpg

should be

http://static.nme.com/images/gallery/BruceSpringsteen02PA090812.jpg

Stogie for Montana

Am impressed as that image is just Boss awesomeness.

But how do you have access to the URL I posted? and how did you know that the alpha numeric data needed such a minor tweek?

You and your super brain/computer.

Montana Smith

Gekkos Big Baws said:
But how do you have access to the URL I posted? and how did you know that the alpha numeric data needed such a minor tweek?

You and your super brain/computer.

I merely right-clicked on the remains of your noble attempt and looked at the address. ;)

There was an extra unnecessary 'http//'.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Gekkos Big Baws said:
Please don't suggest 'Born In The USA'. I know most of you folk are fanatical patriots but it's not his greatest moment. Not by a long shot.

I wouldn't believe everything Ronald Reagan tells you.

An excerpt from the linked to piece:

George Will and Reagan?s speechwriters had misinterpreted Springsteen?s music. True, they may have mistook the energy of the song and its rousing chorus for a kind of pro-America flag-waving, when actually the message was about how the system beat people down, and in the case of ?Born in the U.S.A,? a local guy who goes off to fight in Vietnam, and returns to find no job, no hope, no respect. It?s the working class disconnected from government and certainly from foreign policy. Springsteen would later explain that the song is about a working-class man in the midst of a spiritual crisis, trying to find his way: ??It?s like he has nothing left to tie him into society anymore. He?s isolated from the government. Isolated from his family?to the point where nothing makes sense.? At the time of George Will?s column, some who had read his thoughts on Springsteen?s music took exception to his interpretation charging that he was trying to refashion Springsteen as a ?hero of the right.? Yet there are strains of patriotic craving in the song. Some social scientists have scored ?Born in the U.S.A.? as a lamentation on the loss of true national pride and a critique of a hollow patriotism? a cry for a patriotism that was once there but no longer exists.

roundshort

Gekkos Big Baws said:
Anyone here a Springsteen fan?

Would be interested to know which tracks I should listen to which define Bruce at his song writing best. He's wrote so much great stuff (solo and with the E street) it's hard to pin down the high lights!

Can anyone suggest which particular tracks warrant my attention. And why?

I saw him recently on the Wrecking ball tour and heard 'Rosalita' for the first time ever in it's 'live' format, it reminded me of Manfred Manns 'Blinded By the Light' which Bruce also performs, and now I just can't can't stop playing it!

Ok I realize I am being baited here and I am taking it and running with it. Did you really say "Blinded by the Light was Manfred Mann's?" and Bruce also "preforms it?" JESUS H. Christ what a dill hole. Please at least do a search and see that M. Mann covered the song...

sounds like another DOUCHE in the night....

And mods do we really need a guy whose name is Big Baws here? really? What's next Big Johnson?

Rock n' Roll Wreckin' Baws

Roundshort you are quite the pedant.

Let me unburden you of your anxieties that hold you in a state of flux before you trip over your lower mandible, elongated tongue and dragging knuckles that hinder your ugg boots. I made reference to their *version* of BBTL sounding akin to Rosalita.

i.e Relevant to timbre, tone, texture and general atmosphere - even down to phrasing and couplets.. Or in Short, to the uninitiated ear, the 'production'.

And I don't ever recall mentioning anything about "preform" [sic.]. Maybe you are confusing it with body form. Known to give some people confidence. Even on their heaviest days. So put a plug in it would you?

But hey, who am I to draw unwarranted attention on such inconsequential details such as keypad typos that are really not worthy of petty debate or pointless scrutiny?

Life is too short Short.

Re; Johnson: I had a woodwork teacher at High School that shared the very surname. But from where I am from ( a long way from you I am sure - in mind -as well as spirit) it doesn't qualify as a reference to the male genitalia. Americanisms are strange bastardisations of the English language that we adopt like lost sheep. Or a distant cousin...twice removed.

But we do await for Johnson Jr. with anticipation, who waits in the wings at a maternity ward, eager to be a character in the forthcoming Little Lebowski. Or Lebowski ; Mark II.

and re; Baws; Or Gekkos or Big Baws well that is entirely open to interpretation. Whether double entendre or cryptical innuendo.

Can we get back on track with our industry sized Wrecking Baws now you had your two seconds of fame? (since discredited)

Finn

Staff member
Moderator note

No assaults on member handles, please. If it made through the upkeep's vetting process, it's kosher.

If there's something that gets our friend banned in the end, it's all the non-sequiturs, not the name.

Montana Smith

Finn said:
If there's something that gets our friend banned in the end, it's all the non-sequiturs, not the name.

That would be a shame, since our friend is a cool breeze in Death Valley. Just not the breeze that anyone expected!

But then, nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition either.

:whip:

roundshort

Finn said:
No assaults on member handles, please. If it made through the upkeep's vetting process, it's kosher.

Trust me Finn we have seen his type here before (is this a rebirth of Clintonhammond?)

Seems (s)he is bit embarrassed to be called out on not know who wrote runner in the night. Back to Bruce, I gotta say Born in the U.S.A. is my favorite - even though it was high jacked by the gipper.

Bruce is one of those guys that needs to fade away (Stones)...

Stoo

Attila the Professor said:
I wouldn't believe everything Ronald Reagan tells you.
Indeed. Anyone who thinks that, "Born in the U.S.A.", is a patriotic song hasn't bothered listened to its lyrics.:rolleyes:
Smiffy said:
That would be a shame, since our friend is a cool breeze in Death Valley. Just not the breeze that anyone expected!
More like a stinky breeze, composed of methane gas, which exits from a posterior orifice.:sick:
roundshort said:
Bruce is one of those guys that needs to fade away (Stones)...
If you mean the song, "Not Fade Away", that is a Stones cover of a Buddy Holly tune.;)

Regarding Bruce Marble-Mouth Springsteen: The only album of his that I like is the simplistic, "Nebraska".

roundshort

Stoo said:
Indeed. Anyone who thinks that, "Born in the U.S.A.", is a patriotic song hasn't bothered listened to its lyrics.:rolleyes:
More like a stinky breeze, composed of methane gas, which exits from a posterior orifice.:sick:
If you mean the song, "Not Fade Away", that is a Stones cover of a Buddy Holly tune.;)

Regarding Bruce Marble-Mouth Springsteen: The only album of his that I like is the simplistic, "Nebraska".

Stoo, my Stones reference was, not matter how rockin you WERE when you don't need make up to look like zombies, maybe time to hang it up... And yes Buddy hung it up WAY to early!

If Born in the USA was an anti Vietnam protest song of sorts, what was Springsteen's disconnect with the America he was familiar with and grew up within? Poetic license tends to allow scope for interpretation. And maybe he intentionally penned it that way?

But why bring into question the governance, or political stance, of the country he is fortunate enough in which to reside - which allows him to exercise such liberties and freedoms that has been built on the back of many a man's back, and the sweat of his brow, and lest not forget how many fought - and died - in order for him to live in the land of the free..

Last edited: