The Lost Symbol

DARTH ZOIDBERG

Henry Jones VII said:
One of the biggest critics people are saying about Inferno, is that it looks like a tv movie. The camera work is horrendous, can you guys confirm this?
well USA Today said it was the best of the series and after seeing it today I would say it was at least as good as the first movie and better then Angels And Demons, I will read the book soon. I was surprised to see David Koep wrote the script and I liked Felicity Jones in this. I really liked the Indian guy from Jurassic World! and the Hans Zimmer score was really good, at times it reminded me of The Stranger Things Score!:) I really like Ron Howard Films he is a really good film maker IMHO !!!

AndyLGR

I'm a big fan of the Dan Brown books and I thought this book was a big improvement over The Lost Symbol, which they wisely IMO skipped to adapt Inferno instead.

Firstly I thought the locations were beautiful. I thought Tom Hanks, Felicity Jones and Irrfan Kahn were good. The book has lots of twists and reveals and some people might not like twists that mean what went before is turned on its head. I don't mind that and I thought the twists were handled well here.

I thought the score wasn't that good and was intrusive at times, something like this needs an orchestral score IMO. Some of the camera work and cuts were choppy with strange angles and sometimes too quick. I wouldn't say it came across as a TV movie though.

The lines are blurred throughout as to who's the good guys and who can be trusted and thats one of the aspects I liked about the book, but for me the shady organisation led by Irrfan Kahn wasn't explained quite well enough.

The ending is changed from the book, but I suppose it's a neater resolution for a film and less dark. It seemed that references to Dantes Inferno were cut down from what I remember in the book too.

Overall though I didn't think this was as bad as some reviews say. It's probably not as as good as Angels and Demons, but better than the Da Vinci Code adaptation (which I didn't enjoy that much). I'm glad I went to see it.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Streaming for free with ads on the unfortunately named NBC platform, Peacock. Pretty close to the source material so far. 10 episodes in all, then who knows what for the new younger Langdon actor.

curmudgeon

I've watched the first two episodes and it's hard for me to get past how very "network TV" the adaptation feels.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
That's about where I stopped but will try again. Cancelled, but told a "satisfying, complete story." They used to call this sort of thing a miniseries. Maybe the lead can return in Origin, swingin' divorcee Dan Brown's most recent book from 2017.